This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I am studying 2 A-levels in one year meaning 6 hrs of class per week between the hours of 6:30 and 9:30pm Monday and Thursday.

On top of this I do home study for the courses and coursework for one of them.

I am doing this with a view to going to Hull University to study Law with Politics.

In total I am probably spending over 10 hours per week as a student however I work during the day although not always on a 9-5 basis.

My council (East Riding of Yorkshire) says that I am NOT council tax exempt because they require you to be in full time education doing over 21hrs per week.

Despite this I have friends who go to University and do 8 hrs per week of lectures, the occasional seminar and a few hours outside of the University. They are concil tax exempt as "full time students" despite the fact they also work (tax free too!) during the week.

How is this right?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Full Time degree students should be spending at least 40 hours a week on their studies, I am full time and have about 14-16 hours a week in lectures, the rest is studying out of my own time. If students spend 20 hours a week on uni full time then really the only thing they will do is fail unless they are at a crappy uni or course.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Students are not tax free - the only reason most get out of the PAYE system is because they and their employer sign a declaration that they will earn below the £4615 zero tax bracket over an entire year. If they earn more than this and don't pay tax and NI then they are guilty of tax evasion.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Full Time degree students should be spending at least 40 hours a week on their studies, I am full time and have about 14-16 hours a week in lectures, the rest is studying out of my own time. If students spend 20 hours a week on uni full time then really the only thing they will do is fail unless they are at a crappy uni or course.
The problem is my council seems to class lecture / lesson time as "study time" it is not taking into account what I do at home.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Students are not tax free - the only reason most get out of the PAYE system is because they and their employer sign a declaration that they will earn below the £4615 zero tax bracket over an entire year. If they earn more than this and don't pay tax and NI then they are guilty of tax evasion.
Yeah and we all pay tax in VAT and stuff anyway. Plus when we graduate we will on average probably pay more tax than a none graduate.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
The problem is my council seems to class lecture / lesson time as "study time" it is not taking into account what I do at home.
In that cases its bloody stupid, the entire point of uni is the lectures just give the basic background info and you have to rest of the studying in your own time. I think Manchester class it as 16 hours but thats for F.E, it may be different for H.E.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
66.67%
Yes- I don't like it (0)
0%
No- I want it (1)
33.33%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads