Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a veggie but mainly because I dont like not knowing the way that animals are kept and killed, but I appreciate that they are bred to be killed so if everyone was a vegan you would have to go to a zoo to see a cow.
    It really hasnt made any difference to my health I eat loads of quorn and stuff and tofu it isnt too bad. i would like to be vegan because I dont like the way that dairy cows are treated but i cant give up dairy milk and ready brek I am trying to cut down on milk and switch to rice milk.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian, have been for 7 years. I don't miss meat, apart from fish, which I have very strong urges for alot of the time. I'm healthy protein wise, that is, I'm 6ft5 3. I do feel fatigued alot of the time, however I don't think that's my diet. I wouldn't recommend it because I often change my mind but cannot eat my meat because my body rejects it in quite a vulgar display of stomach wretching, and sheer disgust. That is to say, once you leave meat out of your diet for long enough, you can't easily eat it again, even if you think you should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    Hahaha. 2.5 miles. Little wussy. When I go running I do at least 15km but mostly I cycle which I do at least 100 miles a week.

Anyway the reason I say is because if you ate proper foods you would be a much better performer. Maybe then you might become half decent at running.
    Nah - i could do more but why should i - i am in gr8 shape and i dont need to work off the extra fat meat would put on - i have zero percent body fat because of my diet and my intense work-outs in the gym - these 2.5 miles are a warm up to get the blood flowing

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with killing animals for your own survival. Its thanks to the fact that your ancestors have killed loads of animals that you are hear. Get real hippies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I'm a veggie but mainly because I dont like not knowing the way that animals are kept and killed, but I appreciate that they are bred to be killed so if everyone was a vegan you would have to go to a zoo to see a cow.
    It really hasnt made any difference to my health I eat loads of quorn and stuff and tofu it isnt too bad. i would like to be vegan because I dont like the way that dairy cows are treated but i cant give up dairy milk and ready brek I am trying to cut down on milk and switch to rice milk.
    soya can be alright too

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with killing animals for your own survival. Its thanks to the fact that your ancestors have killed loads of animals that you are hear. Get real hippies.

Our own survival? Veggies survive pretty well. We don't have to eat meat as humans, why should we? There's alot of things we're designed to do as animals, but don't as civilised members of society. For a start I highly doubt you spear down a buffalo everytime you fancy a burger.

N.b. Please don't accuse me of being a pushy self riteous ****, it's your right to eat meat, I'm not arguing you shouldn't, but the "we're designed to eat meat argument" seems flawed to me.

ReputationRep:
    Listen everyone - we do not need meat for survival - in places like India and even in places like GB nowadays there are a hell of a lot of veggies who are living perfectly normal lives (like me, viviki et al). Forget meat - it isnt worth the bloodshed or the risk of diseases

ReputationRep:
    I really dont like soya milk, my friend who is a vegan told me its all about finding a brand that you like but I dont like the ones in holland and barrat or in tesco and they are the only places that I shop. Maybe I'll get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    We don't have to, why should we? There's alot of things we're designed to do as animals, but don't as civilised members of society. For a start I highly doubt you spear down a buffalo everytime you fancy a burger.
    N.b. Please don't accuse me of being a pushy self riteous ****, it's your right to eat meat, I'm not arguing you shouldn't, but the "we're designed to eat meat argument" seems flawed to me.
    Hey educating the masses doesnt make u a self-riteous **** Fishpaste

ReputationRep:
    I really dont like soya milk, my friend who is a vegan told me its all about finding a brand that you like but I dont like the ones in holland and barrat or in tesco and they are the only places that I shop. Maybe I'll get used to it.
    i could recommend 'Alpro' - there is a noticeable difference in taste - it is something which u think u should not like but yet it is very compelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    Nah - i could do more but why should i - i am in gr8 shape and i dont need to work off the extra fat meat would put on - i have zero percent body fat because of my diet and my intense work-outs in the gym - these 2.5 miles are a warm up to get the blood flowing
    That extra energy is used to allow you push harder and go further thus making your heart muscles amongst others bigger and stronger. This in turn gives you much better concentration for thinking.

There is no way I could cycle at near racing speeds for an hour a day without eating meats, cheese and sweet foods like chocolate etc. There is also no way I could have such developed muscles without all the protein I get from my meat.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. Most of the Quorn crap that you eat is entirely artificially cultured - it's just not natural. Humans don't have the digestive system to pursue exclusively herbivorous lifestyles. I don't take to that whole 'rearing animals and then killing them for food is wrong' ethic, either - no it isn't! In my opinion, veggies have an extremely anthropocentric notion of what livestock 'like' - they don't hope for a better life on open pastures; just to have a reliable foodsource.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    That extra energy is used to allow you push harder and go further thus making your heart muscles amongst others bigger and stronger. This in turn gives you much better concentration for thinking.

There is no way I could cycle at near racing speeds for an hour a day without eating meats, cheese and sweet foods like chocolate etc. There is also no way I could have such developed muscles without all the protein I get from my meat.
    well i am quite well-muscled myself and i get the protein i need from lentils, beans, nuts etc. I can do anything a meat-eater can and maybe even better - veg also increases ur labbido and stamina in associated situations so i am performing at a consistently high level in all departments

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty of people who work out and have great bodies who are vegan. One of the guys at my old work was a vegan but he was really into his sports, he worked out and cycled miles every day. There are plenty of veggie sportsstars around including olympic champions so it obviously didnt hurt them much.
    http://www.famousveggie.com/peoplenew.cfm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Precisely. Most of the Quorn crap that you eat is entirely artificially cultured - it's just not natural. Humans don't have the digestive system to pursue exclusively herbivorous lifestyles. I don't take to that whole 'rearing animals and then killing them for food is wrong' ethic, either - no it isn't! In my opinion, veggies have an extremely anthropocentric notion of what livestock 'like' - they don't hope for a better life on open pastures; just to have a reliable foodsource.

Ben
    Ben u have a very simplistic view which is just as anthropocentric in assuming u know that animals dont have feelings or preferences. The fact that u think the human organism cannot pursue purely herbivorous lifestyles precludes the existence of vegans all around the world who have lived perfectly healthy lives (and may i add longer and better quality lives too)

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty of people who work out and have great bodies who are vegan. One of the guys at my old work was a vegan but he was really into his sports, he worked out and cycled miles every day. There are plenty of veggie sportsstars around including olympic champions so it obviously didnt hurt them much.
    precisely

ReputationRep:
    nice site by the way viviki

ReputationRep:
    I just found it. I normally use the peta site for their recipes and they a section on veggie sportspeople somewhere but i couldnt find it.
    hOW can you not want to be a veggie with all this choice.
    http://www.petaeats.com/MealSearch.a...l&FoodType=All

ReputationRep:
    I just found it. I normally use the peta site for their recipes and they a section on veggie sportspeople somewhere but i couldnt find it.
    hOW can you not want to be a veggie with all this choice.
    http://www.petaeats.com/MealSearch.a...l&FoodType=All
    lol - i totally agree - look at all that tasty food - mmmm - i want breakfast now - i'll help myself to a banana right now

ReputationRep:
    I just gave up being a veggie, because I wasnt eating properly, it messed my guts up a bit.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2004
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.