The Student Room Group

Prescribing Beta-blockers

Scroll to see replies

Too many pluralise 'palpitation.'

Anyway, with that little bit of housekeeping out of the way, sounds like sugar pills would do the trick. Placebo-driven capsulated happiness, everybody wins.
Original post by tbm
Why dont you just get some Rescue Remedy or something???

Because they don't work?
Reply 22
Original post by Jamie
Some can say whatever they like
Beta-blockers should not be given to someone for a sporting event, or an interview.

A doctor will not prescribe them for this purpose.

Doctors do give them for this purpose.
Reply 23
Original post by Entangled
Too many pluralise 'palpitation.'

Anyway, with that little bit of housekeeping out of the way, sounds like sugar pills would do the trick. Placebo-driven capsulated happiness, everybody wins.

Although a 'sugar pill' would not antagonise the beta adrenoreceptor.
Reply 24
Original post by Sean3000
Although a 'sugar pill' would not antagonise the beta adrenoreceptor.
It wouldn't need to.
Reply 25
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Because they don't work?

Well regardless, prescribing beta blockers just for an interview seems pretty extreme to me!

I would suggest you try it without them OP. How are you going to cope if you cant even manage an interview without pills?
Doctors do give them for this purpose.

Seriously dude, we get that you want to do medicine, but you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Doctors do not give out propanolol willy nilly.

Certainly not for an interview

If you have seen it done then that person has displayed poor judgement and aught to be challenged on their behaviour.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Renal
It wouldn't need to.

I get the point you're making, but I do think we have strayed off topic somewhat. Whether it's down to the placebo affect or not, GP's DO prescribe propanalol for performance anxiety, I've seen it with my own eyes. Whether it's right or wrong isnt really for me to say!
I'm not gonna go sifting through RCT's on propanalol but it's been around for a while and (as you will know) it has a place in the treatment of autonomic overdrive in other conditions too (graves disease).
Reply 28
Original post by Jamie
Seriously dude, we get that you want to do medicine, but you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Doctors do not give out propanolol willy nilly.

Certainly not for an interview

If you have seen it done then that person has displayed poor judgement and aught to be challenged on their behaviour

lol.
Reply 29
Page 95 of the BNF-59 March 2010.....

"beta blockers have been used to alleviate some symptoms of anxiety; probably patients with palpitation, tremor and tachycardia respond best"

Propranalol specifically "Anxiety with symptoms such as palpitation, sweating, tremor, 40mg once daily, increased to 40mg 3 times daily if necessary".

"beta blockers have been used to alleviate some symptoms of anxiety; probably patients with palpitation, tremor and tachycardia respond best"

Propranalol specifically "Anxiety with symptoms such as palpitation, sweating, tremor, 40mg once daily, increased to 40mg 3 times daily if necessary".

Seriously give it up.
I know full well propranolol can be used to reduce the external sequela of anxiety. Its hardly ground breaking pharmacology.

It is not however given for one off episodes like interviews, sporting events or dates.
(edited 13 years ago)

There are quite a few doctors giving their opinion in this thread sonny...

Wouldn't be very impressive if you keeled over running for your bus on the way to the interview, would it...
Seriously, if you can't get through the stress of a medicine interview (I'm assuming that's what it's for) then good luck for the course and the rest of your life :gthumb: And like what's already been said, I can't imagine that it's common, accepted practice for beta-blockers to be prescribed for one-off events like interviews.
Reply 34
Original post by Jamie
Seriously give it up.
I know full well propranolol can be used to reduce the external sequela of anxiety. Its hardly ground breaking pharmacology.

It is not however given for one off episodes like interviews, sporting events or dates.

I never suggested they be given for one off events.
Reply 35
Original post by digitalis
There are quite a few doctors giving their opinion in this thread sonny...

And there are quite a few doctors prescribing propranalol for social phobia. I am not saying it's good or bad practice, I'm merely saying it's done.
Reply 36
Original post by digitalis
Wouldn't be very impressive if you keeled over running for your bus on the way to the interview, would it...

Take it up with the BNF.
Reply 37
The purpose of anxiety is to ensure optimal performance; trying something as important as an admissions interview without it would be bizzare. Interviews are tough - we've all been there, been nervous and had a hard time, but have survived them. Medical school is highly pressured and I'm reliably informed that working as a doctor is too. If you can't cope with the stress of interviews then medicine probably won't be right for you.

Don't think taking beta-blockers would be much use anyway. Bear in mind too the side effects which are not insignificant, especially with propranalol which has poor cardioselectivity (i.e. B1-adr R affinity: other B-adr R affinities), but even atenolol and bisoprolol have significant effects on cardiac physiology which would be largely undesired. I doubt a doctor would prescribe you them, but I'm not sure why you want them anyway.
I never suggested they be given for one off events.

Sean you are being a bit silly.

I said

"Beta-blockers should not be given to someone for a sporting event, or an interview.

A doctor will not prescribe them for this purpose."

To which you replied

"Doctors do give them for this purpose. "
Have a shot of vodka

Quick Reply

Latest