Spearmans Rank Correlation Coefficient in Coursework Watch

This discussion is closed.
ChrisR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I was told that using this method in my "Guesstimate" courseowrk would be useful. However I've forgotten what it would help me prove...HELP!!! I have the whole procedure done using values relating to how far off peoples results were from the actual size of what they were estimating I just need to know what each of the values will tell me exactly.
Me2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
correlation
ChrisR
Rep:
?
What I mean is what could I use it as evidence to prove. If I have my various correlations what can I say they prove?
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The value r or the correlation co-efficient will give you a value for how strongly the ranks of the two data sets x and y, you are looking at, correlate with each other.

Anything above 0.75 can be said to be strong positive, (age of car, loss in value) when 1 is perfect positive.

<= -0.75 strong negative (age of car vs Value)

-1 Perfect Positive.

Otherwise weak pos/neg coming closer to zero, until about +ve and -ve .25 when there is little to no correlation.

This is best illustrated using a scatter graph first, describing what it looks like, THEN using Spearman to put a quantity to your observations.
ChrisR
Rep:
?
I used standard deviation in an earlier part of my coursework. How easy is it to compare SD and SRCC?
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ChrisR)
I used standard deviation in an earlier part of my coursework. How easy is it to compare SD and SRCC?
The two aren't related in themselves, though you could talk a little about the fact that a wide standard deviation will show more spread from the mean values on a scatter graph.

Don't go down this road without knowing what you are talking about though.
Pi^3
Report 16 years ago
The spearman value is used when a graph is not roughly linear or elliptical (as opposed to PMCC when it is roughly linear or elliptical.) It can be used to show if there is or isn't correlation between two sets of values, eg: age of a car and price. You need to rank the data in order and the calcualte you rs value.

eg: Age Price Rank x Rank y d*2
2 5000 1 2 1
5 4050 3 1 4
3 6000 2 3 1

D*2 is the difference between rank x and rank y squared.

Rs= 1- 6 x sumd*2
n(n*2-1)

Calculate the Rs value ,as in here, 1-6x6
3x(3*2-1) = 0.5

Use table to find critical value. (n=3 and significance level eg: 5%)

State Ho and H1 and show that the test stat (here 0.5) is either greater than the c.v. or less than. This will show that you should accept H0 or H1, which ever is this case and then you can talk about this shows hows there is rank correltion or isn't what ever you stated in your hypothesis'.

Hope this helps, I know how to do it, it just isn't easier to explain over thenet, (without a diagram etc.)
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Quick tip- don't put spearmans... in your coursework unless you have to. Examiners will mark you down for using techniques you don't have to.
ChrisR
Rep:
?
Has anyone got a copy of a significance table or do you have to calculate this yourself?
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have it somewhere in my GCSE statistics textbook but I only read it yesterday...

EDIT: I mean how to calculate the thingy not a table
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ChrisR)
Has anyone got a copy of a significance table or do you have to calculate this yourself?
I found an online copy of the significance tables. You'll need Acrobat to read it though.

Hope that's of some help!
sonicmat
Report 15 years ago
hi ive started my coursework.
Im doing the colour test.
i am doing y7 girls word y7 girls colour
y10 boy and girl word and colour and so on
Im not sure which ones to do the spearmans rank on.
Help please
sonicmat
Report 15 years ago
please help. its gotta be in on monday
CHL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what does it mean by a two tailed test in that pdf document ?

Would river width by depth in spearmans rank be a 2 or 1 tailed test ???
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise