The Student Room Group

Stressing about TOK essay

HELP I have a TOK essay to give in in just a couple of weeks, and I have no idea what to include in my essay... I don't even know where to start. The title is, "Different cultures have Different truths" "A truth is that which can be accepted universally". What are the implications for knowledge of agreeing with these opposing statements?
Where do I start to research? What examples shall I include? Which different cultures should I refer to which are more distinctive from each other? And "Linda", I don't need any comments from you!
Reply 1
This is specifically an Oxbridge forum, sorry.
Reply 2
kika
HELP I have a TOK essay to give in in just a couple of weeks, and I have no idea what to include in my essay... I don't even know where to start. The title is, "Different cultures have Different truths" "A truth is that which can be accepted universally". What are the implications for knowledge of agreeing with these opposing statements?
Where do I start to research? What examples shall I include? Which different cultures should I refer to which are more distinctive from each other? And "Linda", I don't need any comments from you!

I don't do the IB. However, this is quite a great title. I think that one interesting thing to look at would be religion. Certainly individual cultures (of which there are many) regard their own faith as the "truth." This raises the question "Can one religion be true?"

Also there is no "universal" acceptance of one faith. However, most faiths carry aspects which are similar to other beliefs.

I think the key point about the quotations is this: The conflict lies with the words "different cultures" and "universal." A "truth" can be universally accepted within a certain culture but rarely "universalyl"

I hope what I have written isn't too confusing (it's quite hard to write only a little!)

Also for an interesting, ironic literary reference look at the very opening lines of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice".

Hope this helps! :smile:

Adam
Reply 3
Reply 4
Stop whinging
Reply 5
Girton
This is specifically an Oxbridge forum, sorry.

Seriously, get a grip. I know it says Oxbridge and technically it's only to do with all things Oxbridge and that appeals to people who sit around all day thinking about Oxbridge. But if someone asks a question I think it's fair enough to answer even if it is on a "Chocolate-Orange lover's" message board............................ (they should really invent that!)

If people don't want to read it they don't have to. Stop going on.

Adam
Reply 6
Um, one of us is going on...

Latest

Trending

Trending