swiftylol
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've struggled for a bit on this question but I cant figure it out, some help (with an explanation) would be appreciated

Q) Some babies are born with a hole in the septum. How might this afect the composition of blood entering the systemic circulation?

(4 marks)

Its talking about the septum of the heart, just to clarify
batman_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by swiftylol)
I've struggled for a bit on this question but I cant figure it out, some help (with an explanation) would be appreciated

Q) Some babies are born with a hole in the septum. How might this afect the composition of blood entering the systemic circulation?

(4 marks)

Its talking about the septum of the heart, just to clarify
Well, you would not have proper separation of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood (I presume). So you would get mixed blood oxygenation levels going to the pulm. and systemic circulation.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ignoring the fact that a hole in the septum would mess with ventricular pressure, it would cause oxygenated and deoxygenated blood to mix. It would mean that oxygenated blood may get sent to the lungs to be re-reoxygenated (useless) and then deoxygenated blood would be sent to the body (useless). Basically discuss that, perhaps with some detail on the importance of oxygen.
swiftylol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beska)
Ignoring the fact that a hole in the septum would mess with ventricular pressure, it would cause oxygenated and deoxygenated blood to mix. It would mean that oxygenated blood may get sent to the lungs to be re-reoxygenated (useless) and then deoxygenated blood would be sent to the body (useless). Basically discuss that, perhaps with some detail on the importance of oxygen.

This may make me sound thick, but I dont understand how it actually causes them to mix, I understand all the other stuff but I just dont see how a hole (could be in any part) would cause the types of oxygen to mix.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This may make me sound thick, but I dont understand how it actually causes them to mix, I understand all the other stuff but I just dont see how a hole (could be in any part) would cause the types of oxygen to mix.
No worries, I'll try and help. First off, I'm not talking about 2 different types of oxygen but 2 different 'states' of blood.

The human body has a so-called double circulatory system. In the first circuit, the deoxygenated blood is pumped from the heart (right ventricle) to the lungs to become oxygenated. In the second circuit, the now oxygenated blood is pumped by the heart (left ventricle) to the body, so the body can use the oxygen. Once the oxygen is used up, it is then deoxygenated and the cycle repeats. When there is a mixing of the 2 difference states - such as a hole in the septum - it makes the system inefficient. This is because the heart is trying to oxygenate already oxygenated blood and is pumping deoxygenated blood to the body. The mixing of the 2 different "systems" is the problem here.
swiftylol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beska)
No worries, I'll try and help. First off, I'm not talking about 2 different types of oxygen but 2 different 'states' of blood.

The human body has a so-called double circulatory system. In the first circuit, the deoxygenated blood is pumped from the heart (right ventricle) to the lungs to become oxygenated. In the second circuit, the now oxygenated blood is pumped by the heart (left ventricle) to the body, so the body can use the oxygen. Once the oxygen is used up, it is then deoxygenated and the cycle repeats. When there is a mixing of the 2 difference states - such as a hole in the septum - it makes the system inefficient. This is because the heart is trying to oxygenate already oxygenated blood and is pumping deoxygenated blood to the body. The mixing of the 2 different "systems" is the problem here.

Sorry, that was a typo (two types of oxygen)

I understand everything about the circulation etc but I think I just didnt fully understand the role of the septum itself, but ive realised that its sort of like a barrier between the two states of blood, like around where the atrium and ventricles are located.

Thanks for clearing it up
l4ith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it is important to mention that blood will enter from the left side to the right side of the heart as the pressure in the LHS is greater, when a hole is present. i.e. blood goes from LV --> RV.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry, that was a typo (two types of oxygen)

I understand everything about the circulation etc but I think I just didnt fully understand the role of the septum itself, but ive realised that its sort of like a barrier between the two states of blood, like around where the atrium and ventricles are located.

Thanks for clearing it up
Yup, that's right. The heart is split up into two halves (those 2 halves then split into atria/ventricles). The 'wall' between the two halves (technically, the two ventricles) is the septum.
Afoma
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The septum separates the left and right ventricles. The left ventricle is responsible for pumping oxygenated blood and the right for pumping deoxygenated blood. If there is a hole in the septum, blood flows from the left side to the right side because of the higher pressure in the right side.. Hence both oxygenated and deoxygenated blood would mix and not enough oxygen would be supplied to the body as the composition has been reduced.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (190)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.27%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (120)
9.81%
Isolating with family (85)
6.95%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.84%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (106)
8.67%
Loneliness (118)
9.65%
Financial worries (52)
4.25%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
8.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.28%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (107)
8.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed