Getting A Provisional License Without A Passport ...

Watch
This discussion is closed.
honeybuzz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am a British Citizen, of above the minimum age, can meet eyesight requirements, not prevented from driving for any reason & can provide addresses for the last 3 years.
But I don't have a passport.
And this is the most common form of ID used when applying for a provisional.
I mostly want the provisional license as a recognised form of ID tbh (I have one of the citizencard photocards but it's not accepted everywhere) but it also would be useful to have should I want to apply for a passport/ect.
I had a look through the process of applying online & it allows you to skip the passport number part... but I don't want to pay £50 then find I still can't get it ):
Has anyone got their provisional without a passport & what do I actually need to do this?
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't need to have a passport, instead you need to get your photograph countersigned by someone who knows you in a professional nature (e.g. Teacher, Doctor, Police-person, etc).

Just a note, while a passport helps you get a driving license, you can't use a driving license to help you get a passport afaik.
Waffles1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by honeybuzz)
I am a British Citizen, of above the minimum age, can meet eyesight requirements, not prevented from driving for any reason & can provide addresses for the last 3 years.
But I don't have a passport.
And this is the most common form of ID used when applying for a provisional.
I mostly want the provisional license as a recognised form of ID tbh (I have one of the citizencard photocards but it's not accepted everywhere) but it also would be useful to have should I want to apply for a passport/ect.
I had a look through the process of applying online & it allows you to skip the passport number part... but I don't want to pay £50 then find I still can't get it ):
Has anyone got their provisional without a passport & what do I actually need to do this?
Hi, I didn't have a passport when I got my provisional, I used my birth certificate and National Insurance card. There weren't any problems.

Even if you do send off for it and it doesn't get accepted, they will send the stuff back and not take the payment. Well that's what happened to my brother.
honeybuzz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
You can use a full driving license as part of the proof of identity when applying for a UK passport apparently. I had a look at what was required to get both, as either would be fine for the purpose I need proper ID for
Thanks though Waffles1. My manager counter-signed the photo/birth cert/NIcard when I got my other photocard, so I reckons I should be alright with this. I'll actually finish the online ap now
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
You don't need to have a passport, instead you need to get your photograph countersigned by someone who knows you in a professional nature (e.g. Teacher, Doctor, Police-person, etc).

Just a note, while a passport helps you get a driving license, you can't use a driving license to help you get a passport afaik.
Yep this sounds about right.
Kaylielouise1991
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can i vet a provisional with a birth cert as dont have a passport and lost my citizen card
Rohanbd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi i am from bangladesh,i want to apply for professional driving licence but i don't wanna send my passport because one of my friend has lost his passport,so can i apply for professional driving licence without passport
shaymarriott
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rohanbd)
Hi i am from bangladesh,i want to apply for professional driving licence but i don't wanna send my passport because one of my friend has lost his passport,so can i apply for professional driving licence without passport
What's a professional driving license?!
User2214591
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can you still do it on line without passport. Please
danih8395
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
is this still possible? I am in a situation I need a provisional license although my passport is due to run out this month, I do not want to provide my passport number if it is due to be un-valid. Anyone got any suggestions?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.06%
I'm not sure (59)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (648)
49.24%

Watched Threads