Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Yes, do you?
    yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    whats the secret? i haven't heard the secret and i go to a city of london school!
    emzie you a girl or boy?
    and also what year?

ReputationRep:
    girl, U6 i go to CLFS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I was just wondering what they are like and if you have huge amounts of pressure on you to get 10 or 11 A*'s. Does anyone go to Harrow School?
    Harrow isn't that great a school, it's just well known and extremely expensive. My school is selective and is hugely pressurised - a lot of my friends got 10 A*s, I got 7 A* and 3A and the teachers were like, whatever. Maybe that's cos it's the 3rd best independent school in the country and they have a reputation to uphold, i don't know. Now i'm nearing the end of my last year there, it just hacks me off, though i guess i wouldn't have achieved the same grades had i gone to another school, partly because of the teaching and partly because I wouldn't have been pushed to do the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    but i then i think i might stay at my current school...even though it got burnt down recently and we have to have classes in massive halls!
    Tiffin Girls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    www.winchestercollege.org
    (my school)

www.etoncollege.com (our arch enemy :P)
    Oh the fun my economics teacher has when he is ripping it out of your school, certainly brightens up my day.

ReputationRep:
    My school is fairly pushy but you obviously have to want to do the work yourself, in terms of rich people showing off i guess it is what the parents are like, Damien Hirst's children go to my school and alth is like like multi millionaire is just like any other parent should be- really down to earth - altho his son ironically did get the 'art' prize!
    My bf's dad is film director and works with Judi Dench etc, however is really nice rational guy and doesn't bother wastin his money on flashy sportcars - donates a lot of it to charity.
    His sons are just as normal as everyone else and not big headed - this is gd as if people were like that they wouldn't be liked -so no point!

Alicia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Oh the fun my economics teacher has when he is ripping it out of your school, certainly brightens up my day.
    lol ... i imagine it is quite different to your school.

tell me what he says

ReputationRep:
    alcia wot schl do u go 2?

ReputationRep:
    hello emzie,
    is independent in Devon called West Buckland. It is good but the lunches are ****!
    A
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Harrow isn't that great a school, it's just well known and extremely expensive. My school is selective and is hugely pressurised - a lot of my friends got 10 A*s, I got 7 A* and 3A and the teachers were like, whatever. Maybe that's cos it's the 3rd best independent school in the country and they have a reputation to uphold, i don't know. Now i'm nearing the end of my last year there, it just hacks me off, though i guess i wouldn't have achieved the same grades had i gone to another school, partly because of the teaching and partly because I wouldn't have been pushed to do the work.
    Which school do you go to, Serendipity? NLCS by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Which school do you go to, Serendipity? NLCS by any chance?
    No. But i guess my description might sound familiar to a lot of people!

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if people from some schools feel a sense of superiority over others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    a sense of superiority about themselves, or about their schools?

ReputationRep:
    i go to withington, 94 % of grades were A or A*. i got 3 A* 6A and a B, so am below average, but a dnt count it as bad, just cos my school is number 1 in the country accordin to the latest report in the times, though our head teacher has given an interview stating that the 'GCSE 's do not challenge their girls, so should be made harder, making the transition from the GCSE work to the GCE work easier for us to manage and cope with'.

i dont think the people who go to my school think of themselves as better than other, ok they all live in mansions, hav nice clothes and ma friend has a ferrari, but big deal, they are all just normal people.

there is a lot of pressure to get good gades, but no one punishes you if you dont although it may cause us to slip down the league tables, they just want us to do the best we are capable of, and the pressure is bearable.

sometimes you wish you could go out every night until the 'small hours', but then think wahts more important, the opportunity to get pissed every night or the opportunity to go to university allowing you to get a better job so you can afford to get pissed?!

overall it boils down to who you associate with, what your background is like, how youve been brought up, what your morals are and whats more important to you, to live for the moment or live for the future?

steph
    xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    My old school definalty has a sense of superiority over other schools at sport.

ReputationRep:
    I go to private school and I cant say anything about private schools in general but mine certainly is extremely pressurised. I really dont like the atmosphere in my school because the pressure that the school puts on people to get A*s makes people become really competitive not only in getting the grades but in all situations. You find that everybody wants to get one up on you in everything you do and any success you have is immediately put down by somebody else's bitterness.

Whoever said that they were trying for St Pauls, depending on what kind of atmosphere you are expecting, I would consider whether you go or not very closely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    Whoever said that they were trying for St Pauls, depending on what kind of atmosphere you are expecting, I would consider whether you go or not very closely.
    What's more, the London schools tend to have dire facilities. Whilst still costing upwards of £20,000, their facilities are usually atrocious compared with similarly priced out-of-london private/public schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    What's more, the London schools tend to have dire facilities. Whilst still costing upwards of £20,000, their facilities are usually atrocious compared with similarly priced out-of-london private/public schools.
    Agreed my old school has amazing facilities and a massive estate which even includes a golf course and rare breeds santuary lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissnaughty)
    i go to withington, 94 % of grades were A or A*. i got 3 A* 6A and a B, so am below average, but a dnt count it as bad, just cos my school is number 1 in the country accordin to the latest report in the times, though our head teacher has given an interview stating that the 'GCSE 's do not challenge their girls, so should be made harder, making the transition from the GCSE work to the GCE work easier for us to manage and cope with'.

i dont think the people who go to my school think of themselves as better than other, ok they all live in mansions, hav nice clothes and ma friend has a ferrari, but big deal, they are all just normal people.

there is a lot of pressure to get good gades, but no one punishes you if you dont although it may cause us to slip down the league tables, they just want us to do the best we are capable of, and the pressure is bearable.

sometimes you wish you could go out every night until the 'small hours', but then think wahts more important, the opportunity to get pissed every night or the opportunity to go to university allowing you to get a better job so you can afford to get pissed?!

overall it boils down to who you associate with, what your background is like, how youve been brought up, what your morals are and whats more important to you, to live for the moment or live for the future?

steph
    xxxxx

um, that sounds like pressure, i go to a mixed private school and they tried to pressure me, but i would not let them. What you want to do whenever, has to come first.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.