Are 'life skills' more important than qualifications? Watch

This discussion is closed.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Many people are getting the best of the best grades, but are they value-less compared to genuine life skills?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Many people are getting the best of the best grades, but are they value-less compared to genuine life skills?
You need to have balance, its all very well having A's in everything but then having rich parents, living in posh house, always having posh cars etc. That is not real life.

However you need a good education these days in order to get a good job, living in a council estate claiming the dole all your life is no life either.

I always like to think I have a good balance between the two.
Sza
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
You need to have balance, its all very well having A's in everything but then having rich parents, living in posh house, always having posh cars etc. That is not real life.

However you need a good education these days in order to get a good job, living in a council estate claiming the dole all your life is no life either.

Is that not real life? I thought its a life which many of us strive for (i did, not anymore though)...
edufly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)

I agree with you 100%!

Us working class have everything to gain, whilst middle class have everything to lose.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sza)
Is that not real life? I thought its a life which many of us strive for (i did, not anymore though)...
Well I always tend to go on that if you have not experienced anything really bad financialy or otherwise then your life has been easy and you probably won't have delevoped the skills required when lifes nasties through stuff at you. I have been through them all believe me and its made me a better person as I result I think.
Percy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm surprised Jools hasn't added his well- documented opinions to this thread.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well lets say that one of my friend's mum is an accountant. She has got the "life skill" as it were, as she can do all the accountants job etc. But since she doesnt have a piece of paper with the qualifications on she gets paid a third of what they pay the other accountants. So in pay matters, it does matter.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (239)
61.6%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.64%
No- I want it (105)
27.06%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.7%

Watched Threads