Can someone define the term "theoretical approach"? Watch

sekiei33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey guys. Thought I'd grace you all with my first post on what is probably an obvious question.

Just writing a quick 500 word review on an article for a History module I'm taking, yet I'm still struggling to come up with a concrete definition for what a "theoretical approach" is.

the top criteria says "what theoretical approach has this scholar taken, and why?"

I assume it is something to do with how the article is written...though that still doesn't clear what it is asking me to do in my mind.

In any case, nice to be part of a forum community again, hope I have a reason to stick around .
username202682
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sekiei33)
Hey guys. Thought I'd grace you all with my first post on what is probably an obvious question.

Just writing a quick 500 word review on an article for a History module I'm taking, yet I'm still struggling to come up with a concrete definition for what a "theoretical approach" is.
A theoretical approach is a formulated hypothesis or, loosely speaking, any hypothesis or opinion not based upon actual knowledge
"what theoretical approach has this scholar taken, and why?" .
Examples of approaches include Marxist, traditionalist, modernist...
johnyk15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi mate! Don't mean to sound dismissive (but can't really find a way round the Elephant in the drawing rooom!).

What i mean to say is if you don't really even know what a "Theoretical approach" means....then WTF are you doing on a degree course?

A concretete definition is readily available through GOOGling "Theoretical approach"

And if you can't understand the answer then just quit! lol
art13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by johnyk15)
Hi mate! Don't mean to sound dismissive (but can't really find a way round the Elephant in the drawing rooom!).

What i mean to say is if you don't really even know what a "Theoretical approach" means....then WTF are you doing on a degree course?

A concretete definition is readily available through GOOGling "Theoretical approach"

And if you can't understand the answer then just quit! lol

Why are you so mean johnyk15? I hope that you will NOT have this attitude with your clients. May be YOU should made a career change. WOW!!!!
Karma21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Welp I'm a freshman this is my first year in college !!! My major is paramedic and I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to psychology, so I appreciate the feedback @Stricof. Also @johnyk15 your a total jerk you should be ashamed of yourself, you should encourage people to ask questions when they don't understand something. Instead you try to break them down and discourage them you should really work on your personality because it sucks. ✌️

Sincerely KARMA!!
Vetta1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What theoretical approaches might assist you in being culturally responsive as a social worker dealing with Native American
Camilli
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As one example, Marxism (of which there are many flavors). Does the historian, left wing or not, look to catalogue historical characters as members of a particular class, and base that class on occupation? Does he/she tend to assume that broad historical trends based on rearrangements of class and evolutions thereof outweigh individual choices?

Other historians may be anxious to use insights from anthopology, linguistics, etc.

There are problems with all of this, as-- to a man with a hammer-- everything can look like a nail. But people do need to organize evidence that they look at somehow, and figure out what questions to ask of it. Part of your job as a reader is to decide if the theory behind the analysis is helpful.
Dr John Smith 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It has to do mainly on which theoretical background you are approaching a topic or an issue. Let us bring as an example the topic of the women's position in the society. You can approach (in other words, explain) the women's position in the society from a different theoretical point of views. Example; the Historical point of view, Psychoanalytic or Psychological point of view, Philosophical point of view, Literary point of view, the Feminist point of view, the Sexological point of view, the Sociological point of view and so on. All these points of views (Theories) are called theoretical approaches.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%