Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology offers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I did a search and couldn't find a thread exactly on this so I decided to start my first ever thread!
    So detail your situation here!

Just been rejected by York even though I have the grades so I'm worried about the others!
    Still waiting on Southampton, Durham, Nottingham, Leicester, Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    I did a search and couldn't find a thread exactly on this so I decided to start my first ever thread!
    So detail your situation here!

Just been rejected by York even though I have the grades so I'm worried about the others!
    Still waiting on Southampton, Durham, Nottingham, Leicester, Manchester.
    I've not applied for Psychology but one of my best friends has and she has offers from Southampton, Durham, Sheffield, Bath and Leeds but has not heard from Notts yet (her first choice).

Do you mean you have the required predicted grades or that you are a post A-level student?

ReputationRep:
    I'm post A Level, AAAB and general studies A.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's worth 'phoning York then- just to find out what they disliked about your application?

I know they don't have to give offers to everyone who meets their publicised offer requirements, but it might be good to know what they felt about your application.

Where are you most interested in going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katini)
    Do you think it's worth 'phoning York then- just to find out what they disliked about your application?

I know they don't have to give offers to everyone who meets their publicised offer requirements, but it might be good to know what they felt about your application.

Where are you most interested in going?
    I know it takes more than grades - justa bit disappointed! I might e mail them and ask, although it won't really help other than worry me more!
    I'm most interested in Durham now I think. If I don't get in there I've no idea where I'll go!

ReputationRep:
    I know it takes more than grades - justa bit disappointed! I might e mail them and ask, although it won't really help other than worry me more!
    I'm most interested in Durham now I think. If I don't get in there I've no idea where I'll go!
    Well I would heartily recommend Durham (it's where I am going!!) and I know that it's quite good for Psychology. I think it might be worth contacting York- obviously it depends on your other university replies though.

What college at Durham have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to collingwood so I'm expecting them to put me in a second college.
    What subject are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Did you say that you'd only recently submitted your form?

With York, this could be the reason, they do tend to give out a lot of offers early and it could be that they have simply ran out of places.

Of course, they would never admit that to you, however.

With those grades, and a decent PS/reference, they really have no other reason to reject you.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to collingwood so I'm expecting them to put me in a second college.
    I am going to do History/Politics at Van Mildert. I applied to Castle (like so many other people!) and got placed there.

ReputationRep:
    which one do you think is better for psychology, york, bath or notts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Hmm. Did you say that you'd only recently submitted your form?

With York, this could be the reason, they do tend to give out a lot of offers early and it could be that they have simply ran out of places.

Of course, they would never admit that to you, however.

With those grades, and a decent PS/reference, they really have no other reason to reject you.
    Yes it was quite late but I don't think they should give out all their places before the deadline.
    Perhaps they simply had people predicted AAAA so my AAAB wasn't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to do History/Politics at Van Mildert. I applied to Castle (like so many other people!) and got placed there.
    I stayed at Van Mildert last year, the atmnosphere seemed really nice even though it wasn't as pretty as some of the other places - I also thought it was n8ice to be a bit away from the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    Well I just checked and York still haven't made a decision regarding my application to study psychology... My application was processed on the 23rd September. Other than that, I really don't get it - my predicted grades are two A's and an A/B, and I didn't even do a fourth AS, let alone a fourth A-level! How come they've rejected a brilliant applicant like Peapod and haven't even made a decision about me yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Well I just checked and York still haven't made a decision regarding my application to study psychology... My application was processed on the 23rd September. Other than that, I really don't get it - my predicted grades are two A's and an A/B, and I didn't even do a fourth AS, let alone a fourth A-level! How come they've rejected a brilliant applicant like Peapod and haven't even made a decision about me yet?
    Perhaps your grades will be in better subjects, or they like your name more!!
    I was editor of the college magazine though, cough cough !

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps your grades will be in better subjects, or they like your name more!!
    I was editor of the college magazine though, cough cough !
    Well two of my subject are the same as your's (English and Psychology), and my third is a humanity as well (RS)! Soooooo weird...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Well two of my subject are the same as your's (English and Psychology), and my third is a humanity as well (RS)! Soooooo weird...
    My friends and I went on holiday to York in the summer...perhaps they heard of the mischief we were up to!

God luck with your app - let me know how it turns out!

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was quite late but I don't think they should give out all their places before the deadline.
    No, I don't think they should, either.

Doesn't mean they don't though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    No, I don't think they should, either.

Doesn't mean they don't though...
    If this were the case they'd have rejected Leaby too - obviously something about me they don't like, they haven't replied to my email!

ReputationRep:
    I've not applied for Psychology but one of my best friends has and she has offers from Southampton, Durham, Sheffield, Bath and Leeds but has not heard from Notts yet (her first choice).

Do you mean you have the required predicted grades or that you are a post A-level student?
    Don't worry about the others. A rejection from one doesn't mean you will get rejected from them all. I got rejected from Nottingham for Psychology even though I had the right predicted grades but I still got offers from my other 5 choices. And with you being post A-Level, you already have the grades so they won't be taking a risk on you - you should be more likely to get offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Don't worry about the others. A rejection from one doesn't mean you will get rejected from them all. I got rejected from Nottingham for Psychology even though I had the right predicted grades but I still got offers from my other 5 choices. And with you being post A-Level, you already have the grades so they won't be taking a risk on you - you should be more likely to get offers
    Thanks for the reassurance.
    It just seemed a very quick rejection and has made me more nervous as now Durham is my clear favourite!

These psychology threads need merging really...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.