This discussion is closed.
Sparkly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi!
I was just wondering; I've got offers from Durham, York and Nottingham so far and I'm still waiting for Bristol and St Andrews. I noticed that Durham and York aren't part of the Russell group and I am seriously considering taking up my offer at Durham. Would it be better to go to a uni that is in the Russell group (are they viewed as more prestigious?) or is Durham seen as just as good?

I'm confused!!!

Joanne :-)
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sparkly)
Hi!
I was just wondering; I've got offers from Durham, York and Nottingham so far and I'm still waiting for Bristol and St Andrews. I noticed that Durham and York aren't part of the Russell group and I am seriously considering taking up my offer at Durham. Would it be better to go to a uni that is in the Russell group (are they viewed as more prestigious?) or is Durham seen as just as good?

I'm confused!!!

Ahh you needn't worry. The Russell Group does consist of some very good universities, however, there are some notable absences, i.e. York and Durham as you point out. The group is self selected, it's not based on any independent allocation. It makes absolutely no difference to your employment prospects. Simply go about attempting to choose whatever university is right for you, go on the usual academic and personal criteria.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi!

I'm confused!!!

the russell group does as yet mean very little, i imagine it will become more important in the future though. what subject are you applying for? i would think wisely before choosing durham over york or notts anyway..
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi!

I'm confused!!!

Erm, first of all, congratulations!!! All the unis you've mentioned are prestigious in their own right, esp. Durham I think. To be honest I don't know who's in the Russell Group and who's not, I thought Durham was part of that, anyway. I don't think it really matters. All of them are excellent, employers know that. You're very lucky to have offers from these three unis, i'm still waiting to hear from Durham. I believe that all of them are roughly equal, you should choose the place which suits you best.

I hope this help a little bit. Which subject have you applied for?
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
the russell group does as yet mean very little, i imagine it will become more important in the future though. what subject are you applying for? i would think wisely before choosing durham over york or notts anyway..

The label 'Russell Group' isn't in itself going to mean a great deal. Take for example the Ivy league, there are very many universities outside of it that are regarded as being just as (in many cases even more) prestigious, i.e. Stanford, MIT, Chicago being just 3 examples. People confuse cause and effect here, the universities within the Ivy league are all very prestigious, however, they're prestigious on merit, rather than merely due to being in the Ivy league.

Therefore, in the US (as well as the UK) one would be best advised to judge an institution on merit, rather than in/exclusion from the Ivy league. Even then, many of the Ivies do well, but that's NOT BECAUSE they're in the Ivy league.

Personally, I would go for Notts/York, that's nothing to do with Russell Group 'status' though.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi!

I'm confused!!!

The Russell group means nothing. Don't you have anything else to worry about?
Lizard
Report 16 years ago
Hi!

I'm confused!!!

The criteria for inclusion in the Russell Group (which as somebody pointed out is self-selected) was to be a large research oriented university. Thus smaller, but highly respected unis such as Bath, York or Durham, which do not attract the volume of research funding of a UCL or even a Newcastle or a Liverpool, are not members. A lot of (careless, ignorant) journalists have started using the term 'Russell Group' as a shorthand for 'top' or 'most prestigious.' This is inaccurate and silly. For a thorough tho slightly out of date explanation, see http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russel...f+Universities
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi!
Would it be better to go to a uni that is in the Russell group (are they viewed as more prestigious?) or is Durham seen as just as good?

The Russell Group contains a lot of questionable members, and is only a fancy way for the 'division one' universities to claim that they're up there with the 'premier league' universities.

Durham, one of the oldest and most presitigious universities in the UK, is traditionally seen as an Oxbridge alternative. In fact, it is the only university outside Oxbridge where you are permitted to name the institute after your own name, e.g. Joe Bloggs BA (Hons) (Dunelm).

From what I've heard, Durham is not in the Russell Group since the Vice-chancellor is unwilling to fork out the £50,000 annual subscription. And rightly so.

It is only a name.

J.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (239)
61.6%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.64%
No- I want it (105)
27.06%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.7%

Watched Threads