The Student Room Group

Can you quit the sixth form?

Hi guys, long time reader but first time poster here.

I was just wondering if it's possible for me to quit the sixth form? I'm currently studying 3 subjects (I dropped my fourth) and am doing very badly due to a number of absences and severe lack of motivation. I only got into the sixth form on a contract and my review will be coming up soon which I believe wont go well enough for me to stay.

So I was just wondering if I would be able to leave the sixth form, and have a bit of time to consider what in going to do next?

Thanks in advance,
Alex
yes.

no one's forcing you to go to sixth form
Yes you can quit.

But i advise you to think very carefully, as if you change your mind after leaving, you'll have to pay for the qualification if you want to go back. And jobs are so scarse at the moment. So it's not the best of ideas.

But it's totally up to you
Reply 3
Are you guys sure though? I has meeting with some of the teachers at school and they said I could only quit if I had something else to go to like a job. They are the sort of teachers to BS me into staying though. I just want to be sure if I can definitely quit, and possibly look at a college course next year?
What makes you think college will go any better?
Reply 5
Original post by HistoryRepeating
What makes you think college will go any better?

The fact that I will actually be studying what I want to do later in life? I'm not 100% sure if I want to go to college yet, I need some time to decide but I definitely don't want to do sixth form.
Reply 6
Like others have said, yes... but you'll probably have to pay for a college course unless you're 17/18.
Original post by B_2the_eano
Are you guys sure though? I has meeting with some of the teachers at school and they said I could only quit if I had something else to go to like a job. They are the sort of teachers to BS me into staying though. I just want to be sure if I can definitely quit, and possibly look at a college course next year?

they can't make you do anything, you've done your gcse's, that's all you're legally obligated to do, you can leave any time you want now
Not doing college/6th form in some form or other is, for most people, a guaranteed life of poverty.
Reply 9
Original post by Shelly_x
Like others have said, yes... but you'll probably have to pay for a college course unless you're 17/18.

I'm 17 and still will be when the next school year begins.

Original post by basketofsnakes
they can't make you do anything, you've done your gcse's, that's all you're legally obligated to do, you can leave any time you want now

Ok thanks for letting me know!

Original post by HistoryRepeating
Not doing college/6th form in some form or other is, for most people, a guaranteed life of poverty.

I should be at college next year, I'm not one of these people that sits at home all day living a Jeremy Kyle lifestyle.
Reply 10
Yes, people at my sixth form are drpping out like flies.
Reply 11
Original post by B_2the_eano

You mean... They care about what happens to you?

They sound like real *****!
Reply 12
Original post by Traceur
You mean... They care about what happens to you?

They sound like real *****!

No, they don't care at all what happens to me. Our school is lacking funds badly and they need every pupil possible to get as much money as they can.
Loads of people quit my sixth form. Some had college placements to go to instead, but not all of them did.

If you think that it's the right thing to do, you could quit and then start somewhere else next year. Think about it carefully though or you might regret it.
Reply 14
you could always drop out at the end of y12 than go to college.I was told to leave sixth form and i can say it was for the better.
Reply 15
You have gone past the compulsory school age, so you can quit. You're not obliged to stay there and no-one can force you to stay. I wouldn't worry about this contract that you're talking about. If you no longer attend then it will become obvious that you can't continue the year because you wouldn't have done the work to be able to do your assessments. So if you want to quit all you have to do is TELL not ASK them and don't attend any more.

From personal experience, I understand where you're coming from. I went to sixth form and it was my biggest regret. If you go to College, you will be treated more like an adult and you will get the skills of independant study that you would need for Uni, as opposed to being spoon fed in sixth form. So my advice is take a break because its a lot of pressure on you at this phase of your life, so if you feel everything is going too fast then you just need to take a break and reflect.

Hope this helps!

PM me if you need any further advice! :wink:
help me im located at towers sixth form send emergency help please!!!!!!!
Reply 17
Hi im in the same situation
Yo what u doing now lad, I’m thinking of doing the same thing
Original post by GookKnight
help me im located at towers sixth form send emergency help please!!!!!!!

Were you okay???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending