The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 27/01/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by jonathan3909
I'll just give you a taste of it:smile:

cheers :smile:

Everyone please read this:smile:

hi do you know where the mark scheme for this is?
if you have it could you upload it please
Reply 81
oh and also i read earlier you have other topic sample papers. could you post them on here please
thanks
Original post by kiss_my_asthma_99
Thnx a lot i really appreciate this.
Sorry to be annoying but is there any way you could upload a pdf file of the examiner's report instead of on scribd. Sorry again and thnx for your help.:smile:

You can directly download the examiner report from here:smile:[it's too big to be uploaded on TSR]
http://www.filedropper.com/6bi0501pef2010

Questions on plants , muscles and some genetics in the file-:smile:
You can directly download the examiner report from here:smile:[it's too big to be uploaded on TSR]

Thnx a lot these were extremely helpful.:smile:
Reply 84
Original post by dush_2
hey u doing a2 bio ??

Yes!!I'm doin unit 5 ..between u Guys know the duration for unit 5 has been increased to 1 hr 45 mins..they added 15 Mins extra from jan 2011..:smile::smile:...I love EdexceL:biggrin:
Reply 85

hey do u have more ?? then are very useful
(edited 13 years ago)
I'll be posting more stuff soon:smile:
Reply 87
I'll be posting more stuff soon:smile:

thnx a lot
Reply 88
Original post by rifoox

Original post by rifoox
Yes!!I'm doin unit 5 ..between u Guys know the duration for unit 5 has been increased to 1 hr 45 mins..they added 15 Mins extra from jan 2011..:smile::smile:...I love EdexceL:biggrin:

O MY gosh... really!

i'm soo glad! but doesn't that mean there will be just more questions to do? and how did you find this out? lol
Its written on their website and the marks will remain the same:smile:
Reply 90
I'll just give you a taste of it:smile:

Everyone please read this:smile:

oooops i wanted to give you a +ive rating but i pressed -ive by accident :colondollar:
Reply 91
Original post by rifoox

YAAAY i didnt finish it the 1st time, the timing was silly
Reply 92
so guys what u all predict this time ??
promoters and NFκBNF-\kappa B, nice :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by John Locke
promoters and NFκBNF-\kappa B, nice :p:

WHAT ?
Reply 95
Original post by dush_2
WHAT ?

It's just a promoter involved in cytokine production/inflammation.

Don't think you need to know that anyway.
Reply 96
The article is confusing when it gets to gene evolution. I feel like it is important to understand what gene duplication is and how it ties in with the specification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_duplication

Gene duplication (or chromosomal duplication or gene amplification) is any duplication of a region of DNA that contains a gene; it may occur as an error in homologous recombination, a retrotransposition event, or duplication of an entire chromosome. The second copy of the gene is often free from selective pressure that is, mutations of it have no deleterious effects to its host organism. Thus it accumulates mutations faster than a functional single-copy gene, over generations of organisms.

A duplication is the opposite of a deletion. Duplications arise from an event termed unequal crossing-over that occurs during meiosis between misaligned homologous chromosomes. The chance of this happening is a function of the degree of sharing of repetitive elements between two chromosomes. The product of this recombination are a duplication at the site of the exchange and a reciprocal deletion

So, gene duplication apparently happens as an error during meiosis. And, you get a 'spare' gene. One copy continues working normally and it free from selective pressure (does not have to evolve) and the other copy accumulates mutations faster than the functional copy and this is what evolves over time.

So a gene can give rise to more than one gene AND more than one protein.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Doughboy
The article is confusing when it gets to gene evolution. I feel like it is important to understand what gene duplication is and how it ties in with the specification:

So, gene duplication apparently happens as an error during meiosis. And, you get a 'spare' gene. One copy continues working normally and it free from selective pressure (does not have to evolve) and the other copy accumulates mutations faster than the functional copy and this is what evolves over time.

So a gene can give rise to more than one gene AND more than one protein.

okay correct me if i'm wrong, the old gene gets duplicated which gives a new non-functional gene, however this gene accumulates mutation over years and then when one of the functional gene stops working that gene becomes functional, and that's how a new gene is produced from another gene. (and obviously gene forms protein so the new gene will form new protein). But i don't understand how a gene can give rise to MORE THAN ONE gene??:confused:
Reply 98
Original post by kiss_my_asthma_99
okay correct me if i'm wrong, the old gene gets duplicated which gives a new non-functional gene, however this gene accumulates mutation over years and then when one of the functional gene stops working that gene becomes functional, and that's how a new gene is produced from another gene. (and obviously gene forms protein so the new gene will form new protein). But i don't understand how a gene can give rise to MORE THAN ONE gene??:confused:

No. ONE gene gets duplicated into TWO (or maybe more?) genes. Let's say it's two. The original gene had a function. When it is duplicated, BOTH copies are functional but only one is expressed. The other one (which is perfectly function and intact at first) just sits there and accumulates mutations and eventually becomes a new gene. So now we have two genes that are different. So we started with one gene, it was duplicated, one of the two copies evolved and now we have two genes. And from this, it is obvious that one gene gives rise to more than one protein.

But you don't have to associate the "one gene, more than one protein" concept to this article alone. Remember post-transcriptional modifications of mRNA? After transcription of a gene into premature or nascent mRNA, introns are removed and exons are spliced together (sometimes in different combinations) and this rearranges codons (hence amino acids) and you get several proteins from a single gene.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Doughboy
No. ONE gene gets duplicated into TWO (or maybe more?) genes. Let's say it's two. The original gene had a function. When it is duplicated, BOTH copies are functional but only one is expressed. The other one (which is perfectly function and intact at first) just sits there and accumulates mutations and eventually becomes a new gene. So now we have two genes that are different. So we started with one gene, it was duplicated, one of the two copies evolved and now we have two genes. And from this, it is obvious that one gene gives rise to more than one protein.

But you don't have to associate the "one gene, more than one protein" concept to this article alone. Remember post-transcriptional modifications of mRNA? After transcription of a gene into premature or nascent mRNA, introns are removed and exons are spliced together (sometimes in different combinations) and this rearranges codons (hence amino acids) and you get several proteins from a single gene.

okay i think i understand, but evolution can take place in post-transcriptional modification when some introns turn into exons, right?? but then how do they get reincorprated back into the DNA??
also another question, evolution can take place in 2 forms, the one you explained and in the post-transcriptional modification but i do not understand what exactly happens in the genes which are formed from scratch. can u please explain that.
I'm sorry but i really appreciate your help, and thax in advance:smile:

EDIT: okay i think i know the answer to my first question, is it because post-transcriptional modification and the introns turning into exons 2 diffrent methods by which evolution can take place, as in the introns turning into exons happens in the DNA itself without getting transcribed to mRNA. I think this can happen by duplication of the introns region which then gets duplicated several times turning it into an exon that codes for antifreeze protein. Am i right here?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending