Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have been pooled for English (haven't heard a thing so assuming no - will they write do you think?)

Anyway this is not about that! I was hoping that Cambridge people could help me choose a college. You see I have a problem: I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure any more.

I am from a public school, have averagely good grades, (hopefully three As at the end of this year) and very dedicated when it comes to Eng. Lit. During my Gap Year I'll probably do something like an Open University English course - will Cambridge like that or does it look stupid?? It wouldn't be something I forced myself to do by the way - I would work during the day and think I'd enjoy it.

So anyway which college(s) would people recommend. I applied to Christ's and was pooled. Obviously I would love to be at a nicer college in the centre but above all I want to get in. Is there really more chance of getting places at certain colleges?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    I know a medicine applicant who reapplied with an open app., got put it Girton, and got in. Might be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I know a medicine applicant who reapplied with an open app., got put it Girton, and got in. Might be worth it.
    Yeah maybe. How do they work? Do all the colleges look at you? I see it almost as diving straight into the pool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnacilppa)
    Yeah maybe. How do they work? Do all the colleges look at you? I see it almost as diving straight into the pool?
    You're assigned a college with a comparatively low number of applicants, and from then you are treated as though you had applied to that college.

ReputationRep:
    A teacher told me a theory of his, which was, you should not apply to a less popular college with the idea that you would be more likely to get in, because they tend to distrust their own candidates and look to the pool for people who have applied to more competitive colleges.

BUT this was just some random school teacher - not sure whether he had any basis for this theory. On the other hand, I have read an actual Cambridge admissions tutor claiming that the tendency was to want to fill up all places with people that had applied to your college, wherever possible, to avoid the hassle of having to fish around in the pool. And, this has been independently confirmed by an article that appeared in the Independent a few years back, about pool selection at Cambridge - basically, they'd often rather take people who apply to them rather than fish, it's less trouble.

Based on this, I would consider applying to a less selective college than Christ's, hope they'd prefer to take me and get the pain over with rather than hang about fishing in the pool. As for the open app ... saves you working out which the least competitive college is, but only works if you really don't care where you end up. Of course, the whole pool system means you might end up somewhere besides where you apply anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Good points about making an open application, but one thing I''d be worried about is that a college in a particular year might be undersubscribed for a certain subject, but overall still very popular. For example, the profiles on 'oxbridge info' include one person who made an engineering open app and got allocated Clare. So basically you could find that although competition in your subject is less intense, it could still be very competitive across the board in the college and you could therefore be at serious risk of being losing out to someone applying for a different subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Good points about making an open application, but one thing I''d be worried about is that a college in a particular year might be undersubscribed for a certain subject, but overall still very popular. For example, the profiles on 'oxbridge info' include one person who made an engineering open app and got allocated Clare. So basically you could find that although competition in your subject is less intense, it could still be very competitive across the board in the college and you could therefore be at serious risk of being losing out to someone applying for a different subject.
    Canny. Supports the idea you should make your own choice, pick a college that's not only slightly unpopular for your subject, but slightly unpopular for a number of subjects - so they won't reject your little history bod, or whatever it is, in order to scoop up more of the 507 brilliant natscis that applied that year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have been pooled for English (haven't heard a thing so assuming no - will they write do you think?)

Anyway this is not about that! I was hoping that Cambridge people could help me choose a college. You see I have a problem: I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure any more.

I am from a public school, have averagely good grades, (hopefully three As at the end of this year) and very dedicated when it comes to Eng. Lit. During my Gap Year I'll probably do something like an Open University English course - will Cambridge like that or does it look stupid?? It wouldn't be something I forced myself to do by the way - I would work during the day and think I'd enjoy it.

So anyway which college(s) would people recommend. I applied to Christ's and was pooled. Obviously I would love to be at a nicer college in the centre but above all I want to get in. Is there really more chance of getting places at certain colleges?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
    IM IN OXFORD, i GAINED MY PLACE NOT ONLY THROUGH MY GRADES BUT BECAUSE OF WHO I AM. DON'T DISCREDIT ANY OXFORD TUTOR...IF YOU ARE REJECTED BY ONE RESPECT THEIR JUDGEMENT..YOU DON'T CUT THE GRADE, FACE IT.... DO YOU NOT THINK OXFORD TUTORS ARE CAPABLE OF SEPARATING THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF? BELIEVE ME THEY ARE. IF YOU ARE REJECTED YOU ARE THE CHAFF... DON'T BOTHER GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS OF WINNOWING AGAIN!
    THANKYOU...WHY NOT GIVE OTHERS THE CHANCE THEY DESERVE..IN MY OPINION YOU ONLY DESERVE ONE CHANCE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicola111)
    IM IN OXFORD, i GAINED MY PLACE NOT ONLY THROUGH MY GRADES BUT BECAUSE OF WHO I AM. DON'T DISCREDIT ANY OXFORD TUTOR...IF YOU ARE REJECTED BY ONE RESPECT THEIR JUDGEMENT..YOU DON'T CUT THE GRADE, FACE IT.... DO YOU NOT THINK OXFORD TUTORS ARE CAPABLE OF SEPARATING THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF? BELIEVE ME THEY ARE. IF YOU ARE REJECTED YOU ARE THE CHAFF... DON'T BOTHER GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS OF WINNOWING AGAIN!
    THANKYOU...WHY NOT GIVE OTHERS THE CHANCE THEY DESERVE..IN MY OPINION YOU ONLY DESERVE ONE CHANCE
    Yeah. OK.

1. You've posted this twice that I've read, possibly more.
    2. Don't type in capitals, it's rude.
    3. If someone is pooled, that means they're of the standard to get into Oxbridge. Many people reapply and get in.
    4. How is reapplying denying other people a chance??
    5. Learn to be less arrogant. People like you help to give the other Oxbridge students a bad name.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Well said, MadNatSci!

ReputationRep:
    (singing): " Go MadNatsci, Go MadNatsci! "

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Yeah. OK.

1. You've posted this twice that I've read, possibly more.
    2. Don't type in capitals, it's rude.
    3. If someone is pooled, that means they're of the standard to get into Oxbridge. Many people reapply and get in.
    4. How is reapplying denying other people a chance??
    5. Learn to be less arrogant. People like you help to give the other Oxbridge students a bad name.

Thank you.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Is that how it works? I always thought each college had a certain number of spaces to fill for each subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cacambo)
    Is that how it works? I always thought each college had a certain number of spaces to fill for each subject.
    There are no subject quotas except for medicine (and vet med?), so a college might be prepared to admit 8-10 historians and 1-3 theologians, so there might be some intense bartering going on between subject tutors who all want their students to get in instead of those applying for another subject. Hence the danger of losing out to someone applying for another subject.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.