This discussion is closed.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I disagree. I find running outside far more enjoyable than being inside. But I do also use gyms.
i can't stand running outside... i live in a fairly towny area- not one of these places you go 5 minutes and be in the country. and i don't like rain or wind or being seen out running. lol.

these replies have actually got me motivated to go back to the gym again (or at least do some swimming to try and get myself healthy again). once i'm properly better i want to start squash (lessons included in my membership- i have got a good deal haven't i?)

lou xxx
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i can't stand running outside... i live in a fairly towny area- not one of these places you go 5 minutes and be in the country. and i don't like rain or wind or being seen out running. lol.

these replies have actually got me motivated to go back to the gym again (or at least do some swimming to try and get myself healthy again). once i'm properly better i want to start squash (lessons included in my membership- i have got a good deal haven't i?)

lou xxx
yeah you do.... I'm just amazed you don't make more use of it! The ones available at my local gym are all expensive, and DONT give any lessons included! so you don't know how lucky you are! Mind you, we've got a new thermae bath spa opening near the sports centre soon, as well as refurbished sports facilities up at the uni - should drive the prices down a bit
If I didnt run I couldnt play rugby for 80 minutes its that simple. It increases stamina.
it does, it get's your fitness levels up, but it's not really a suitable for exercising the whole body. One the jolts can put pressure on your joints - Two, not much of the upper body strength is used, Three you don't fully work out your legs in all parts either.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

lou xxx
I believe £19 is a good deal but I havent paid to go in a gym for ages so I wouldnt know.

Your location is unfortunate. I live on the doorstep to beautiful moors...which no one ever uses when I run (after tea). I can't see you living in England long then lol.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
it does, it get's your fitness levels up, but it's not really a suitable for exercising the whole body. One the jolts can put pressure on your joints - Two, not much of the upper body strength is used, Three you don't fully work out your legs in all parts either.
Trust me I know about this stuff. I understand what your saying totally. I play for a professional club, I use the gym when I have to. I dont over do running it at all.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Trust me I know about this stuff. I understand what your saying totally. I play for a professional club, I use the gym when I have to. I dont over do running it at all.
wow, which team do you play for then?

running isn't really that suited to what i do - mainly quite gymnastic martial arts stuff, so gym and circuit training are a bit more important to us.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
are they truly evil?

i have just got a bank statement and i'm spending £19 a month on a gym- now this is a great deal, it has 3 pools, includes classes (their student memberhip= platinum) + is the nicest gym in town 9in my opinion) but i've been ill recently and haven't been for about a month... should i just quit (have to give a months notice anyway) or should i perservere and hope that when i feel better i will be more motivated? when i get in the habit of going i will go about 3 times a week, but i really shouldn't go at the mocos it will make me far more ill and i can't afford to lose any more weight.

how many other people go to gyms? how often do you go and how much does it cost you?

lou xxx
i go to 1 and its free, its not like a brand new gym but its got all the equipment and its clean so who cares. i go twice a week
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
wow, which team do you play for then?

running isn't really that suited to what i do - mainly quite gymnastic martial arts stuff, so gym and circuit training are a bit more important to us.
I'm contracted to Orrell. Sadly we were beaten on Saturday by Worcester meaning the likely hood of us going up next year is very slim now.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
I'm contracted to Orrell. Sadly we were beaten on Saturday by Worcester meaning the likely hood of us going up next year is very slim now.
really? i was there on saturday freezing my arse off... not the best match ever, but a good try.

lou xxx
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Signing for Division One straight from school? pretty impressive. how frequently do pro players have to train?

Sorry Lou we're turning this into a rugby thread
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
really? i was there on saturday freezing my arse off... not the best match ever, but a good try.

lou xxx
Wow. Cool. I wasnt actually there. Like I said I'm contracted. I'm training with Northampton at the moment down here. I'm going to Uni next year so its irrelevent anyway.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
Signing for Division One straight from school? pretty impressive. how frequently do pro players have to train?

I have a semi-pro contract. Train twice a week and get paid peanuts. I'm training with Northampton, just to keep fit really while I'm down here (I'm in Southampton).
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by 4Ed)
don't apologise, it's far more interesting than the gym...

i'm absalutely gutted at the mo, i have a debenture (seat that is mine for every game if i choose to take it) at murrayfield (scotland's ground for non-rugbyites) and so do my brothers...and last week i got a letter addressed to me containing 3 calcutta cup tickets, only to find i can't miss work that saturday... i wanted to cry. so my mum + dad and brother are going to the match while i have to work than go and watch it in a pub in england... it sucks

lou xxx
Michael Beaver
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was going to suggest she goes running. There is no substitute fot it when trying to keep fit. Where I live it is veautiful and a pleasure to go running.

Cycling I disagree with. It build unessary muscle for my sport.
Cycling is one of two sports I regualrly perform and I must admit to having perculiarly sized muscles in my legs and bottom!

Cycling is dangerous unless you are experienced enough to see the potential accidents coming. Ofcourse you need to cycle to gain this experience so you need to start off slowly. I wasn't very fit when I started cycling all those years ago which meant that I didnt go very fast giving me the opportunity to safely learn how to avoid the impatient cars.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

i'm absalutely gutted at the mo, i have a debenture (seat that is mine for every game if i choose to take it) at murrayfield (scotland's ground for non-rugbyites) and so do my brothers...and last week i got a letter addressed to me containing 3 calcutta cup tickets, only to find i can't miss work that saturday... i wanted to cry. so my mum + dad and brother are going to the match while i have to work than go and watch it in a pub in england... it sucks

lou xxx
Thats a sickner. Have you ever been to the millenium stadium with when full? Its better than Twickers IMO.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Thats a sickner. Have you ever been to the millenium stadium with when full? Its better than Twickers IMO.
no i haven't, dunno why not- keep gettin offered tickets for scotland-wales every other year (well every year but obv every other there). i want to go to landsdowne road- the atmosphere there is meant to be great (i love the irish matches anyway).

do you know andy craig at orrell? i reckon he plays ok for scotland (unlike the rest of the team)

lou xxx
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

lou xxx
u poor girl

have u tried bribing someone else to take your place at work ? There's always other matches...
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by 4Ed)
u poor girl

have u tried bribing someone else to take your place at work ? There's always other matches...
i tried that... i basically i can't afford time off work (nd the girl i work with- who we can sometimes get away with only1 of us being there- wne tand got her bf tickets for his 21st... damn why did i give her that order form. ah well, we'll get beat anyway.

lou xxx
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no i haven't, dunno why not- keep gettin offered tickets for scotland-wales every other year (well every year but obv every other there). i want to go to landsdowne road- the atmosphere there is meant to be great (i love the irish matches anyway).

do you know andy craig at orrell? i reckon he plays ok for scotland (unlike the rest of the team)

lou xxx
Yeh. Craigy is a top player who shouldnt be playing in the first division. We can thank Mr. Whelan for his pressence at the club He will be leaving if we dont get promoted.

I went to watch the world cup (hence my gap year) and still being contracted to Orrell. The atmosphere there was nothing I can compare to over here. It was more emotional, weird but great.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i tried that... i basically i can't afford time off work (nd the girl i work with- who we can sometimes get away with only1 of us being there- wne tand got her bf tickets for his 21st... damn why did i give her that order form. ah well, we'll get beat anyway.

lou xxx
Lol. You support Scotland? Oh dear. A boy at my old school is playing for Scotland youth now I think, even though he is BLATENTLY English. He is classy though and should become a top player.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Yeh. Craigy is a top player who shouldnt be playing in the first division. We can thank Mr. Whelan for his pressence at the club He will be leaving if we dont get promoted.

I went to watch the world cup (hence my gap year) and still being contracted to Orrell. The atmosphere there was nothing I can compare to over here. It was more emotional, weird but great.
i don't want him to go!!! mr whelan is great, if it wasn't for him orrel would have gone- they never really coped with goin professional. i think it's really odd that out of all the teams you're contracted with it's the one that i support and have really old jerseys of (look for the super old cica ones- the away kit was red + black and gold- that was when i started watching them. lol)

lou xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
66.67%
Yes- I don't like it (0)
0%
No- I want it (1)
33.33%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads