This discussion is closed.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I was just wondering what they are like and if you have huge amounts of pressure on you to get 10 or 11 A*'s. Does anyone go to Harrow School?
boygenious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
I was just wondering what they are like and if you have huge amounts of pressure on you to get 10 or 11 A*'s. Does anyone go to Harrow School?
harrow as in north london?
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
it depends how high up the independent school is on the league tables... generally most people there would be getting straight A/A*s, although lots would have straight A*s as well.

they're not exactly hard to achieve any more.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
A great experience. And no my school never put huge amounts of pressure on us to do brilliantly.
me!
Rep:
?
(Original post by boygenious)
harrow as in north london?
yep
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
Academically, there was no more pressure at mine than there would have been at any comprehensive, I don't think. It was non-selective, so they couldn't be expected to get everyone getting 10 A*s. Some places are more pushy than others - grammars tend to sin in that aspect just as much as independents.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
no and no
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
they don't drive you to get those grades as such. Most people at these schools achieve what they are capable of achieving... so if you're brain is A* quality, you will get the grades that you deserve.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
I was just wondering what they are like and if you have huge amounts of pressure on you to get 10 or 11 A*'s.
I go to an independent school which gets excellent academic results, a lot of people do get 10A*. I'm not sure what you mean by pressure though, are you talking about teachers making pupils work hard or do you mean an attitude like "you've got to get 10A*s or you're a failure"?

Here's another thread on a very similar theme:
http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=14371&
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Some places are more pushy than others - grammars tend to sin in that aspect just as much as independents.
100% agreed. Especially state grammars where grades = money.
me!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexander)
I go to an independent school which gets excellent academic results, a lot of people do get 10A*. I'm not sure what you mean by pressure though, do you mean them making you work hard or do you mean an attitude like "you've got to get 10A*s or you're a failure"?

Here's another thread on a very similar theme:
http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=14371&
It's just cos I was on the Harrow school website a mniute ago and it said something along the lines that if you take french and maths a year early and don't get an A* you MUST take them again... it just made me wonder...

That thread was pretty interesting, I agree with lots of the stuff said on it, but not all...
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to an independent public school - i had to perform well in my exams because i was there on a scholarship and an assisted place = a bit of pressure was the result but nothing i couldnt handle because i think of myself as an academic kind of guy
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
It's just cos I was on the Harrow school website a mniute ago and it said something along the lines that if you take french and maths a year early and don't get an A* you MUST take them again... it just made me wonder...
I'm sure it didnt have 'MUST' in capital letters. That would be expected aa anybody taking a GCSE a year early would be expected to get an A* anyway at whatever school you were at.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When there are all these people who go to independent schools and they get a full set of A* it kind of ups the standard for everyone.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
When there are all these people who go to independent schools and they get a full set of A* it kind of ups the standard for everyone.
anything wrong with them achieving to their full potential
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
anything wrong with them achieving to their full potential
No not at all. However if some of them had one of the worst types of education they may still be able to get their full set of A*s where as the majority probably wouldn't.

I'm not sure whether there should be allowances for people who go to crappy schools.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No not at all. However if some of them had one of the worst types of education they may still be able to get their full set of A*s where as the majority probably wouldn't.

I'm not sure whether there should be allowances for people who go to crappy schools.
i dont think so, just like i disagree with extra time and laptops. 1 in 3 people in my history set (thats 5) have got a laptop and i know how most of them fiddled it and i reckon i could get one.
me!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I'm sure it didnt have 'MUST' in capital letters. That would be expected aa anybody taking a GCSE a year early would be expected to get an A* anyway at whatever school you were at.
If you go to this link

http://www.harrowschool.org.uk/about...c/academic.htm

and scroll down, it has must in capital letters...
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
If you go to this link

http://www.harrowschool.org.uk/about...c/academic.htm

and scroll down, it has must in capital letters...
I wasn't aware that Harrow was a school just for boys. I've looked everywhere for pictures :rolleyes:
me!
Rep:
?
I wasn't aware that Harrow was a school just for boys. I've looked everywhere for pictures :rolleyes:
I didn't even know Harrow existed until today :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
30.43%
No (14)
60.87%
Don't know (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads