Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    You have to think why you believe these things without any proof.
    It's called belief.

ReputationRep:
    I dont just think religion is misguided I think believing in anything that is physically unrealistic is wrong. You have to think why you believe these things without any proof.
    You didn't answer my question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    I don't follow any creed, I'm agnostic. I'm able to think enough for myself to acknoweldge that atheism is just as much of a leap of faith as theism or any other belief (unless you actually KNOW there is no God). Hence why I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think less of anyone with faith in anything (an incredibly personal thing).

I dont believe there is no god. I assume there isn't, which is a realistic assumption because in the entire history of human beings, virtually all of which actually want there to be a god, there has never been one tiny indication that there really is one. The only evidence there is concerning religion is the fact that almost everybody naturally believes there's a god.
    Now if you really consider this evidence surely you come to the conclusion that this statement is true: People believe in god.
    Now people also feel a desire to have sex. Men feel the need to have sex with women. We feel the need to eat... This all makes sense because it has made humans a viable species. In fact everything we believe without questioning is there because over millions of years it has helped our species survive.

This is all the evidence we have and it indicates that its much more likely that people believe in god for no other reason other than it being convenient for us to do so for our survival. God actually existing is impossible to disprove because thats almost the most fundamental aspect of it - that you cant prove it and more importantly disprove it. But if you consider what people expect of god then it is physically unrealistic. And when you talk about non-physical aspects then you are talking about something that doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shay)
    You didn't answer my question.

...because I went to have my dinner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taslima)
    ...you deprived child

That's what you think but then again I think you're a mug.

ReputationRep:
    ...because I went to have my dinner.
    I was referring to the response you gave me:

"I dont just think religion is misguided I think believing in anything that is physically unrealistic is wrong. You have to think why you believe these things without any proof."

In response to...

Michael Beaver, what is your definition of religion?

Your recent posts suggests that it is extremely narrow…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shay)
    I was referring to the response you gave me:

"I dont just think religion is misguided I think believing in anything that is physically unrealistic is wrong. You have to think why you believe these things without any proof."

In response to...

Michael Beaver, what is your definition of religion?

Your recent posts suggests that it is extremely narrow…

Yes I know. I came up with a reply which I decided was crap so I cut most of it out and disappeared for a bit.

I am talking about anything people blindly believe in. Things that cant be proved and are unlikely to exist with respect to currentl knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the whole is being mis understand for those people who feel that belief in God is unrealistic, well iam afraid to say they belief in any system upon that assumption is wrong. why do you believe in science unless you done all the experiments your self then all your doing is relying on some one else and theory are always proven worng. Religion is about the metaphysical relaties that cannot always be comprehended by the mind. As one cambridge professor said : "The truth is to big to fit into the mind but the mind is small enough to fit into the truth." If assome of you try to suggest that religion is flawed how do you attempt to interpret conversion. Our post-modern existence has created a great spiritual void that we try to fill with are elaborate theories about everything except the truth. Like every physicist will tell you there is a cause for everything so why do you try to deny the cause of your existence.

( there are probably many grammatical mistakes and many issues i havent dealt with as iam out of time so please forgive me for my shortcomings.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politics)
    I feel the whole is being mis understand for those people who feel that belief in God is unrealistic, well iam afraid to say they belief in any system upon that assumption is wrong. why do you believe in science unless you done all the experiments your self then all your doing is relying on some one else and theory are always proven worng. Religion is about the metaphysical relaties that cannot always be comprehended by the mind. As one cambridge professor said : "The truth is to big to fit into the mind but the mind is small enough to fit into the truth." If assome of you try to suggest that religion is flawed how do you attempt to interpret conversion. Our post-modern existence has created a great spiritual void that we try to fill with are elaborate theories about everything except the truth. Like every physicist will tell you there is a cause for everything so why do you try to deny the cause of your existence.

( there are probably many grammatical mistakes and many issues i havent dealt with as iam out of time so please forgive me for my shortcomings.)
    That reply shows your ignorance to science. You either dont study scientific subjects or you aren't very good at them.

One does not believe in science. This comparison, that you people continually bring up, between believing in God and science is badly flawed. Every scientific theory has been observed and verified in reality otherwise it would merely be a hypothesis. You can model most physical scientific theories mathematically yourself and prove to yourself that they are indeed true. God on the otherhand has never been observed and there is no mathematical theories I have heard that can quantify the existence of god.

You mention an Oxford professor who quotes various platitudes regarding existence. Although he may be very good at some sort of arts subject this does not mean he has any understanding of the physical world and has no knowledge to call upon when thinking about our existence. If he was a physicist then you will have misunderstood the man.

Please stop suggesting that using science which is a (usually) mathematical observation of the physical world is the same as blindly believing in something that nobody has ever witnessed - something that is unrealistic.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.