The Student Room Group

gyms

are they truly evil?

i have just got a bank statement and i'm spending £19 a month on a gym- now this is a great deal, it has 3 pools, includes classes (their student memberhip= platinum) + is the nicest gym in town 9in my opinion) but i've been ill recently and haven't been for about a month... should i just quit (have to give a months notice anyway) or should i perservere and hope that when i feel better i will be more motivated? when i get in the habit of going i will go about 3 times a week, but i really shouldn't go at the mocos it will make me far more ill and i can't afford to lose any more weight.

how many other people go to gyms? how often do you go and how much does it cost you?

lou xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
try ad keep at it, unless £19 is too much for the monthly budget. although you could just do walking etc. instead of gym?
Reply 2
I used to pay something ridiculous like that.. but didn't go as often as I should have so it wasn't really worth it. Could you cancel your sub and just pay everytime you want to use it? It might work at cheaper if you can't go at the mo..
Reply 3
Instead of cancelling, can I take your place and you pay for it?
Reply 4
Keep the membership ! Just do nice exercise like a bit of swimming here and there and make use of the sauna / steam room. Then when you feel up to it go back and work your way back up to 3 times a week. :smile:
Why do you go to the gym? To keep fit? Thats not a stupid question, i'm being serious and I will give you the best alternative which happens to be free if thats all you want to do.
Reply 6
Joey_Johns
Why do you go to the gym? To keep fit? Thats not a stupid question, i'm being serious and I will give you the best alternative which happens to be free if thats all you want to do.

*Sleazy pick-up line alert!*
ZJuwelH
*Sleazy pick-up line alert!*

Incorrect. I'm a rugby player. I know how to keep fit. Gyms are mainly for the building of muscle which I doubt she is intending to do.

What you are refering to, does very little for your cardiovascular fitness.
Reply 8
Joey_Johns
Incorrect. I'm a rugby player. I know how to keep fit. Gyms are mainly for the building of muscle which I doubt she is intending to do.

What you are refering to, does very little for your cardiovascular fitness.

i'm addicted to rugby (although was never very good at playing, but i did have a go). i mainly use the gym for the swimming pools- they are a lovely temp and so much quieter than the public ones (and actually work out cheaper in cost than paying per visit)... i also used to go to the classes like yoga + pilates + boxercise etc. hardly eva actually use the gym equipment... more kinda make the effort and ending chattin to my friend.

lou xxx
What is wrong with you idiots. Just jump on a bike or go for a run. Running costs the price of some food and a pair of trainers every few months. Plus you get so much more out of running or cycling in a free space. You can plan a journey for which you are committed and have to complete. Also its much more entertaining than doing it fraudulently in a sweaty gym.
lou p
i'm addicted to rugby (although was never very good at playing, but i did have a go). i mainly use the gym for the swimming pools- they are a lovely temp and so much quieter than the public ones (and actually work out cheaper in cost than paying per visit)... i also used to go to the classes like yoga + pilates + boxercise etc. hardly eva actually use the gym equipment... more kinda make the effort and ending chattin to my friend.

lou xxx

Lol. As I suspected. Every girl I know who goes to a gym goes with there friends for a chat/perv. If it works out cheaper and you prefer the pools and chats then i'd say stay!
Reply 11
lou p
are they truly evil?

i have just got a bank statement and i'm spending £19 a month on a gym- now this is a great deal, it has 3 pools, includes classes (their student memberhip= platinum) + is the nicest gym in town 9in my opinion) but i've been ill recently and haven't been for about a month... should i just quit (have to give a months notice anyway) or should i perservere and hope that when i feel better i will be more motivated? when i get in the habit of going i will go about 3 times a week, but i really shouldn't go at the mocos it will make me far more ill and i can't afford to lose any more weight.

how many other people go to gyms? how often do you go and how much does it cost you?

lou xxx

I go 3 or 4 times a week although last week I was ill and only went Thursday and Friday.

I do a 4 mile run either outside or on the runner followed by various weights and situps.

Getting motivated to go is the hardest part - once I am there and running (I do the run first) everything else just falls into place.
Michael Beaver
What is wrong with you idiots. Just jump on a bike or go for a run. Running costs the price of some food and a pair of trainers every few months. Plus you get so much more out of running or cycling in a free space. You can plan a journey for which you are committed and have to complete. Also its much more entertaining than doing it fraudulently in a sweaty gym.

I was going to suggest she goes running. There is no substitute fot it when trying to keep fit. Where I live it is veautiful and a pleasure to go running.

Cycling I disagree with. It build unessary muscle for my sport.
Reply 13
Joey_Johns

So what is it?

EDIT: Nevermind simultaneous posting. :biggrin:
Reply 14
lou p

lou xxx

i think it's a good thing to belong to a gym... you're lucky to be able to belong to one... I am quite keen on martial arts, for which a substantial amount of training needs to be done. I got to use a gym last year for about 2 months, and it helped me out no end. There are so many facilities you can use there - the badminton/sports halls are good as well, besides the sauna/steam room and swimming pool that you mentioned. Incidentally, I find that the steam room is quite a good way of removing any black spots on your face if you do have any - so it's not just fitness you get from visiting the gym! :biggrin: it's a really good feeling having exercised, and it's only by going to the gym (esp in the winter) that I feel I can exercise and stretch all my muscles - a run doesnt do enough.

So keep it lou :biggrin: alternatively transfer the membership to me :tongue:
Waya
So what is it?

See above.
Reply 16
Joey_Johns
See above.

See above edit. :tongue:
Reply 17
running does not exercise enough of the body
4Ed
- a run doesnt do enough.

I disagree. I find running outside far more enjoyable than being inside. But I do also use gyms.
4Ed
running does not exercise enough of the body

If I didnt run I couldnt play rugby for 80 minutes its that simple. It increases stamina.

Latest

Trending

Trending