This discussion is closed.
amexblack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Agreed my old school has amazing facilities and a massive estate which even includes a golf course and rare breeds santuary lol.
what kinda rare breeds? that sounds pretty exotic
We have a wildlife conservation area (also an area of outstanding natural beauty), but we rarely make use of it. occasionally when a bio teacher gets bored of the classroom we'll be given a tour.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)
what kinda rare breeds? that sounds pretty exotic
We have a wildlife conservation area (also an area of outstanding natural beauty), but we rarely make use of it. occasionally when a bio teacher gets bored of the classroom we'll be given a tour.
Lol god knows. Its for the prep school kids mainly. I never really took much attention. Bet you dont have a full size observatory? lol. Every school needs one of them!
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol god knows. Its for the prep school kids mainly. I never really took much attention. Bet you dont have a full size observatory? lol. Every school needs one of them!
actually, we do (god knows what "full size" is though). and here's the golf course, http://www.hockleygolfclub.com/

but i digress, as i said, london schools generally don't have such facilities, and also tend to be more exam orientated.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)
actually, we do (god knows what "full size" is though). and here's the golf course, http://www.hockleygolfclub.com/

but i digress, as i said, london schools generally don't have such facilities, and also tend to be more exam orientated.
Lol when it was built the Stonyhurst Observatory was one of the bisggest in the country but yeah I also digress. It rather sounds like a show off thread. Is the golf club actually own by your school (Winchester I presmume). The golf club at Stonyhurst is just for the pupils.

I agree. Schools from cities are no good for facilities.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol when it was built the Stonyhurst Observatory was one of the bisggest in the country but yeah I also digress. It rather sounds like a show off thread. Is the golf club actually own by your school (Winchester I presmume). The golf club at Stonyhurst is just for the pupils.

hey we aint bad, i mean we have our astorturf, our tennis courts, swimming pool, two sets of fives courts, four football pitches across a road and two/three on the school side (and it is only a residential road)
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

well, the land is all owned by the college but run by a third party. all students have free membership though.
Electric Magic
Report 16 years ago
Well this thread certainly caught my eye as I know Harrow pretty well...

First up, I'll just confirm that I am living proof that Harrow isn't very exam-mad... (although I'm sure I'll be bragging about my superb results come August ).

The whole idea of taking Maths or French early is because you're in one of the top two sets in the year group, you can get it out of the way so that during your GCSE year you can work towards taking P1 or Italian GCSE. If you don't get an A* first time, with the benefit of an extra year you're basically guaranteed to do it on the retake with the experience of learning more advanced work or another language. I retook maths and I barely needed to revise. When it's that easy, I think it's worth it.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Electric Magic)
Well this thread certainly caught my eye as I know Harrow pretty well...

First up, I'll just confirm that I am living proof that Harrow isn't very exam-mad... (although I'm sure I'll be bragging about my superb results come August ).

The whole idea of taking Maths or French early is because you're in one of the top two sets in the year group, you can get it out of the way so that during your GCSE year you can work towards taking P1 or Italian GCSE. If you don't get an A* first time, with the benefit of an extra year you're basically guaranteed to do it on the retake with the experience of learning more advanced work or another language. I retook maths and I barely needed to revise. When it's that easy, I think it's worth it.
But don't some kids get a bit you know all stressed and stuff?Though I guess that some kids will in every school... Are you in Yr 11?
Electric Magic
Report 16 years ago
I'm in my final year of A2s, so I didn't go to that poetry thing earlier this week. (I do know a few people who did go though, I think it was the entire lower 5th year).

I found there was very little pressure to achieve with GCSEs, the school is quite content if you get A/A* grades (they don't seem to make much distinction between the two). However, since the A levels pretty much deciding where you go the school does get very concerned with your progress.

With stress, I don't seem to know enough people who get stressed, I guess Harrovians are pretty good at hiding stress. I get stressed but that's mainly my own fault.

I think Harrow is a pretty good school, but I don't know if I'd be able to send my children there in thirty years time or so... my personal opinion is that results aren't everything (maybe the 6A-grade Oxbridge rejects know what I mean) and I don't really bother with league tables - if you're really clever enough to get the grades you need, you'll find a way to get them regardless of how rubbish your teachers are (mentioning no names!). You make your own luck.

At Harrow they tend to expect you to do a wide range of activities, so you don't get a school that exists for the sake of league tables, but you also don't get a rugby school like, say, Wellington in its present state (sorry to anyone who goes to Wellington here). I might sound like I'm describing a school that isn't really good at anything, and maybe that's true to a small extent but what I mean is that they're pretty flexible and willing to let you pursue what you want to do.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
Tiffin Girls?
yeah...how do you know!?
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
yeah...how do you know!?
I live in Twickenham.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
I live in Twickenham.

It was on BBC news online too, a while back.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads