The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I gave up the first time I went veggie might have had something todo with being drunk. I wasnt eating nutritiously I wasnt getting the right balace of food and it was making me ill but that was my bad nutrition not veggie food.
If you want to check you are getting the right balance register on this site
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk
I use it not to lose weight but to keep an eye on my nutrition. It has all quorn, tofu etc products saved onto its database and you can tell how the food that you eat measures up to the food that you should be eating. the site has a free three day trial.
Reply 41
Kurdt Morello
Ben u have a very simplistic view which is just as anthropocentric in assuming u know that animals dont have feelings or preferences. The fact that u think the human organism cannot pursue purely herbivorous lifestyles precludes the existence of vegans all around the world who have lived perfectly healthy lives (and may i add longer and better quality lives too)

The distinction between herbivore and carnivore becomes a bit blurred in these instances. Take quorn, for example - it is neither a plant, nor an animal. So what are you if you eat it - a quornivore? These people do not solely live off plants - it's just not possible. Similarly, I don't only eat meat (which is probably equally implausible, dietwise) - but I am not asserting that eating plants is wrong. True herbivores posses many internal features which we simply do not have! Asserting that animals posses human emotions, hence interpreting reality exclusively in terms of human values and experience, is anthropocentric. Contesting that assumption is not. Surely it is a conbination of human emotions (pity, sympathy, guilt - whatever) which drives your opinions. Why then, do you never see such displays from animals (aside from when a cat knows it's done something wrong!)?

Ben
Reply 42
Hehe I like that I'm a quornivore
Reply 43
I suppose if ppl r objective to killing animals, and they turn vege then all them little crawly creature things on the plants r being killed. lol there still animals. so really no 1 can win!
Reply 44
Firstly, I have no problem with vegetarians or vegans whatsoever and respect their choice. However, the only time I ever see it as a problem is when parents bring young children up completely on a vegetarian diet. (BTW, can vegans breast feed?) I've seen quite a few people who have had stunted growth because they have not had a proper diet and argue that, though you can have a good balanced diet if you are a vegetarian (and vegan), it is harder to do so. Also, don't the children have a right to choose whether they want to be a vegetarian/vegan or not, just as those who have been brought up in a non-vegetarian household should have the right to choose to become vegetarian/vegan or not?
Reply 45
Kurdt Morello
Listen everyone - we do not need meat for survival - in places like India and even in places like GB nowadays there are a hell of a lot of veggies who are living perfectly normal lives (like me, viviki et al). Forget meat - it isnt worth the bloodshed or the risk of diseases

yeah i agree with kurt. my family and ancestors have always been vegetarian and i am perfectly fine. when there are so many ppl in the world living on a vegetarian diet how can anyone possibly say that you need meat to survive?

my biology teacher had a economical and scientific reason for being vegetarian. if you remember the energy food pyramid from biology, you get more energy from eating fruits and vegetables and crops than you do from eating meat. also it is more economical to eat crops than to feed them to animals which you then eat.

one of my bro's friends went to a farm and played with this lamb all day, it was his friend and then they ate it for dinner - thats disgusting.

however, i think there would be a lot more veggies if ppl had to catch and kill their own animals - most ppl dont make the connection when they eat meat.

btw many famous and intelligent ppl in the world were vegetarian so we are not just a 'bunch of hippies'!!
Reply 46
i would be veggie if i didnt love bacon sandwiches...hmmmm
Reply 47
Reply 48
Falguni
one of my bro's friends went to a farm and played with this lamb all day, it was his friend and then they ate it for dinner - thats disgusting.

That reminds me of something my parents saw on some interview show from the USA.

The interviewer was talking to this female wrestler. This wrestler was showing the interviewer how she practised. They went into her back garden where she kept pigs. She then let one of the pigs out and chased it around the garden until she caught it, at which point she killed the pig fairly brutally.
"So you eat the pig after killing it?" asked the interviewer.
"No, I'm a vegetarian," replied the wrestler.

Oh and btw, you can catch BSE through blood transfussions and even through drinking water (I remember a story of someone who had been vegetarian for 20 years who caught BSE), though I do agree that the chance of catching BSE is reduced.

Just because some people choose to eat meat doesn't mean we need "educating". I make an informed choice to eat meat, just as you make an informed choice not to.

Oh and one last thing, you say that all those beans and lentils give you increased "labido and stamina" but donesn't it give you wind as well? :tongue:

Good luck to you anyway.
Reply 49
Before anyone asks, yes i did copy this from some website, i dont have that much time on my hands!

Answers to Your Questions
(Answers to some of the questions most often asked about vegetarianism.)

1) CAN YOU REALLY GET ENOUGH PROTEIN? WHAT DO YOU SUBSTITUTE FOR MEAT?

Actually, it is meat that is the substitute for more natural foods, and its place in the diet can be taken easily by these vegetarian foods.

Remember, the vegetable kingdom is the real source of ALL protein. Vegetarians simply eat it "direct" instead of getting it second-hand from the vegetarian animals.

Concentrated sources include most nuts and seeds (about 15-30%, of mainly complete-balance protein); legumes (peas, beans, lentils, about 6-8% protein in the fresh state); leafy greens also contribute an excellent quality protein in smaller but significant amounts. And many vegetarians also use dairy products and/or eggs for this purpose.

Whole grains also furnish protein (averaging 10-12%), and nutritional yeast runs about 50%.

2) ISN'T IT VERY DIFFICULT TO PLAN VEGETARIAN MEALS? AND IT MUST BE BORING, JUST EATING SPINACH AND CELERY?

...Plus a hundred other types of vegetables, plus the delicious seeds and nuts, plus all the luscious ripe fruits, plus the whole grains, plus (for most vegetarians) the variety of daiy products, etc., plus all the innumerable delightful recipes that can be prepared form such tempting natural ingrediants! "Vegetarian" does not mean "straw-eater", nor confine one to vegatables alone. There is a great

assortment of vegetarian recipe books available, and one can become quite a gourmet if one wishes.

It is true that many vegetarians prefer a much simpler dietary regimen, but this is out of choice, not lack of imagination or possibilities.

Vegetarian meals can be nutritious and well-balanced while still being attractive, tasty, and yet simple and easy to prepare. A nice dividend is the liberation from the drudgery of cleaning up greasy pans and sticky ovens. Even when it is cooked, vegetarian food usually requires far less preparation time, and it is much easier to clean up afterwards.

3) WON'T THE ANIMALS OVERRUN THE EARTH, IF WE DO NOT CONTINUE TO KILL AND EAT THEM?

It is difficult to imagine how, considering that virtually all the meat we use from land animals and birds, comes from pitiful domesticated or even caged creatures whom we have specifically bred for this purpose.

At a time when we are exterminating so many species from the face of the earth through greed and rapacious ecological ignorance and manipulation, it should be clear to all by now that it is WE — not the animals — who are in danger of overrunning the earth.

4) CAN I RAISE MY CHILDREN AS VEGETARIANS?

Yes, if you want them to have the best chance of enjoying good health and long, vigorous life.

Comparative medical and dental studies prove that children raised as vegetarians, on the type of rccomlnended natural whole-foods, have incomparably better teeth, and much greater freedom from so-called children's diseases as well as colds, allergies, and problems of degenerative diseases.

5) ISN'T IT A HYPOCRISY FOR A VEGETARIAN TO WEAR FURS, OR LEATHER SHOES?

It would depend upon one's motives for being a vegetarian. If based upon healthful reasons, then it would not necessarily be so inconsistent to wear fur or leather. Most ethical vegetarians would of course oppose killing animals for furs as well as for food.

Many vegetarians hold that leather is a by-product of slaughter rather than a prime cause of it. Many others have re-examined this position, and a large proportion have changed to shoes of natural or synthetic non-animal materials.

Vegetarianisn. is not a monolithic cult; it embraces many points of view, from the basic vegetarian (who eschews meat, fish, and fowl) to the extreme vegan (who uses no food, clothing, soaps, cosmetics, etc., with any animal ingredients).

6 ) EXPERIMENTS INDICATE THAT PLANTS HAVE CONSCIOUSNESS; HOW DO VEGETARIANS FEEL ABOUT THIS?

Wonderful! Vegetarians have been battling for centuries against the cynical attitude that even the ANIMALS are unfeeling brutes; and vegetarian sages of India have taught plant-consciousness and the Universality of all Life, over the past thousands of years. So we are at last making progress in educating the public. Pioneering scientific experiments in this field were made half a century ago by a vegetarian, when Dr. Bose examined rudimentary consciousness in the plants, albeit a greatly different type from that in humans and animals. But we need no Crescograph or Polygraph to prove that ANIMALS are subject to the SAME feelings of pain and emotions as we are.

Still, vegetarians can easily live on those foods which do not require the killing, or even harming, of the plants. These would include ripe fruits & nuts, berries and melons, legumes, tomatoes, seeds, squashes and pumpkins, okras, cucumbers, and many other vegetables. Potatoes are dug from the ground after the planthas died. Most vegetables are annuals, harvested at or near the end of their natural life. But please bear in mind that animals must eat about ten times as much vegetable food to return to us one unit of food value as meat. Thus, even in terms of destruction of plant-life, we see a factor of 10 to 1. Obviously, the question of plant consciousness can only be a strong point FOR vegetarianism.

7) THERE IS SO MUCH CRUELTY TO PEOPLE; WHY DO YOU WASTE TIME ON ANIMALS?

Can we really separate cruelty to fellow man, to children, to animals, or to nature and the world? If we never learn compassion, pity, and mercy for the weak and defenseless, is it likely we will ever begin to treat our fellow man fairly?

ALL brutality and cruelty poisons and stifles the higher, finer nature in humanity; ALL kindness helps make a better world for all. Vegetarianism — and all it implies — is of the utmost importance and potential benefit for animal and human alike. Thus, there is no question of choosing between them.
Reply 50
To the person who said that raising your children as vegetarians left them no choice, could the same not be said for somebody who is fed meat as a child?

And wtf, plants are conscious? That FAQ which was posted seems a bit dodgy.
Maybe you SHOULD stop worrying about where your dinner comes from and learn how to spell.
Reply 52
Well, ain't no way I'm going to give up a full rack of ribs in exchange for a tofu burger.
Reply 53
Falguni
yeah i agree with kurt. my family and ancestors have always been vegetarian and i am perfectly fine. when there are so many ppl in the world living on a vegetarian diet how can anyone possibly say that you need meat to survive?

my biology teacher had a economical and scientific reason for being vegetarian. if you remember the energy food pyramid from biology, you get more energy from eating fruits and vegetables and crops than you do from eating meat. also it is more economical to eat crops than to feed them to animals which you then eat.

however, i think there would be a lot more veggies if ppl had to catch and kill their own animals - most ppl dont make the connection when they eat meat.

btw many famous and intelligent ppl in the world were vegetarian so we are not just a 'bunch of hippies'!!

All very nice and also true - everyone knows humans need to eat plants, but why is it 'wrong' to eat meat? When you eat plants, a lot of the energy (probably most, acutally) stored within them is unavailable to you, as a human. The most abundant carbohydrate on the planet is cellulose and we can't use it - have you ever tried eating grass? Only certain bacteria, housed within the digestive tracts of special kinds animals can hydrolyse these 'unusable' compounds into a usable form - making a great deal of the unobtainable energy stored within plants (plants which we wouldn't normally eat!) available to us. Also, why was killing the lamb disgusting? It's livestock - that's what it was intended for. That said, I wouldn't have been able to kill it - but that wouldn't stop me from eating it. All I'm trying to say is that there is nothing inherently wrong with eating animals!

Ben
Reply 54
I wouldnt preach at people it is a personal preference. I have just heard so many horror stories about the treatment of animals due to agressive farming methods that I'd rather not risk it. I can live on it quite happily I only miss black pudding and bacon and thats only occasionally I am definitely healthier since I've turned veggie but the lifestyle doesnt suit everyone.
Forget all this crap - i'll stop eating food and drink only rain water!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending