Is Physics Essential for Optometry?

Which subjects do you have to do?

p.s - for AS/A2
raveen789
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No my cousin did it he went to Aston he had physics however my other Cousin had Biology and Chemistry, but i think Aston want physics, my other cousin went to Manchester.
TheFootyKing19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Can i also ask what A levels did they achieve?
raveen789
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well my older cousin who went to Aston about 5 years ago achieved AABB in his A levels but now it's changed a bit i think Aston want AAA, my other cousin who just went now for first year got in with AAB in Manchester.

Hope this helps.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheFootyKing19)
Hey...

p.s - for AS/A2
No, although I would recommend a numeric subject, maths or physics - the physics in optometry is all optics, and no knowledge is assumed, but having a mathematical background is something I cherish.

As for subjects, consult the optometry schools you're interested in for specifics, but in general, they ask for grades AAA to ABB with two sciences AA to AB, and a couple specify preference for which sciences they prefer.
ksachak
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No Physics is required before the course at all ! I'm not gonna lie to you and say its easy but it really isnt that bad. I didnt do maths or physics and im quite a dosser -still managed to get a first, so anyone can.
rale94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At the moment i am doing chemistry, biology, geology and environmental studies, would i be able to do optometry somewhere as i dont take maths or physics??
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rale94)
At the moment i am doing chemistry, biology, geology and environmental studies, would i be able to do optometry somewhere as i dont take maths or physics??
Check the individual universities, but I believe so - you have two sciences.
NehaLadhani
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i've applied for optom at cardiff, manchester, city and anglia ruskin as they dont specifically ask for physics. i dont do physics either but i do have a maths AS Level
Rosi M
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by raveen789)
well my older cousin who went to Aston about 5 years ago achieved AABB in his A levels but now it's changed a bit i think Aston want AAA, my other cousin who just went now for first year got in with AAB in Manchester.

Hope this helps.
Hey just read this, i really want to go manchester for optometry, they asking for AAB- AA in biology and chemistry.. :confused: :eek: i wanted to ask that your cousin whos at Manchester, do you know what he/she got the AAB in? Please say the 'B' was in a science!!!
Rosi M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rale94)
Yep course you can!! I've got all offers for optometry and i do biology, chemistry and psychology at A2. I have an AS in English too. So no maths or physics needed
Rosi M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheFootyKing19)
Hey...

p.s - for AS/A2
Physics is not essential for Optometry no. Most uni's (definitely Manchester who love Biology) want Biology then either Chemistry, Maths or Physics. So its not essential. You can have the other 2 if you want too. Your 3rd A level can be in anything so im doing Psychology. Im not good at Maths or Physics and didn't carry on with either after GCSE (im worried for uni now- modules on physics and maths lol)
Angharad H
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Check the individual uni requirements. Course content wise, it definately helps but isn't essential.
jajajajaaaaaaaa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i wanna be it
jajajajaaaaaaaa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what subjects do u need?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?