Would you consider laser eye surgery? Watch

This discussion is closed.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
OK this is a bit similar to the other thread of surgery, but this is not for purely aesthetic reasons only. I've been wearing glasses for almost 10 years, and its has restricted me in quite alot of activities e.g. playing contact sports such as rugby and sparring in martial arts. Also for obvious social reasons, I'd sometimes prefer not to wear glasses since that would make me look a bit bookish. But contact lenses are not a great solution - you have to take a lot of care with them, and my eyes seem uber sensitive to stuff put into them. So what are the success rates of eye surgery these days, and is it actually feasible?
white_solitude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
OK this is a bit similar to the other thread of surgery, but this is not for purely aesthetic reasons only. I've been wearing glasses for almost 10 years, and its has restricted me in quite alot of activities e.g. playing contact sports such as rugby and sparring in martial arts. Also for obvious social reasons, I'd sometimes prefer not to wear glasses since that would make me look a bit bookish. But contact lenses are not a great solution - you have to take a lot of care with them, and my eyes seem uber sensitive to stuff put into them. So what are the success rates of eye surgery these days, and is it actually feasible?

i wear glasses too, a couple of months ago i got contact lenses and i don't really like them that much...they dry up my eyes if i leave them for too long and i'm looking into laser treatment. my friend's dad is an eye specalist and apparently laser treatment isn't as good, or sucessful as an operation (i don't know what the actual difference is) but i think if, in the future I do get to a point where my eye sight is really bothering me then yes, I would consider it.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
Yeah it is.. if you don't mind someone burning holes in your eyes. My friend told me that their now working on something that will give you better than 20/20 vision.. don't know if that's true though (she's a bit crazy)..
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1998/498_eye.html

try here, i think it has some info...
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Keep with glasses, there's nothing wrong with looking a bit 'bookish'. Persist with contact lenses, but try getting the squidgy ones. They are more expensive but a lot easier to use.
tofu
Report 16 years ago
well wat u really need to do is check out all the pros and cons of the laser eye surgery how much u r at risk will it deffinatly work try and talk 2 someone who has had it done do some background research if decide its not 4 u at least u know the facts1
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought it was very expensive and quite dangerous too. I don't think its something i'd risk doing. Apparently you could end up with worse sight or none at all if something goes wrong. Sorry to be pessimistic.
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
laser eyes eh?? aren't those illegal?
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by white_solitude)
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1998/498_eye.html

try here, i think it has some info...
cool, that seems to provide a lot of information on the details of the procedure and the risks involved (although it's a bit dated)..
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I want to have it done but my old man's in the know and has told me that the success rate is not nearly as high as these places would have you believe.
Hayley_2k4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it's not worth it
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i wear contacts almost all the times. I'll get laser when its safer and cheaper.
*boo*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maybe when my eye sight gets much worst than it is now. Some people's eyesight gets better as they are older but mine just seems to be getting worst. In a few years time it'll probably be less dangerous too.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i hated glasses, but wore them for about 8 years. i then got contacts and was really suprised i took to them really quickly.

i would personally never have laser treatment- my brothers godmother had it done and was off work for 4 months cos it went wrong and she was in a lot of pain and could hardly see. someone else i know had it and although it all went well and she loves not having contacts anymore, she says she would never ever recommend it to anyone because she said it was so painful.

i couldn't have it done anyway cos i have an astigmatism which can't be corrected so i would still need glasses/contacts.

i would seriously advise giving contacts a go.

lou xxx
researcher
Report 15 years ago
I've got an appointment in just over a week to see if I'm suitable. I know several people who've had it done and are delighted with the results. However, you have to wait until your eyes have settled down and your prescription is fairly static - unlikely in under 21s. You can now have astigmatism treated and there are several different procedures available, depending on your eyes.

There's a forum on the Ultralase website which is very helpful. http://www.lasereyeforum.com/forum/index.php
kissit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
I dont wear glasses or contacts but of i did i would definately try laser eye surgery. I dont know what the success rate is but I figure anything that will make things easy, life better etc is worth a go! : )
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads