This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Man Utd aren't really too reliant on Van Nistelrooy, well not as much as Henry anyways. Man Utd usually use a 4-4-1-1 system and a lot of goals do come from midfield as well (ie.Scholes) while with Arsenal, they just have Henry upfront doing the scoring with 2 fast wingers who just pass/cross. I'm not sure about the purchase of Saha though. I think he will be another Forlan, not in goal scoring sense but I don't think a Van Nistelrooy/Saha combo is good enough. I would have preferred a more world-class striker like Raul or Vieri, even if they are impossible to get (ie.Raul). Anyways, I think Man Utd should sign just one more promising young player like Van Buyten, Robben or Van der Vaart in the summer and they will be more feared again.
Yeah, good point. But i think Saha does have the potential to become a great player. Its just whether he will develop at united or not.
And i'm sure that they will buy a couple of young stars in the summer, as that is more where man u head, rather than buying proven older players.
What i don't understand though is why Ronaldo (cristiano) isn't being played as a second striker off nistelrooy. I think they would work brilliantly together.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
yeh, so arrogant we use dodgy agents and unsettle players, and then sell loyal players like a piece of meat and if they don't want to go then just freeze them out of the team, oh no, that man u.
I agree. And yea, Arsenal have won the Premiership (which might backfire again but who knows). Happy now?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by way2go)
Yep, I reckon that, but I don't think Saha is the right man for the job. He doesn't want to sit on the bank, he wants to play. He is a young boy. It might be better for Man United to get an experienced striker, who has already played his best games, but still knows how to do it.

I am thinking of Van Hooydonk.
That isn't what united are about. They don't really buy older players, they go for young talent.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
yeh, so arrogant we use dodgy agents and unsettle players, and then sell loyal players like a piece of meat and if they don't want to go then just freeze them out of the team, oh no, that man u.
Do you?
Well that isn't arrogance. Man U know how to get players they want, but they don't do anything as bad as the media hype suggests.
Loyal Players???
Like who?
David Beckham maybe? Who became too arrogant and obsessed with himself, that he forgot the team?
I don't know where these statements are coming from.
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
That isn't what united are about. They don't really buy older players, they go for young talent.
lol, like laurent blanc
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you?
Well that isn't arrogance. Man U know how to get players they want, but they don't do anything as bad as the media hype suggests.
Loyal Players???
Like who?
David Beckham maybe? Who became too arrogant and obsessed with himself, that he forgot the team?
I don't know where these statements are coming from.
butt, barthez, stam
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
lol, like laurent blanc
Wow, one name!
And that was before Fergie signed the new contract, and got back into buying long term.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
butt, barthez, stam
Butt was a mutual decision, as he was not getting games at Man U. There was certainly no problems between Butt and Man U.
Unfortunately for Barthez, he has lost his edge, and Howard came along performing brilliantly, and deservedly became number one.
This is unfortunate, but not down to any bad play on behalf of Man U.
Stam was arrogant, self absorbed and certainly not a team player at united, and had no respect for fergie. He certainly wasn't loyal to the club or the manager.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Butt was a mutual decision, as he was not getting games at Man U. There was certainly no problems between Butt and Man U.
Unfortunately for Barthez, he has lost his edge, and Howard came along performing brilliantly, and deservedly became number one.
This is unfortunate, but not down to any bad play on behalf of Man U.
Stam was arrogant, self absorbed and certainly not a team player at united, and had no respect for fergie. He certainly wasn't loyal to the club or the manager.
butt says he wants to leave, fergie actually wants to keep him on the benches, so there clearly is a clash.
Barthez is still a world class keeper, and if you were trying to get rid of him during the summer. How he's been treated is disgraceful.
And how you've all changed, you all used to love Stam and then he suddenly left and all the United fans were outraged (esp as Blanc was his replacement).
Beckham never did anything wrong for united, and always played 100%. He got big, maybe bigger than Man U, but he never dropped his performances.
I'm guessing signing Saha means an end to Forlan, a hugely promising youngster who's career stalls at Man U.
Also, Yorke and Cole, sold even after putting in great performances, but before that made to sit it out on the edges of the team.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
butt says he wants to leave, fergie actually wants to keep him on the benches, so there clearly is a clash.
Barthez is still a world class keeper, and if you were trying to get rid of him during the summer. How he's been treated is disgraceful.
And how you've all changed, you all used to love Stam and then he suddenly left and all the United fans were outraged (esp as Blanc was his replacement).
Beckham never did anything wrong for united, and always played 100%. He got big, maybe bigger than Man U, but he never dropped his performances.
I'm guessing signing Saha means an end to Forlan, a hugely promising youngster who's career stalls at Man U.
Also, Yorke and Cole, sold even after putting in great performances, but before that made to sit it out on the edges of the team.
Well of course fergie wanted to keep him, but he let him go by his own request, so there is no clash.
Barthez is erratic, and does not belong at a top class club any more.
But surely you agree on the way Barthez was treated? Look at the way arsenal treated Seaman! He was totally loyal, and was not offered a new contract or anything!
No, i never used to love Stam. I respected his ability at the time, but no player has the right to be so disrespectful to the manager and club, especially without cause.
Beckham was arrogant. Man U doesn't have a culture of arrogance about it, unlike Arsenal for instance.
Forlan did not perform to begin with. He is a better player now, but still isn't more than a substitute, filling the role of solskjaer now he's switched to midfield. Its a shame that he has not as yet developed to the player he could be, but that is because of himself, not Man U, as countless players have proved.
Yorke and Cole... well i agree, they were performing well, but performances dropped, and i believe that Man U were right to sell them in the end.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well of course fergie wanted to keep him, but he let him go by his own request, so there is no clash.
Barthez is erratic, and does not belong at a top class club any more.
But surely you agree on the way Barthez was treated? Look at the way arsenal treated Seaman! He was totally loyal, and was not offered a new contract or anything!
No, i never used to love Stam. I respected his ability at the time, but no player has the right to be so disrespectful to the manager and club, especially without cause.
Beckham was arrogant. Man U doesn't have a culture of arrogance about it, unlike Arsenal for instance.
Forlan did not perform to begin with. He is a better player now, but still isn't more than a substitute, filling the role of solskjaer now he's switched to midfield. Its a shame that he has not as yet developed to the player he could be, but that is because of himself, not Man U, as countless players have proved.
Yorke and Cole... well i agree, they were performing well, but performances dropped, and i believe that Man U were right to sell them in the end.
Butt is good enough to play regularly in the united midfield, yet he doesn't. Of course there's a clash, he wants out.
Seaman, you're joking right? Can't even compare it. Seaman wanted to stay on for 2 years, Wenger offered 1 and only as a reserve, because he didn't think he could make it through another season, and look how right he was. Barthez doesn't look like he'll doing to badly in France, and will almost certainly be the French no1 in Euro2004.
Stam was sold because he wrote a book and exposed Fergie for what he is.
Beckham never let his arrogance (if you can call it that) affect him on the pitch, which is all that should matter. Not sure who you are calling arrogant when you talk about Arsenal.
Forlan put in some performances on the pitch this season, but was never given a long enough run in the team, so yes it is to do with Man U.
Yorke and Cole were frozen out of the team even though they'd put the performances in.
As for buying just young players, what about van Nistelrooy and Veron??
way2go
Report 16 years ago
I believe this event took place afterwards. I am not sure though.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Butt is good enough to play regularly in the united midfield, yet he doesn't. Of course there's a clash, he wants out.
Seaman, you're joking right? Can't even compare it. Seaman wanted to stay on for 2 years, Wenger offered 1 and only as a reserve, because he didn't think he could make it through another season, and look how right he was. Barthez doesn't look like he'll doing to badly in France, and will almost certainly be the French no1 in Euro2004.
Beckham never let his arrogance (if you can call it that) affect him on the pitch, which is all that should matter. Not sure who you are calling arrogant when you talk about Arsenal.
Forlan put in some performances on the pitch this season, but was never given a long enough run in the team, so yes it is to do with Man U.
Yorke and Cole were frozen out of the team even though they'd put the performances in.
As for buying just young players, what about van Nistelrooy and Veron??
Ermm... well he obviously isn't, simply because he doesn't.
Yes, it is the same. Except that Seaman was even more loyal to arsenal than Barthez ever could be to united.
French number 1! Who else do they have?
Well if performance on the pitch was all that mattered, then... well, it wouldn't be possible for that to be all that matters.
Arsenal are an arrogant club. They have an arrogant manager. They have arrogant players (which is understandable as half the teams french!!!), and they certainly have arrogant fans.
Yes, Forlan performed reasonably well, but only as a stand in, not a first teamer.
Nistelrooy was 25 when he signed for united. Thats hardly old.
And Veron was 26. That certainly isn't old either.
Yorke and Cole weren't frozen out. If they had played well enough, they would not have been sold.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ermm... well he obviously isn't, simply because he doesn't.
Yes, it is the same. Except that Seaman was even more loyal to arsenal than Barthez ever could be to united.
French number 1! Who else do they have?
Well if performance on the pitch was all that mattered, then... well, it wouldn't be possible for that to be all that matters.
Arsenal are an arrogant club. They have an arrogant manager. They have arrogant players (which is understandable as half the teams french!!!), and they certainly have arrogant fans.
Yes, Forlan performed reasonably well, but only as a stand in, not a first teamer.
Nistelrooy was 25 when he signed for united. Thats hardly old.
And Veron was 26. That certainly isn't old either.
Yorke and Cole weren't frozen out. If they had played well enough, they would not have been sold.
Phil Neville, better than Butt, lol.
Seaman was loyal, and Arsenal looked after him for years and years. His contract was up, and Wenger didn't believe he could see out another season, and look he was right. Its totally differrent to Barthez. France also have Frey and Cech, their keeper options are better than England's.
If by arrogant you mean skillful, then I agree. You seem to be jealous that someone can build a club on less than a 1/3 of the budget and still be at a par, or even better than you. As for arrogant fans, you just have to look at the number of couch-supporters or exective prawn-sandwich brigade that say they support Man U.
Nistelrooy and Veron were established players when they came to ManU, Veron's status as a world class midfielder suddenly came to a halt at ManU.
Yorke and Cole were frozen out for at least a year, more for Yorke I think.
Rio's so arrogant he apparently doesn't have to take a drugs test.
Man U are so arrogant that they think they can start Rio's ban, and then appeal. What do they think that'll achieve, probably just a longer ban.
Man U are so arrogant that they don't believe they have to abide by FIFA's rules regrading transfers. They've already had complaints about tapping players from numerous clubs, and lost Ronaldhino because of they way they do business.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Come on guys, all this arguing ain't going to take us anywhere. Just wait until the end of the season.....
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Come on guys, all this arguing ain't going to take us anywhere. Just wait until the end of the season.....
what's the point of football is you can't argue with rivals?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed