Why are so many people anti-monarchy?

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The royal family are one of the last symbols of british identity we have, you can have reason to disrespect individuals from it, but disrespecting the institution of the royal family is disrespecting britain

theyre not born into power, theyre just there for ceremonial purposes, would you prefer an elected president like in many other countries? President Blair or President Cameron perhaps? would you elect the president based on how handsome he is? or how tall he is if he's apolitical?

if you have any affection for britains culture and rich history you will respect the monarchy -kings and queens and british history are inseparable and a prerequisite of one another...

any thoughts?
Last edited by RK; 1 year ago
DH-Biker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Look, a penny!

Anyway, my dearest brethren; a fantastic tale!
Dude Where's My Username
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because there's no good reason to be pro-monarchy imo.
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because most of them do not realise that the monarchy bring in 500m in tourism alone?
green chica
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
because they don't do anything and they take up taxpayer money to be, as you call it, "a symbol". :beard:
DH-Biker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, in all seriousness, they don't exactly do much... Waste of time, and the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages.
I'm an Individualist Anarchist, though, so my points probably invalid, huh?
Witchita
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by green chica)
because they don't do anything and they take up taxpayer money to be, as you call it, "a symbol". :beard:
Myth, they directly generate far more than they take for the country. Indirectly even more than that so...
Luceria
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know. Don't mind them really. They are nice representatives of the country.
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
green chica
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Witchita)
Myth, they directly generate far more than they take for the country. Indirectly even more than that so...
how so?
Lozzo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe because when something happens like the recent engagement it gets shoved down our throats.. Yes i'm happy for them but really, they don't need to go on and on and on and on about it.
ily_em
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Apparently:

The royal family is very busy in the UK, their calender is usually scheduled up to 2 years in advance.

The Queens.

The Queen is Head of State of the UK. She Heads the Commonwealth of Nations, the armed forces, the Church of England and the royal household. She attends state events, opens parliament, hosts visiting heads of state, confers national honours, officially opens public buildings, supports charities and represents the nation in times of celebration and crisis.

Prince Philip is patron of many charities and responsible for the day to day running of the Queens own lands involving organisation and business acumen at a local community level.

Prince Charles supports the Queen in her roles in issuing honors, attending national events and acting as privy counsellor and counsellor of state. In a given year he will carry out over 600 official engagements within the UK and overseas. He is patron of over 380 organisations of all kinds of affiliations and charities many of which promote the interests and improvement of British society.

Princess Anne is president of Save the Children, and a member of the International Olympic Committee. (She represented Britain as an Olympic Athlete in equestrian). Her work takes her all over the world in support of developing countries and to charities within the UK in support of the Queen and as patron herself.

Prince Andrew works as Britain's special representative for international trade and investment. He helps improve opportunities for British companies wanting to expand their trade overseas.

Princes William and Harry are slowly expanding the roles they carry out as they grow up. Prince William is currently patron of a charity for the homeless and a conservation group in Africa. Prince Harry has previously taken a role promoting sport to children.

The British monarchy works very hard to promote the interests of Britain both at home and abroad. The pomp and circumstance brings in huge tourist dollars, not to mention the open houses that can be visited. When people think of visiting England the first stop would be the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. It is rather surprising just how much the royals contribute to Britain in all kinds of ways
Does that seem like nothing?
Witchita
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how so?
This is how it works, all the income that the royal family have go straight to the treasury who then give them some back to live off. They get about 40 million a year now but generate in excess of 500.
green chica
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ily_em)
Apparently:

Does that seem like nothing?
so, basically, they go around spreading propaganda. and partying in their reserved style.

their charity work is a good thing, but i really doubt it's solely because of their passion to help other people.
IQ Test
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because Parliament > Monarchs.

They used to be more useful, now they are just figureheads.
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so, basically, they go around spreading propaganda. and partying in their reserved style.

their charity work is a good thing, but i really doubt it's solely because of their passion to help other people.
But they don't sit around on their arses all day like people seem to think

How about this?

Specifically, they get different grants every year from the government’s money which they raise through taxes. One for travel, one for property maintenance, and and one for the "civil list". They are required to report out their expenditures and are reviewed by the National audit office. It is an arrangement that parliament and the sovereign agreed to in 1760. Parliament takes the proceeds from property that traditionally belongs to the monarch by right of conquest in 1066, and in exchange pays the monarch this money to maintain palaces and to run their staff (roughly 1200 people). The traditional property of the monarch is pretty extensive, but it includes Great Windsor park, and a lot of very expensive property in downtown London (like Regent Street and all the stores). The property is collectively called the "crown estate" and it turned over 265 million pounds last year. About 40 million pounds was turned over to the monarch to run everything.
————————–
The standard argument is that the monarchy costs 40 million pounds for a country of roughly 60 million people, so the cost per person is 66 pence. In reality a lot of that goes for palace upkeep which the nation would have to pay anyway even if they were museums. The rest would probably be spent on a president and his staff anyway. So if UK became a republic, the average taxpayer wouldn’t notice a change, and the UK would be represented by a president instead of a monarch. Very few people outside of Europe can tell you the name of a European president, whereas The Queen is one of the best known heads of state in the world. The economic impact on world diplomacy, and tourism, and the country’s charities of a famous monarch far exceed that of a president.
In addition to the money from the crown estate they bring in money from tourism; think about how well received in America etc the news of the royal wedding was. That's going to bring in £££
Jacktri
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Witchita)
lol what evidence do you have that the royal family generate any tourism money? did you ask every tourist would you come to England if the monachy did not exist? buckingham palace is one of many tourism attactions around london and would still exist whether we continued the monachy or not it's not like Americans and Japanese tourists will know we no longer have a monachy. The royal family are a drain on our economy and are a symbol of imperialistic Britain and social hierarchy both of which supposedly ended.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not that i'm an anti-monarchy, I just couldn't care less.

What's the name of Prince William's Bride? :curious:

The only royal I really admired was Princess Diana.
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont think a position such as head of state should be awarded because of nothing more than birthright.
Bardem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This thread invokes quite an interesting issue. When I think of British national identity I would rather think of things we have achieved and people we have fostered rather than a stagnant and out-dated hierarchy that implies British citizens, even in this modern world, are by birth, below a certain bloodline.

Our monarchy may hold benefits but I do not regard the royal family as a 'symbol of our national identity'. There are far more deserving symbols of British identity than an obsolete and regressive monarchy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.88%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
16.4%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (31)
16.4%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
14.81%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (51)
26.98%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.52%

Watched Threads