Chest Pain Caused From Carrying Heavy Bag?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm a sixth form student and for over a year now have been carrying one of those messenger styple bags where the strap goes over one of your shoulders. Usually I fill it with a lot of stuff and heavy text books hence its been putting pressure on the left side of my chest where the strap goes over for a long time. I generally now have a discomfort on the left side of my chest which I think has been caused by doing this. For example if during something like 2 week period off during christmas I don't have to wear my bag the pain after a few days practically almost completely goes away.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if this could have any serious health affects? I'm little worried that the weight of the bag has been putting pressure on my heart etc.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
No one think this is anything to worry about?
unborn-soul
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Use a trolley bag :dontknow:
Jambre
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I highly doubt it has anything to do with your heart. It is just strain caused by your bag. You should either reduce the weight of the bag or get a proper backpack else you may get back problems eventually.
OR MAN UP.
Enoch.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I doubt it. I spend practically my whole school life since praimary school) carrying heavy books and stuff and my chest is aright.
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Usually chest pain involving your heart is in the centre of your chest, not the left. Plus you're not likely to have heart problems at your age, and carrying a heavy bag wont really exacerbate anything serious! If you're worried, go see your GP, however I'd be happy to bet that the pain you're getting is to do with strain on your pectoral muscles. I personally get a similar pain after going to the gym, or even after running.
monkeytine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know this is old, but just in case anyone else stumbles upon this, yes. Chest pain can be caused by heavy bags! It may not effect everyone, as some people may have more tolerance to weight, or better posture. I had been fearful for years about my pain in the left side of my chest. I had EKGs and xrays done and nothing ever showed up. My blood pressure is on the lower side, my cholesterol is great, and my resting heart rate is normal. It suddenly clicked one day that the only thing that is constantly (and only) on my left side, is my heavy messenger bag style purse. I ALWAYS carry it on the left shoulder. I did an experiment and switched to my right side. And sure enough, I started having chest pains on my right side! The pains feel scary sometimes, because it can be a sharp pain or a long lasting dull ache. Apparently heavy bags can inflame the ribs and cause these types of pains. I now know why my chiropractor always told me to lighten my purse!
Erika111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your answer really helped me! I was looking through the entire internet to find an answer like that, because I am having similar symptoms that sometimes make me feel anxious. I had been carrying my laptop bag on my left arm for almost 2 years and I had back discomfort. After switching to a normal back laptop bag, I started to have - now and then - something like nerve pain on the left side of my chest. This symptom disappeared a few weeks later. And for the last 2 weeks that I am carrying again my old bag on the left arm, I am having again chest pain on the left side. I am going to have it checked on a doctor today but I hope this nerve pain is caused by the heaviness of the laptop.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a sixth form student and for over a year now have been carrying one of those messenger styple bags where the strap goes over one of your shoulders. Usually I fill it with a lot of stuff and heavy text books hence its been putting pressure on the left side of my chest where the strap goes over for a long time. I generally now have a discomfort on the left side of my chest which I think has been caused by doing this. For example if during something like 2 week period off during christmas I don't have to wear my bag the pain after a few days practically almost completely goes away.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if this could have any serious health affects? I'm little worried that the weight of the bag has been putting pressure on my heart etc.
I'm having the same issue! My left breast hurts and feels bruised after using a heavy bag like that. I also feel a little itchy-burning sensation. I was very worried at first but I couldn't feel any lumps...until I found the reason!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.09%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
21.21%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads