The Student Room Group
Reply 1
emmz
hi ive been recording cds over last few months off kazza then puting them onto a re writable disc and theyve played well on hi fi's. however the last 2 ive recorded will not play on anything but my comp. any1 know why?

Erm so they play fine on the CD? Have you made the CDs in the same way you always do? Are you sure the session is being closed? Also are using the same CDs (i.e the actual media)? Some CD player transports don't like certain CDs.
emmz
hi ive been recording cds over last few months off kazza then puting them onto a re writable disc and theyve played well on hi fi's. however the last 2 ive recorded will not play on anything but my comp. any1 know why?

:eek: Stealing music from those poor artists! You should be ashamed of yourself. Wait 'till that RIAA hear about this.

Anyway, try reducing the writing speed to about half of what you currently write. It gives the laser more time to 'burn' the bits onto the CD.
I do know the answer to this, because I used to have the same problem. I think it's got something to do with the wotsit not being selected on the wotsit. If you right-click the background and select wotsit, click wotsit and select Read-Only, I think it will solve the problem. I'm not 100% sure though.
Reply 4
emmz

maybe you used re-writable rather than just writable for the last 2?
Reply 5
amazingtrade
Erm so they play fine on the CD? Have you made the CDs in the same way you always do? Are you sure the session is being closed? Also are using the same CDs (i.e the actual media)? Some CD player transports don't like certain CDs.

they play fine on the d drive of the comp but wont play on any other cd players but they used to. i am recording them the same way as far as i know
Reply 6
emmz
they play fine on the d drive of the comp but wont play on any other cd players but they used to. i am recording them the same way as far as i know

When you click on the D drive what happens? I am wondering if these tracks have been saved as an MP3 or WAV file rather than standard 44.4khz CD player standard.
There will be a physical problem with the disc interaction. That is the laser and phototransistor in your CD player will be inferior to that in your comp. So to get around this problem you need to use better CDs or a slower write speed because this will give a more promonent mark on the CD surface.
Reply 8
It depends on the quality of the CD player, my CD players laser costs more itself than an entire CD-ROM drive. If you're talking about mini systems though then yes a CD-ROMs transport will be better. HIFI is not mini systems though they are strictly lowfi, even £500 ones have never impressed me.
Reply 9
amazingtrade
It depends on the quality of the CD player, my CD players laser costs more itself than an entire CD-ROM drive. If you're talking about mini systems though then yes a CD-ROMs transport will be better. HIFI is not mini systems though they are strictly lowfi, even £500 ones have never impressed me.

ive tried the cd on evrythin including the big 1 wiv lights on downstairs and all the mini and medium hi fis. but anyway the first lot played on them so y wont the last 2 - guess ll neva know :frown:
Reply 10
emmz

You might have somehow told the computer to write the CD as data. That way, only your PC and other PCs will only recognise it, and not players such as hi fi and discman. Try using a different program to record it...one that u can differenciate data and media clearly. Hope it helps...
Reply 11
Try finalising the cds.
Either:
Writing speed
your cd size - I know i acctually had some to big for my portable cd player.
speed of data written-some files are different. (this is in kb's)Iif none of these work then tell me and I'll try my best but I've noticed my cd's when hot expand and just grind in my player thats probalary the reason for cd drives being larger than the actual cd. When i say cd size they are different in dimensions

Latest

Trending

Trending