This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Who is going to watch Paxman and a bunch of students attack Tony Blair live on TV tonight? BBC 2 10:30.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Who is going to watch Paxman and a bunch of students attack Tony Blair live on TV tonight? BBC 2 10:30.
me - i saw the advert with the irate medical student - he he
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes please if that is what is going to happen - rather than students cowering in front of the evil Blair
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I like the way Paxman interviews, but I find him to be a bit arrogant, particularly when presenting 'University Challenge'
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammyd)
I like the way Paxman interviews, but I find him to be a bit arrogant, particularly when presenting 'University Challenge'
He is great but yes he is an arrogant sod, my mum hates him. My mum also hates Tony Wilson for being an arrogant sod, he nearly ran me off too, but I actually quite like Wilson. Paxman though I think his arrogance is a bit deeper. Wilson kind of does it just to take the piss out of himself.

But out of all the people you could choose to interview Blair Paxman has to be best.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
He is great but yes he is an arrogant sod, my mum hates him. My mum also hates Tony Wilson for being an arrogant sod, he nearly ran me off too, but I actually quite like Wilson. Paxman though I think his arrogance is a bit deeper. Wilson kind of does it just to take the piss out of himself.

But out of all the people you could choose to interview Blair Paxman has to be best.
Agreed - who could forget the Howard interview when he asked Mickey the same question 4 times without direct reply
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
tell me about it. arrogant doesn't even begin to describe paxman. ah well, i will just have to grin and bear it
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
he he. pippy longstocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice brown jumper!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
paxman trying to score petty points as per usual.
blair convincing except over the 50% intake level.
audience like a broken record and not a good one at that...

audience: im going to whinge because i want something from nothing.
tony: i appreciate your point, but it is far more generous than at present and there is no burden until u begin to earn. the other option is public taxation, ive chosen top up fees..
tony: are you deaf?
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I loved the angry medical student! Go irate medical student!! :cool:
AT82
Rep:
?
Blair got his facts wrong anyway, the 50% target is not for university, its for any higher education including foundation degrees, most of these will be taught in FE colleges. In ten years time there will still only be 35% of under 30 year olds in university because they will be no new places for undergraduate degree courses (this does not include foundation degrees as they are not proper degrees, they are just a renamed HND)

As for the finanicial help Blair failed to mention that very few people that go to uni actually come from backgrounds where their parents earn less than £15,000 a year.

I still don't agree with the top up fees but I am not against charging students more as universities need more money. I just think they are going the completly wrong way about it. Also tieing into the 50% target thing I think the Aim Higher campaign should be scrapped.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)

tony: i appreciate your point, but it is far more generous than at present and there is no burden until u begin to earn. the other option is public taxation, ive chosen top up fees..
But notice how decidedly dodgy Blair was throughout - anyway if he wants to expand access then in a few years time we will have so many uni grads that there will be a saturation in the demand for employment in all professions - we already have too many unemployed psychologists - what will be next - lower retirement age to make sure this lot have employment when they come out of uni in their droves
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)

well it was good, thats the first time i have ever felt any respect for blair (except for the 50%) and the medical student, im sorry, but you benefit, you pay.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Blair got his facts wrong anyway, the 50% target is not for university, its for any higher education including foundation degrees, most of these will be taught in FE colleges. In ten years time there will still only be 35% of under 30 year olds in university because they will be no new places for undergraduate degree courses (this does not include foundation degrees as they are not proper degrees, they are just a renamed HND)

As for the finanicial help Blair failed to mention that very few people that go to uni actually come from backgrounds where their parents earn less than £15,000 a year.

I still don't agree with the top up fees but I am not against charging students more as universities need more money. I just think they are going the completly wrong way about it. Also tieing into the 50% target thing I think the Aim Higher campaign should be scrapped.
actually he said bottom 30%
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Thing is why should his argument stand to reason - that it is unfair that the dustman has to pay for uni students through tax - which he later admits is going to remain the case - the fact is why should people who dont use libraries have to pay for their maintenance - what about those who use private healthcare and not the NHS. Also why should students be made to endure higher rates of tax (41%) which is more than high-income earners. The rich should pay for students more because invariably they do use university education - why charge students the extra needed fees when they are not in a position to pay?
Fry
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
why charge students the extra needed fees when they are not in a position to pay?
Because they are benefiting and will be in a position to pay once graduated..?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you pro-tuition fee lobby people seem to neglect the position of the middle class student which comprise the vast majority of the uni student population. Why forsake their position to let more working-class students in to the uni system
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Thing is why should his argument stand to reason - that it is unfair that the dustman has to pay for uni students through tax - which he later admits is going to remain the case - the fact is why should people who dont use libraries have to pay for their maintenance - what about those who use private healthcare and not the NHS. Also why should students be made to endure higher rates of tax (41%) which is more than high-income earners. The rich should pay for students more because invariably they do use university education - why charge students the extra needed fees when they are not in a position to pay?
hehe, he would wop you on that argument, the things that wernt mentioned were that the taxpayer will fund EU students to the same degree as internal students and they will also be able to apply for bursaries (i think the second). And graduates pay more tax when they come out the other end as they go on to high earning jobs.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
well it was good, thats the first time i have ever felt any respect for blair (except for the 50%) and the medical student, im sorry, but you benefit, you pay.
ye, i thought she was going to raise a legitimate concern of the middle classes, but then she started almost crying about having to pay bills to keep her house warm ..and how she would be no better off than a porter. i wonder how many porters would own a 4 bedroomed detached house.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i actually agreed with pippy longstocking
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads