Nottingham vs Warwick for Law Watch

This discussion is closed.
KrazyAngel1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I know there are a lot of threads like this but I just thought I'd ask. Basically the offers I've recieved so far for law (in order of preference) are:
Nottingham AAB
Warwick AAAD or AAA and c at AS
Birmingham AAB
East Anglia ABB
Oxford Brookes BBB

My problem is that I really want to go to Nottingham but Warwick is higher than it in the league table. I wouldn't mind going to Warwick but I'm put off by the grades and its location. Does the fact that Nottingham is 10 in the Times league table whilst Warwick is 8 matter?
zom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by KrazyAngel1)
I know there are a lot of threads like this but I just thought I'd ask. Basically the offers I've recieved so far for law (in order of preference) are:
Nottingham AAB
Birmingham AAB
East Anglia ABB
Oxford Brookes BBB

My problem is that I really want to go to Nottingham but Warwick is higher than it in the league table. I wouldn't mind going to Warwick but I'm put off by the grades and its location. Does the fact that Nottingham is 10 in the Times league table whilst Warwick is 8 matter?
Definitely go for notts! Dont go by the league tables- Nottingham has a far better reputation for law than Warwick from what ive heard. I recommend you have a look at how top law firms rate different faculties
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Nottingham AAB
Birmingham AAB
East Anglia ABB
Oxford Brookes BBB

If you like Nottingham better? Go there, enjoying where you actually go potentially means that you'll have the want to perform better. They're very similar reputation wise, Warwick may be a little more prestigious as a whole but I assure you it's not worth missing out on a place you'll enjoy more. 3/4 years is a long time, remember that.
zom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by onearmedscissor)
If you like Nottingham better? Go there, enjoying where you actually go potentially means that you'll have the want to perform better. They're very similar reputation wise, Warwick may be a little more prestigious as a whole but I assure you it's not worth missing out on a place you'll enjoy more. 3/4 years is a long time, remember that.
Id say nottingham is actually more prestigious and its a much nicer city!
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zom)
Id say nottingham is actually more prestigious and its a much nicer city!
I said on the whole, Nottingham may be for Law specifically... but employers love Warwick.
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does the fact that Nottingham is 10 in the Times league table whilst Warwick is 8 matter?
Not when they're that close. According to the Guardian tables, Nottingham was joint with Bristol, both being only one place behind Warwick for law last year.

By the time you finish your course, Nottingham may be ranked higher than Warwick for law. When I applied to psychology, Cambridge was top in the country but I couldn't apply there because I only did one science at A-level. Now Nottingham is top.
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Nottingham AAB
Birmingham AAB
East Anglia ABB
Oxford Brookes BBB

nottingham has a much better reputation for law, i never really heard of law at warwick, someone on here a while ago posted stats of where top law firms prefer and notts was 4th or 5th i think
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rah)
nottingham has a much better reputation for law, i never really heard of law at warwick, someone on here a while ago posted stats of where top law firms prefer and notts was 4th or 5th i think
I am waiting for warwick to reply me for law as well. I've got notts already and I'll probably go there.. or maybe durham. I don't know!
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
I am waiting for warwick to reply me for law as well. I've got notts already and I'll probably go there.. or maybe durham. I don't know!
I thought you'd already decided to go to notts??

G
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
I thought you'd already decided to go to notts??

G
Yeh.. it's a mental decision. But it does depend on what other offers those two places give me. Like BBB would be difficult to reject no? Hehe... Plus, I do want to see their accomodation forms.. ARGH!
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Yeh.. it's a mental decision. But it does depend on what other offers those two places give me. Like BBB would be difficult to reject no? Hehe... Plus, I do want to see their accomodation forms.. ARGH!
Yeh.....but you'll definitely get the grades at A2...i'm sure.....you got 6As at AS level....why wouldn't you do well at A2??

Where else do you have to hear from??

G
rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by zom)
Definitely go for notts! Dont go by the league tables- Nottingham has a far better reputation for law than Warwick from what ive heard. I recommend you have a look at how top law firms rate different faculties
its been posted before but this a list of preferred universities for solicitors, whilst it doesnt mean much it does give a vague idea of which universities are popular

'Bristol 28 (32)
Oxford 27 (30)
Cambridge 25 (30)
Durham 25 (23)
Nottingham 24 (25)
Exeter 19 (22)
Kings College, London 19 (9)
UCL 19 (10)
Manchester 18 (14)
Sheffield 18 (9)
Warwick 18 (15)
Birmingham 17 (21)
Leeds 16 (8)
LSE 14 (5)
Southampton 14 (13)
Leicester 12 (2)
Newcastle 9 (5)
Cardiff 7 (3)
Edinburgh 6 (5)
Liverpool 6 (3)
London (any college) 6 (10)'

from chambersandpartners.com
markh86
Report 14 years ago
for LAW

I've been accepted at Warwick with AABc
I have to go to do a written test thingy at Nottingham in Feb

haven't heard anything from Durham.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by markh86)
for LAW

I've been accepted at Warwick with AABc
I have to go to do a written test thingy at Nottingham in Feb

haven't heard anything from Durham.
Congratulations on your warwick offer! It is a very nice one and good luck with your Notts test! All the best
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (379)
79.79%
Leave (96)
20.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise