How are we finding sixth form? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just thought I'd get learning back on the agenda seeing as we badly need to:

I wanted to know about how people are finding sixth-form and why. Because some find it's the dog's bits, the bee's knees, the best years of their life. Others find it absolutely boring and dead and can't wait to leave.

I personally am of the latter. My sixth form has no activities to speak of. No TV, pool table, games, music, just chairs. Because of this few of my mates are in for anything besides lessons. The only fun I seem to have is when we go to our library (where we can joke and make noise to our hearts' content) before going out on the piss. I really can't wait for university. Though I have strengthened and made great friendships. Shame I'm going to a different city to any of them... oh well I'm bound to have fun!

Now your turn.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went and did an extra year of sixth form in order to give me time to decide what I wanted to do, unfortunatley I decided the day I got there.
The lessons are dull, I know what they are talking about and want more but they are teaching at a C grade standard because of thick weirdos in the class (with wooden legs, 2 people in my classes have wooden legs)
I don't bother going in for days on end, nothing makes me do my homework and when I do I get A's.
It's a waste of time and I can't wait till May is here and I can do the friggin exams and get them over with.
Having said that I am going on a French exchange in April, so that's something to look forward to.
Roll on University indeed
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Just thought I'd get learning back on the agenda seeing as we badly need to:

I wanted to know about how people are finding sixth-form and why. Because some find it's the dog's bits, the bee's knees, the best years of their life. Others find it absolutely boring and dead and can't wait to leave.

I personally am of the latter. My sixth form has no activities to speak of. No TV, pool table, games, music, just chairs. Because of this few of my mates are in for anything besides lessons. The only fun I seem to have is when we go to our library (where we can joke and make noise to our hearts' content) before going out on the piss. I really can't wait for university. Though I have strengthened and made great friendships. Shame I'm going to a different city to any of them... oh well I'm bound to have fun!

Now your turn.
Sixth Form - rubbish
People at school - mostly rubbish
Friends - The best ones are the ones i have in snooker, and i hope to make more at uni rather than the boring ones i have to contend with and entertain now. (i have to do something)
University - Roll on!!
Lbar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm special, im not at sixth form. My old one I went to for a few months was alright. Too many scallies though but they kept to their own building. We stayed in our building and our pub which sold a quality pint of guiness!
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my sixth form's ace. we don't have pool tables or anything like that either - we're aren't even allowed to play cards! we just make out own games - cricket for example with the empty water bottles from the water machine and screwed up foil balls. i think you have to make it fun yourself. fair enough if you hate all the people around you - then i doubt there's much you can do. but seriously try and have as much fun as you can. i'm having a gr8 time
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If I had the confidence to suceed at the time I would have gone to a better sixth form college and done more A levels. That is my only regret, I did make a very good friend at my sixth form college though and I did gain a lot of confidence there. I was the best person (in terms of ability) on the courses I was doing, I was student rep and I even managed to get one member of staff the sack
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I really like sixth form, especially get compared to high school. I get to do stuff like the student's union and the college magazine and unlike at high school, I actually care what my current group of friends will be doing in 10 years time.

Still though, I can't wait to get out into the big bad world. Or University at least...
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Well the people are OK, and my friends are terrific, I'll miss them. But I'll be glad to get a move on in life, it's all so lax. We do play football when enough people have free lessons and someone has a ball, but if no ball then we play cards. Usually Cheat, Die and Blackjack. Cheat is always good for a laugh, Die is hugely skill so very stimulating, and Blackjack is so basic we don't bother. You know times are hard when the highlight of your day is winning a round of Cheat...
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Been there, done that, brought the certificates. Best feeling in the world is when you have a job and you're earning good money. You get to watch the figures increase.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well i learnt black jack and thats about all when I was in sixth form. We had no incentive to work apart from the chocolate machine. the place was a dump the sixth form library had 4 books in it. We used to play cards and then if the cards ran into the lesson we finished the card game. Couldnt wait to leave it definitely wasnt the best time in my life, uni was loads better.
a_musical_guy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Well i learnt black jack and thats about all when I was in sixth form. We had no incentive to work apart from the chocolate machine. the place was a dump the sixth form library had 4 books in it. We used to play cards and then if the cards ran into the lesson we finished the card game. Couldnt wait to leave it definitely wasnt the best time in my life, uni was loads better.
My Sixth Form was pretty much the same, except it was a lot like Year 11. Teachers still did the register, they still sent people out the room for chewing gum, they shouted at people, gave out incident reports and special stars (for good work).. it was hell. I couldn't wait to leave.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
bah stupid sixth form.

Internet is turned off in the main computer room. (my mate used up 2 thirds of the school server with his graphic files lol kyuuki!!) They follow up every lesson u miss (miss too many and you have to pay for your exams) the common room is a piss trench and its full of ***** that look like blazing squad members.

head of sixth form is a high pitched short squirt. my lessons are good tho, i prob have some of the best teachers for my lessons.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i go to a 6th for in a secondary skool. i have hardly any friends coz all the peeps in the skool and 6th form r peeps who r *****es, fashion followers and think they r beta than everyone else.

me sbein the sad ass i am is comin back for another year after 13. then work. wooo my life is good(!)
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
I wanted to know about how people are finding sixth-form and why.
The sixth-form has been the best couple of years in my life. We, especially the prefects, are a good community. You get priveliges, respect and the lower years get out of your way in corridors. Although we don't have the facilities we'd like (no common room!) it's good enough.

However, ever since I've stayed at universities, I have realised what I'm missing. I've had a bite of the golden fruit that is university, and now I can't wait to devour it all! You know what I mean?

J.
Amber_Nectar
Report 16 years ago
My first year was great. I did almost no work and still got decent results. Now I want to cry every time I see that damn Chemistry file. I'd like to think it gets better as I go on. It doesn't.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
6th form in my school isn't too bad actually...the teachers give you loads more freedom around the school....and free periods mean i never really get bogged down in work...

Also....it seems that i'm being set less homework than in earlier years...??? Odd....

G
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
frankly, not the best time of my life !!!
Maybe the worst ................................ ........

ur classmates are always trying to pull u down..never expected this here !!!

Is it the same for everyone, or am i just going thru a bad patch ???
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I totally hate sixth form. The induction days were good, really fun, and i met a few new people. But then it turned out that those people chose a different college so i was stuck with the same old people who i have nothing in common with. I sit around every day bored out of my brain. I dread free periods. There is nothing to do. Everyone sits around playing cards *yawn*. Half my teachers are rubbish, they don't have any enthusiasm or interest in teaching us. Even my favourite subject is boring me. I get too much homework, half of which is pointless in my opinion. The give us test after test after test which just annoys me. I cannot wait until June 2005 when i can finally escape the dump. I dream of uni every day...
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sixth form, is just GCSE but more facts to learn and repeat.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Sixth form, is just GCSE but more facts to learn and repeat.
Not true...depends on which subject you do....for example chem GCSE i found really easy and required little or no work.....got an A*...

But chem AS was completely different....though the methods of teaching were the same...i found that just being told facts to remember wasn't enough cos i needed to understand all the new concepts introduced to do well....hence the C in ASlevel.

G
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (214)
67.94%
No (101)
32.06%

Watched Threads