The Student Room Group

Norethisterone AND the pill.

I currently take yasmin as a contraceptive - but it is causing intermittent bleeding. I'm going on holiday with my partner next weekend and don't want to be bleeding. I have some norethisterone left that my doctor prescribed last time I was on holiday (but was not on the pill then).

Basically is is safe to take both yasmin and norethisterone together - to stop the bleeding but be protected from pregnancy? Or will the 15mg daily dose of norethisterone protect me from pregnancy anyway?

I'm trying to get an appointment at the family planning clinic but I'm not having any luck so I appreciate your advice thank you.
Reply 1
Anyone??
Reply 2
Norethisterone doesn't protect you from pregnancy

I know you can take the pill with the implant to stop continuous bleeding, so I guess 2 hormonal treatments can be taken at the same time and wont mess things up.

Have you tried asking for a phone appointment with the family planning clinic/ur gp?
Norethisterone full on messed me up. It might be different for you, but don't take it for a sustained period of time.

Can you not just go to the clinic so they can prescribe you with another form of the contraceptive pill, or if you can't make it, stop the pills, take norethisterone, and use condoms?
Reply 4
Original post by greenfly125
Norethisterone full on messed me up. It might be different for you, but don't take it for a sustained period of time.

Can you not just go to the clinic so they can prescribe you with another form of the contraceptive pill, or if you can't make it, stop the pills, take norethisterone, and use condoms?

How did it mess you up? I'll only be taking it for to cover me for the weekend. I don't even know if I should bother taking it. Too much information maybe but the bleeding isn't heavy at all, its more like spotting/light discharge you get at the end of a period and it might stop before we go away but I just don't want it to spoil our romantic weekend :frown:

When I took it a couple of years back to stop my period during a family holiday it game me headaches and a bit of nausea but nothing too bad. I timed our weekend around my 'time' on yasmin - so it would be at a time where I'm not meant to be bleeding it isn't fairrrr :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
How did it mess you up? I'll only be taking it for to cover me for the weekend. I don't even know if I should bother taking it. Too much information maybe but the bleeding isn't heavy at all, its more like spotting/light discharge you get at the end of a period and it might stop before we go away but I just don't want it to spoil our romantic weekend :frown:

When I took it a couple of years back to stop my period during a family holiday it game me headaches and a bit of nausea but nothing too bad. I timed our weekend around my 'time' on yasmin - so it would be at a time where I'm not meant to be bleeding it isn't fairrrr :frown:

Same sort of things to you. Headaches, sicky feeling, cramps, tiredness. If you're only taking it for a weekend, and it's coming up, I'd start taking it soon, so you don't miss it. If I remember correctly you have to take it 3 days before a period?
Though yasmin and norethisterone don't seem like a healthy combination. I wouldn't be happy taking all those pills with contradicting hormones.
Looks like you might have to suck it up [life's a bitch right?], then get round to changing the type of pill when you get back from your hols if it's bothering you that much.
Original post by Anonymous
I currently take yasmin as a contraceptive - but it is causing intermittent bleeding. I'm going on holiday with my partner next weekend and don't want to be bleeding. I have some norethisterone left that my doctor prescribed last time I was on holiday (but was not on the pill then).

Basically is is safe to take both yasmin and norethisterone together - to stop the bleeding but be protected from pregnancy? Or will the 15mg daily dose of norethisterone protect me from pregnancy anyway?

I'm trying to get an appointment at the family planning clinic but I'm not having any luck so I appreciate your advice thank you.

Hi I was wondering what you did in the end? I just took my first norethisterone pill, I'm taking it for 4days only, but I want to start the combined pill once I finish norethiaterone and have my period? Do you have any advice from your experience or what your gp said if you got advice??
Hi,

Can you let me know how you got on with this?

I'm in the exact same situation as you.
I was in norethisterone for last 8days den on 9th day I took i-pill & on 10day I got in small amount of spot like bleed & den nthng is everything fn as I took both norethisterone & i pill vl I get my period normal pls help me out
Pls help me pls reply

Quick Reply

Latest