Sadia 321
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi folks,

Im a mature student ( 27yrs old) currently studying for my AS levels in Chem and Bio (already have 2 A levels at grade A and B) and would really like to go into Dentistry. I've had a look at the entry requirements for dentistry and most of it i can do!! But Manual Dexterity??? I have studied Art at A level which I got an grade A, is that ok?? or would i need to show something else for this requirement??

I already work part-time but am looking into finding work experience at a dentist locally but im a bit apprehensive about the fact that im a muture student and would it be a problem?? Plus, how much voluntary work experience do i need?? and what departments of dentistry would i need to cover??

Extra curriculum activities?? what sort of activities should i be doin?? I am at the gym but i wouldnt call that an 'activity??

I'm also going to start my voluntary work at the Local hospital (caring for the community bit)...

Anything else that could help me, please feel free to add...

Much Appreciated

Sadia
gene-ius
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sadia 321)
Hi folks,

Im a mature student ( 27yrs old) currently studying for my AS levels in Chem and Bio (already have 2 A levels at grade A and B) and would really like to go into Dentistry. I've had a look at the entry requirements for dentistry and most of it i can do!! But Manual Dexterity??? I have studied Art at A level which I got an grade A, is that ok?? or would i need to show something else for this requirement??

I already work part-time but am looking into finding work experience at a dentist locally but im a bit apprehensive about the fact that im a muture student and would it be a problem?? Plus, how much voluntary work experience do i need?? and what departments of dentistry would i need to cover??

Extra curriculum activities?? what sort of activities should i be doin?? I am at the gym but i wouldnt call that an 'activity??

I'm also going to start my voluntary work at the Local hospital (caring for the community bit)...

Anything else that could help me, please feel free to add...

Much Appreciated

Sadia
Hi there!

Right, well. Firstly, you would have to do both the full A level in Chemistry AND Biology, as you will need 3 A's at A level (so the B you have already isn't good enough). Once you have AAAB you will be able to apply, though you will need to research your universities carefully, as many will not allow people to have done A levels over more than 2 years. You can check your personal situation by emailing the universities that you are interested in - this is always the best option.

Studying art to A level is a great example of manual dexterity - you should take in some of your best work/your art portfolio if you get an interview, just to prove your skills. Aside from that, have you ever done anything like playing a musical instrument, knitting, cross-stitching, model making? Anything like that would be a bonus, but art is a good example as it is.

With regards to work experience, you will need a minimum of 2 working weeks (ie. 10 days), which should be in a general dental practice. It will also help to have a little bit of variety on top of that, so maybe at an ortho or in a dental hospital or dental lab?!
Being a mature student will not hinder you getting any work experience. The easiest way to obtain it is just by calling all the dental practices in your area and asking if they will have you to shadow/observe for a few days/weeks. A lot of people find it hard to find placements, but you have plenty of time to start sorting this out.

Your voluntary work sounds great - keep it up! And maybe it would be good to get involved with some other extra-curricular activity. Have you ever played any team sports? Or got involved with a local group or some sort? You will need to demonstrate teamwork and leadership in your application.

Good luck with it all - hope this helped!
Dental tech
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi Sadia

I am in a similar position to you i have 2 A levels and am looking to return to uni to study Dentistry hopefully in about 2 years time. I have already a degree and am currently working as a dental nurse from which i will be qualified in march and am then going to work part time and look to study for chemistry and biology Alevels.

I would ask around at your local NHS and private dental practices to get some experience as we have loads of people coming in for work experience and it does tend to be the more mature ones that take the most intrest, alot of the youger ones even have the cheak to play with their phone while the patient is in the chair which shows their level of intrest!

I have a degree in dental technology which shows the manual dexterity i hold however, you could always go down to a dental lab and ask to do some experience there as this will show your manual dexterity and even help you to learn with hands on experience with models, dental appliances even learning more about the anatomy from the models you make.

In addition you could also go to maxilofacial departments inhospitals and orthodontics i think this would all help! i know admissions like to see leadership qualities so anything demonstrating that is good.

Ihope this helps as i get alot of advice luckily from where i work x
Sadia 321
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by gene-ius)
Hi there!

Right, well. Firstly, you would have to do both the full A level in Chemistry AND Biology, as you will need 3 A's at A level (so the B you have already isn't good enough). Once you have AAAB you will be able to apply, though you will need to research your universities carefully, as many will not allow people to have done A levels over more than 2 years. You can check your personal situation by emailing the universities that you are interested in - this is always the best option.

Studying art to A level is a great example of manual dexterity - you should take in some of your best work/your art portfolio if you get an interview, just to prove your skills. Aside from that, have you ever done anything like playing a musical instrument, knitting, cross-stitching, model making? Anything like that would be a bonus, but art is a good example as it is.

With regards to work experience, you will need a minimum of 2 working weeks (ie. 10 days), which should be in a general dental practice. It will also help to have a little bit of variety on top of that, so maybe at an ortho or in a dental hospital or dental lab?!
Being a mature student will not hinder you getting any work experience. The easiest way to obtain it is just by calling all the dental practices in your area and asking if they will have you to shadow/observe for a few days/weeks. A lot of people find it hard to find placements, but you have plenty of time to start sorting this out.

Your voluntary work sounds great - keep it up! And maybe it would be good to get involved with some other extra-curricular activity. Have you ever played any team sports? Or got involved with a local group or some sort? You will need to demonstrate teamwork and leadership in your application.

Good luck with it all - hope this helped!
Hi there!,
Thank u for your advice, much appreciated!!
I have managed to get a placement at a private dentist for next year and still looking for more.. maybe in a dental lab!
Will try to squeeze in some netball sessions but really lackin time now lol...
denture1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From my experience GCSE's mean nothing especially with you back ground its slightly different rules for mature/postgrad.
FUNKmilitia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is some good advice in here, I wish I was able to see it before I start to pursue dentistry as a mature student! I managed to get a place to study dentistry at Newcastle via access in the end and have spoken about the journey to get there in my blog here.

In it I talk about things like the pros and cons of A levels versus the Access course, tips for the UKCAT and personal statement and general fears like do I live in halls, can I get involved fully with freshers week and all those silly things!

Good luck to anybody thinking of retraining, go for it, you will not regret it!
I.LoveSyria.Aleppo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Sadia!
I was just wondering that 6 years later what happened, did you manage to get into dentistry and if yes would be great to know how you found it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads