The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Hey, my names chris im nearly 22 i start at loughborough in about a month. i Just left the army, and am moving onto new pastures. I guess im a bit nervous as to the gap i may face. Im not that much older than most, but 5 years as a soldier including 7 months in afghanistan and over a year away in various nasty places of the world, im dreading how i will cope with 18 year olds with nowhere near the level of life experience iv got. gotta love institutionalisation!
Reply 641
Name : Adam

Loaction : Southampton

Course : Civil Engineering Beng Hons Part Time (Starting this September)

University : LSBU

Job : Engineering Technician

Previous Education : BTEC and HNC in Civil Engineering
Reply 642
Hello all,
I'm 32 and will be starting a BSC in Police & Criminal Investigation on Monday at UCLan!
Reply 643
Hi im 23 and will be starting a degree in nursing on the 24th Hertfordshire university, I'm doing it now because I really didn't have the right mind set for university when I was 18 or the right qualifications. I left school at 15 with bad GCSE results and did not continue on with college as I just wanted to get out of school. At 19 I felt ready to go back into education so did a BTEC first diploma in health and social care and then went onto do a BTEC national dipolma in health studies.
Hey all,

I'm 31, living in London and have just signed up for an Open University degree in Computing and IT.

Spent most of my youth not really having any interest in education, did just ok in my GCSEs, got an Advanced GNVQ in IT then went to Uni in Wrexham to study Multimedia Computing but really lacked the desire to learn so I ended up leaving in my 2nd year. So I went into working life first in Manchester and then London just doing boring admin roles. So I was recently made redundant and it's got me thinking it's time to give that studying thing another go. I don't start until February though so at the moment I'm using this forum to help me get motivated for when I do start.
Reply 645
Hi all,
I am Anna, I'm 31 and will be starting a MA in Cultural Heritage Management this October at York. I'm hoping that being a postgrad course there will be some other oldies including me. I did my undergrad in Canada (also as a mature student) and found that there were lots of students in the 18-22 range, and several in the 40+ range, but very few in the middle. Is this the same in the UK?
Regardless, I'm going with the "never grow up, never grow old" attitude. :smile:
I don't believe I've actually posted here yet!

I'm Christopher, almost twenty-two, and will hopefully begin my journey to university next year (I'll be well into my twenty-third birthday when actually starting, if all goes to plan). Would have started already, though monetary dilemmas prevented the ball rolling.

I'll be studying Law eventually. :smile:

I'm member of the art community, a keen lover of classical, classic rock and the odd metal group, I speak a few languages conversationally, though nothing particularly outstanding, in addition to being a 'bookish blockhead'.

Nice to meet you guys.
Reply 647
Hi farah, so did u manage to do the access course? How did u find it? And did u manage to get into the MD biomedical science course? Please do let us know how it went...

Thanks

Original post by Fara7
Hello people,

My name is farah,24yrs old, Iam iraqi living in the london for 3 years now ..iam working as a letting agent in the city .

In Iraq I have done pure scientific subjects at A-level . My overall score was 95% ! yeah got accepted into baghdad university to study medicine but THANKS to the war I didnt go ahead and moved to the Uk .

I have just applied to do an access course to science ...hopefully i will get straight Distinctive so I apply for Biomedical degree (lead to MD) at met.university .
Reply 648
Hello all. I'm Jerry and I'm 55 years old. I started a BSc (Hons) in Studio & Performance Technology at Glyndwr last year. I left school with just a few O levels and most of my life worked as a full time musician, though was always interested in recording as a hobby. Just one week into the course I was moved to the second year under the APEL scheme (Accreditation by Prior Experiential Learning) and scored a first in all 6 of the modules taken to date, including uni records in 2 of them. On the strength of this I successfully applied for a taught master's degree course (MMus) at Bangor which I started yesterday - so am now attending 2 universities simultaneously. (Fortunately I don't return to Glyndwr til Oct 3rd so have a bit of a chance to settle in). Its gonna be a lot of hard work (and a lot of travelling as I live about half way between the 2 unis) but if all continues to go well I will have completed a BSc and a Masters all in the space of 2 years. (Yes I'm crowing a bit I know, but I genuinely hope it might inspire others since no-one was more nervous than me of not being able to keep up with the youngsters this time last year!)

I'm hoping to go into lecturing myself to see me up to my retirement years as I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to be trapsing round the world playing in bands! Anyway, good luck to everyone - hope you all enjoy the experience as much as I have!
Original post by JerryC
Hello all. I'm Jerry and I'm 55 years old. I started a BSc (Hons) in Studio & Performance Technology at Glyndwr last year. I left school with just a few O levels and most of my life worked as a full time musician, though was always interested in recording as a hobby. Just one week into the course I was moved to the second year under the APEL scheme (Accreditation by Prior Experiential Learning) and scored a first in all 6 of the modules taken to date, including uni records in 2 of them. On the strength of this I successfully applied for a taught master's degree course (MMus) at Bangor which I started yesterday - so am now attending 2 universities simultaneously. (Fortunately I don't return to Glyndwr til Oct 3rd so have a bit of a chance to settle in). Its gonna be a lot of hard work (and a lot of travelling as I live about half way between the 2 unis) but if all continues to go well I will have completed a BSc and a Masters all in the space of 2 years. (Yes I'm crowing a bit I know, but I genuinely hope it might inspire others since no-one was more nervous than me of not being able to keep up with the youngsters this time last year!)

I'm hoping to go into lecturing myself to see me up to my retirement years as I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to be trapsing round the world playing in bands! Anyway, good luck to everyone - hope you all enjoy the experience as much as I have!

i've been battering my head most of the weekend trying to cobble together a personal statement - my face now looks like this > :eek4: however, draft one is now complete - so, i decided to veg by mooching in here.

may i just say, ty so much for posting. i bloody hate the word 'mature student' but that's what i deffo am as well.

i've only just started my studies and at present am on an access course and i pray nitely (curious as i'm not religious :biggrin:) for some uni to give me a place. tho i shall haunt my preferred places an scare em into giving me a place, so help me!

anyway...lots of luck to you and i hope you are enjoying yourself :smile:

since i'm here i suppose i oughta introduce myself.
i'm on an access to social work course and this time next year, hope to be at the scottish uni of my choice.
it's been interesting so far as my only experience has been of the english education system, and the scots do things rather differently.
still, it's all good nail biting fun :wink:
am 27,worked and been to college,went to live in new zealand and came back to do degree,in 2nd yr of computer science in bradford uni
I am due to start a Diploma/Bsc in Adult Nursing in January 2012 at University of Nottingham. I have a feeling that at 36 I'll be the oldest there:smile:
Hi all.

I'm 33, and have just started an Access to HE course in Archaeology and Ancient History. I was made redundant in March, and decided that it was time to do something I've been thinking about for years. I'm hoping to continue to university to study History (although Classical Studies is very appealing at the minute!), and then do a PGCE and go in to primary teaching. I chose this route rather than a BEd or another degree with QTS because I want to study for myself, as well as career prospects; i.e. it's not just "a means to an end"

I went to sixth form college but dropped out after a year - I was studying A level Chemistry, Biology and Geography. I soon realised I'm an artist, not a scientist! In many ways I regret not going straight back in to education, but in others, I'm glad to have had the experiences I have - I honestly don't think I was mature enough to go to university and get the best from it at 18 anyway.

Anyway, here I am, and loving the course I'm on. I'm struggling a bit with essays, but I'm sure after the first couple, things will get easier.
Hi there,

I'm 29 and left school with the German O-level because I had to move out from home, support myself and later the rest of my family. In all that time I wanted nothing more than to study but financial circumstances made it impossible. I'm doing a terribly boring admin job and think I'm going crazy if I don't change something before it's too late. Just need to find out where to start :redface:
Glad to have this place, nice to meet you all courageous people!
hi im helen, im 26 and in my second year doing an access in science. in the process of picking unis now, really hope i get offered a place in one of them, though i get intimidated by all the 18 yr olds with their ten a*s! anyhow i want to do dietetics next sept, fingers crossed i get what i need. nice to see there are others out there in the same boat
hi everyone, i'm Lan, i'm 25 year old. i just had degree at NEU and in the near future, i would like to learn economic master on aboard, especially in UK. so now i try to learn english to get my dream. I hope get helps from all of you. Thanks so much.
Reply 656
Hi,

I'm Saskia. I'm from Germany, 25 years old and I applied to Uni for 2012. I want to study Forensic Science. Still waiting for some offers.
Reply 657
I'm 25, studying BSc Psychology at Leeds Trinity, with a view to eventually doing a doctorate in Educational Psychology
Am I the oldest one here??? I'm 55 and just applied to study PPE at Oxford, though am not feeling very hopeful right now, after the interviews last week. Maybe plan B next year...
Reply 659
"Am I the oldest one here???"

No you're not the oldest here - I'm the same age as you (see posts above). Am loving uni and the time is flying. Good luck, hope you find the same great experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending