This discussion is closed.
Unhappy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I applied to Cambridge , I am gutted that I didn't get in (i got pooled but haven't heard anything yet so i'm assuming a no)and don't think it's fair. I am female, state school, 12 A* 1 A at GCSE, 4A 1 B at AS, predicted 4A at A-level. I have a part time job, my personal statement was good, I do lots in my spare time and have a busy social life. What does one need to do?!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's not fair, no, I'm sorry :/
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unhappy)
I applied to Cambridge , I am gutted that I didn't get in (i got pooled but haven't heard anything yet so i'm assuming a no)and don't think it's fair. I am female, state school, 12 A* 1 A at GCSE, 4A 1 B at AS, predicted 4A at A-level. I have a part time job, my personal statement was good, I do lots in my spare time and have a busy social life. What does one need to do?!
I would imagine that a large proportion of applicants have equally impressive credentials/past experience. It mostly rests on the interview so it really can be down to the little things. Many excellent applicants who apply for competitive courses or to competitive colleges are turned away just because there simply is not enough space for them all... At least you know you are definitely up to standard
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What does one need to do?!
Be lucky.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Be lucky.
And come across well at interview.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
LBF
Report 16 years ago
Im in the same situation, good grades etc but still a rejection. In the end i think it boils down to luck, luck and how much money 'daddy' has in the bank, lol (sorry, biterness raised its head there)

I think the system sucks!
Cambridge pooled me and i thought i was still under concideration until i checked UCAS and had been rejected.
So after travelling all the way there, etc they dont have the manners to inform me personally by post.....

What implicable manners cambridge admissions personal have
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Que sera sera
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
have a personality? Impress the interviewers?

i know its not fair i know a girl who has exactly the same results and she heads our debating society and she got rejected...what the hell do these people want?! I reckon its because she was applying to do economics and thats male dominated and they want to keep it that way!
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
maybe the subjects you did werent suitable and others had better...but this girl im referring to has maths, further maths, physics, economics and History...i really cant imagine better a levels...but whatever!
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Trust me. I feel your pain - I could bet all my money on the fact that I know so much more than quite a few of the people who got in. And I'm not an arrogant person.
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Trust me. I feel your pain - I could bet all my money on the fact that I know so much more than quite a few of the people who got in. And I'm not an arrogant person.
Obviously they didn't think so. Regardless of what you put at the end of your post, it did sound a bit...well - arrogant.

Ben
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Obviously they didn't think so. Regardless of what you put at the end of your post, it did sound a bit...well - arrogant.

Ben
That wasn't meant to sound quite so offensive - sorry. It's a bit of a lottery and you never really know how well you performed at interview.

Ben
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
I could bet all my money on the fact that I know so much more than quite a few of the people who got in. And I'm not an arrogant person.
The application process is not about what you know.

They want real talent, not workmanlike chuggers.

(not that I am suggesting for a second that you are the latter, just pointing out the flaw in your argument)
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
So after travelling all the way there, etc they dont have the manners to inform me personally by post.....
I agree, that is terrible. They should have at least sent you a letter saying that you had been unsuccessful in the pool. For them not to do that is extremely impolite.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
I would imagine that a large proportion of applicants have equally impressive credentials/past experience. It mostly rests on the interview so it really can be down to the little things. Many excellent applicants who apply for competitive courses or to competitive colleges are turned away just because there simply is not enough space for them all... At least you know you are definitely up to standard
A guy I know applied to Emmanuel. He was not only head boy, but he was really a great guy, not the usual muppet suck up head-boy type - he had been chosen by the other students at his school. He was nice, modest and very funny. He also had all kinds of great activities, great grades, and dedicated to his subject, in fact he was the top student in his year at his highly rated grammar school for the subject he was applying in. He was pooled. Now, he did get fished out by another college, but it shows you how competitive it is. And no, they didn't reject him because he was a) an ethnic minority b) working class c) northern d) from an independent school e) a girl. They take lots of people from his school each year, they had no prejudice - it's just VERY HARD TO GET IN, PEOPLE !!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
so you think that the state school female bits should count in your favour?
J
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
so you think that the state school female bits should count in your favour?
J
I don't think she said that. It depends what you mean by 'female bits', really...

Ben
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Also, you really need to be suited for your subject. You can be Albert Einstein but if you apply for a subject in which you can't display interest and enthusiasm, then your grades won't help you.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I suppose it depends on which college and what subject you apply for. For instance, I applied for maths at Trinity and got an offer but they give offers to about half the applicants (as they expect only half to meet the 1,1 on STEP offer) whereas I've heard stories of 10:1 applicants to offers ratios. It's a mix of a bit of luck and talent for people like me who aren't exceptional but talented enough at their subject to fight for a place like all the people who got pooled and those who narrowly missed getting pooled.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
Im in the same situation, good grades etc but still a rejection. In the end i think it boils down to luck, luck and how much money 'daddy' has in the bank, lol (sorry, biterness raised its head there)

I think the system sucks!
Cambridge pooled me and i thought i was still under concideration until i checked UCAS and had been rejected.

What implicable manners cambridge admissions personal have
That was bad of them - usually they write to you first for most things and UCAS stuff doesn't come up for ages. I expect you will get a letter from them eventually though

And I don't think that how much money "daddy" has is an influencing factor - unless they try to bribe their way in, how are they going to know?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads