The Student Room Group

Places to work for a 16, soon to be 17 year old?

I've been looking for a job for about 3/4 months now, I've had a couple of interviews but nothing came of them and I'm really sick of having no money :frown: I've handed my CV and covering letter to so many shops around town so many times! I check loads of websites (e.g. Sainsbury's, Morrisons, HMV, even McDonalds) But nothing is avaliable... Ever. Can I have some tips and some places maybe you or your friends work? Thanks would help a lot.
Reply 1
I work in a restaurant, it's quite a quiet one but we get busy at times. It's a nice place to work too, all the people that come in are friendly!
Look for that sort of work?
Reply 2
i work at sainsburys, i know u said you tried there but they refresh new vacancies ALL the time... some roles you have to be 18, but most not, checkout is 16.. so keep trying them, they are good...n try more than one branch cos i had to try at 3 diff branches before i found the vacancy that suited me.
Reply 3
You could be a freelance urban pharmaceutical distributor.
Reply 4
Keep asking in your local morrisons for an application form. they pay well, and are pretty good with working around you.

ive worked there 2 and half years part time, and im now 19
try retail shops. they have a high turnover like supermarkets. new look, evans, peacocks and dorothy perkins are good ones. river island, topshop, miss selfridges are a bit harder to get but have a search through their vacancies. also depends where abouts geographically you are. obviously there are more opporitunities in london and the south generally :frown: good luck anyway.
Reply 6
Thanks all, really appreciate all your tips.

And yeah pearls_and_lace I live in the North East (unfortunately) it's like the worst place for unemployment.
You could try agency work. Generally you just sign up and are accepted. I've found doing events work is pretty good and there's a lot of variety. It's also great for flexibility because you can choose which shifts you want and which you don't
Reply 8
greggs
sainsburys
next
hmv (I think)
asda
tesco
waitrose
m and s
small coffee shops
the works
clinton cards
card factory
cineworld
Reply 9
Try sending CV's and covering letters by post addressed to manager, I did that and that's when I got my job. They get so many CV's they often get lost, etc. But, if its seperate the manager will have to open and it and look at you CV :smile: good luck!
Reply 10
Good luck! But with un-employment so high it's going to take a lot of persisting. Anywhere is good to work though as long as you're willing to work :smile:
Reply 11
Boots, Superdrugs, Argos?
Just go into every shop you can find with a CV. Law of averages you'll find a job eventually.
Original post by tosh999
greggs
sainsburys
next
hmv (I think)
asda
tesco
waitrose
m and s
small coffee shops
the works
clinton cards
card factory
cineworld

Cineworld and other cinemas will not employ U18s, neither will HMV.
Supermarkets (Sainsbury's, ASDA, Tesco, Waitrose, M&S and Morrisons) are the most likely to employ U18s followed by clothes retail (Next, Dorothy Perkins, West One, TopShop/TopMan, Primark, River Island)
Clinton Cards & Card Factory will take on Xmas temps (probably too late to apply now)
Original post by gemnomnom
Cineworld and other cinemas will not employ U18s, neither will HMV.

Thats a lie, my 16 year old friend has a part time job with HMV
Original post by wizzingwizzer
Thats a lie, my 16 year old friend has a part time job with HMV

Okay. I was taking my information from a Connexions booklet, last updated August 2010. Obviously my information was out of date.

Edit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=296847
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by gemnomnom
Okay. I was taking my information from a Connexions booklet, last updated August 2010. Obviously my information was out of date.

Edit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=296847

So is the thread you're posting :rolleyes:
I would have said matalan warehouse as its good pay and almost anyone is guaranteed a job there. then i remembered that the minimum age is 18 and your just below that age so no luck there. maybe home and bargain or some other retailer. bargain booze and you can get pissed all day on the job and have a cigareete as well
Original post by Planar
You could be a freelance urban pharmaceutical distributor.
already tried tht not as good as it sounds:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending