Geography - abrasion and corrasion? Watch

jellybeangirl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Revising rivers and was wondering is abrasion and corrasion the same thing?
I know corrosion is a totally different thing but I'm a bit confused about corrasion and abrasion.

Thank you
Heather with the Weather
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Corrasion is the wearing away of rock on the riverbed by abrasion (sandpaper-like action). I tended to only use abrasion in my answers though.
Enzo-259
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh wow, this brings me back... :moon:

And yeah, they're essentially the same thing. If you want to be nitpicky, Corrasion is the erosive action of particles carried by rivers(or wind/ice/etc.), while abrasion is the process by which they're broken down through friction.
jellybeangirl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Heather with the Weather)
Corrasion is the wearing away of rock on the riverbed by abrasion (sandpaper-like action). I tended to only use abrasion in my answers though.
Thank you, this really helps!
TheBirder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Enzo-259)
Oh wow, this brings me back... :moon:

And yeah, they're essentially the same thing. If you want to be nitpicky, Corrasion is the erosive action of particles carried by rivers(or wind/ice/etc.), while abrasion is the process by which they're broken down through friction.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem. The CIE A level syllabus lists abrasion and corrasion as separate things, but what you describe as abrasion is what I was taught as attrition at IGCSE and attrition is not listed on the A level syllabus.
TheBirder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheBirder)
I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem. The CIE A level syllabus lists abrasion and corrasion as separate things, but what you describe as abrasion is what I was taught as attrition at IGCSE and attrition is not listed on the A level syllabus.
Similarly, I'm wondering about the exact difference between hydraulic action and cavitation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish