The Student Room Group

Overactive imagination stopping me from sleeping.

Ever since i can remember i have been unable to be in the dark without the tv or a radio on or something to distract me from my thoughts. Recently its been getting worse. Every time im in the dark with nothing to distract me my mind creates these horrific monsters lurking and ready to hurt me. I know these things are completely stupid and not real but it doesn't stop me from panicking and believing them to be true. Last night i couldn't sleep because i was convinced there were zombies in the living room and a ghost in the bedroom.

I don't want to be 23 and still afraid of the dark! Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you need some form of professional help.
Reply 2
lmao i cant get to sleep either but thats because of insomnia not because im scared of monsters.

maybe you should get a night light?
Reply 3
Yeah you might be joking but i am considering this. It doesn't affect me in the day or when i have a light on or the tv or something. Its when i stay at my bfs house and there is nothing in his room to distract me that it becomes a problem.
Reply 4
I do this but only after watching a horror lol. My mind tortures itself and makes me think Jigsaw or flipping Jason is in my room..... I know how it feels and it's hell. You should speak to someone about your case though as it doesn't sound healthy. good luck!
Reply 5
****, i'm actually mental aren't i?
Reply 6
Watch loads of comedy films and TV shows. It'll distract you with funny thoughts and put your mind at ease.
Original post by Trigger
I know these things are completely stupid and not real

Know is a strong word.

:colone:
Reply 8
Alcohol.
Original post by Trigger
Ever since i can remember i have been unable to be in the dark without the tv or a radio on or something to distract me from my thoughts. Recently its been getting worse. Every time im in the dark with nothing to distract me my mind creates these horrific monsters lurking and ready to hurt me. I know these things are completely stupid and not real but it doesn't stop me from panicking and believing them to be true. Last night i couldn't sleep because i was convinced there were zombies in the living room and a ghost in the bedroom.

I don't want to be 23 and still afraid of the dark! Help!

I am older than you and exactly the same. I spoke to someone about this and it was advised that people with such an over active imagination tend to be very sensitive and prone to hyperstimulation. I was advised to have various pleasant fantasies to focus on when I get distressed in this way and it does really help. Just think of something you like!
Reply 10
Original post by W.H.T
Watch loads of comedy films and TV shows. It'll distract you with funny thoughts and put your mind at ease.

That could work i guess...
Zombies are clumsy and stupid, if there was one in your room, you could easily outwit it.
As for ghosts, well...they're just spirits, they can't do anything to you expect float around occasionally shouting "BOO".

I don't know what to suggest really. If it's something that is really causing you problems, maybe you should go and speak to someone about it. Or sleep with a lamp on or something until you find it easy to go to sleep, then try turning it off or making it dimmer.
Reply 12
my mind is just as bad it just keeps thinking about everything and takes a while to stop when trying to sleep
Reply 13
Original post by AmeliePoulain
I am older than you and exactly the same. I spoke to someone about this and it was advised that people with such an over active imagination tend to be very sensitive and prone to hyperstimulation. I was advised to have various pleasant fantasies to focus on when I get distressed in this way and it does really help. Just think of something you like!

Thank you for this, it is very helpful.
Reply 14
Original post by Anglerfish
Hahahahahaha. Only people who can handle a degree can survive the trials presented by their imaginations.

What in the world are you talking about?
Don't watch TV or use the internet within an hour of your bedtime, it stimulates your brain.

I know what you mean though... when I get home from work (I'm behind a till in Sainsbury's), I spend a good hour or so, laying there in the dark, in silence, trying to sleep... and all I can hear is BEEP BLOOP BORP BOOOP and just watching people's shopping flying before my eyes at high speeds.
Original post by Trigger

Original post by Trigger
Yeah you might be joking but i am considering this. It doesn't affect me in the day or when i have a light on or the tv or something. Its when i stay at my bfs house and there is nothing in his room to distract me that it becomes a problem.

can't you get your bf to distract you? play Connect4 or something?
I agree with the above and recommend you to see someone if it bothers you enough. Even if they don't stop because of talking to someone, it'd probably help you understand what's happening which is usually a massive comfort.
Reply 18
Original post by + polarity -
can't you get your bf to distract you? play Connect4 or something?

Well yes :awesome: but if he falls asleep before me i get all panicky!
Reply 19
Original post by Anglerfish
she cannot reach the counters... too many fatblankets... :frown:

:lolwut: grow up.

Latest