The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lulope

He likes to think he is :biggrin: Actually his taste in music is pretty good. There's rather a lot of his old CDs on my iPod.

I'm sure he is!
Rather embarrassingly my mum has had more of an influence: Abba, Bee Gees, Boney M, Lionel Richie
:tongue:

Don't mock! :cool:
Original post by LukethePianoMan
I like Egypt. nice and hot, just find the right hotel and don't leave the complex and you will be fine :smile:
When I went we were at a 5 star hotel (OK, to our standards it would be 4) but it was great, all inclusive and they had a bar in the swimming pool! So you could swim and get a drink while swimming!

I'm not saying the hotels aren't good; they are, or I wouldn't return there (I went before). I went out on a day trip to another dive site, though, and passed through some actual Egypt. Not at all a pretty sight. Travelling through it would be awful.
Reply 3702
If I ever make it into Cambridge, I desperately need to do something about my work motivation. There has been work to do for weeks, and I told myself I would take my time to do it during Christmas break. Now it's the 29th and here I am.
I can't force myself to start since I still have a tiny spark of hope that I will get an offer, in which case I WOULD NOT NEED TO DO the work. On the other hand, I ought to work as in case of a rejection, I need good grades to perhaps get a graduate place in Cambridge later.
Sweet dilemma. Being this lazy, I wouldn't survive a week in Cambridge.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I've got a free as well and I think that I'll stay at home until I've got the letter.

Let's meet up and get astonishingly drunk! Haha :cheers:
BOO STATS!!!! :boring: Real Mathematicians do Mechanics!:bl::bhangra:
Reply 3705
Ugh. I've realised I printed out the wrong timetable for summer exams. I did 2010 instead of 2011. Thought I had a nice time table. NOPE.
Wednesday 22nd June
FP1 - AM
FP2 - AM
BY5 - AM

>.< I am doing FP1 in Jan, so hopefully won't need to resit that. But BY5 and FP2 in one moning. No fun (N)
Original post by mintaero25
Let's meet up and get astonishingly drunk! Haha :cheers:

Wahey, I like the sound of that! :beer:

Original post by Scrubby
BOO STATS!!!! :boring: Real Mathematicians do Mechanics!:bl::bhangra:

THIS

:yep:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'm not saying the hotels aren't good; they are, or I wouldn't return there (I went before). I went out on a day trip to another dive site, though, and passed through some actual Egypt. Not at all a pretty sight. Travelling through it would be awful.

Ye actual Egypt isn't that nice, but u go to Egypt for the beach, not the buildings they can't be bothered to finish!
Reply 3708
Original post by qua
If I ever make it into Cambridge, I desperately need to do something about my work motivation. There has been work to do for weeks, and I told myself I would take my time to do it during Christmas break. Now it's the 29th and here I am.
I can't force myself to start since I still have a tiny spark of hope that I will get an offer, in which case I WOULD NOT NEED TO DO the work. On the other hand, I ought to work as in case of a rejection, I need good grades to perhaps get a graduate place in Cambridge later.
Sweet dilemma. Being this lazy, I wouldn't survive a week in Cambridge.

EXACTLY the same situation, but im 99% sure of rejection so i should just be working!
Reply 3709
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I love the fact that you always stay up till ridiculous times. :ahee:

G'night!

Hey, I'm a good boy during term time and you can hardly talk! :P

Quite. It would be great if we could choose our dreams, wouldn't it?
I had an offer dream last night :colondollar: My subconscious seems slightly more optimistic than my conscious.

Anyway, the middle east is crap. Haven't you watched top gear? Personal experience: I came back from Egypt a week ago ish - which must be representative of the middle east, given it's a sandy islamic republic - and it's just a desert with the occasional collection of shacks dotted about. Unfinished shacks, too, since they can't get credit over there, and have to start building something so the government doesn't take their land off them. There's nothing interesting there at all. The meat doesn't taste like meat, the women don't look like women - rather, like ninjas - and camels aren't as fun as you imagine. Don't romanticise it.
Travel through somewhere good, like the far east, or America.

Egypt is quite westernised though. Besides, it's a logical fallacy to move from the particular to the general. There are so many parts of the middle east which would be far more interesting, however, I do want to visit Egypt in the summer if I can afford it, so stop Egypt-bashing!
Reply 3710
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Ye actual Egypt isn't that nice, but u go to Egypt for the beach, not the buildings they can't be bothered to finish!

1. You don't go to egypt for the beach, otherwise you could just go to any old s***hole for a beach like spain or something.

2. No doubt Egypt is an absolute hole, (i've been) and it's in no way representative of the middle east. Neither are Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain etc.

3. The true middle east such as syria is full of iconic historical sites which an academic or historian would love to visit, sadly if your looking for a beach it's probably not for you, stick to spain. (that said there is a beach there)
Original post by Caught_A_Glimpse
Ahhh of course! All 5! :tongue: Ahhh I've never been a master of Rubix cubes, I get happy when I get one side! :tongue:

They'd absolutely love it if you did that! They'd ask you to teach them all your tricks :wink:

Hmm, although the journey is only 45mins-1 hour, if we didn't turn the car heating on it COULD stay fresh! :tongue: Although yes, my parents would most probably notice!

I love them! I'm able to do the 3x3 one without a bother... the 4x4 is an other story! Every time that I am even close to finishing it.... I get excited and mess it up!

Ha ha... Yeah I really wish... When I was working in Centra (like Spar) before they gave me the job of signing people up to loyalty tags... I was getting like 10 times more than other people... I even got people to sign up who had refused other people! They miss me to this day!

Yeah... And they might make the 1 hour car drive to get it back!
Original post by Schnecke
Too much work, stress, depression. I was pretty young and oblivious at the time, so don't know a lot of the details but my parents keep coming out with 'I just don't think that place is good for our family' kinda thing, but they may well have had the same experience had they gone elsewhere.

Really? Which ones were they? My brothers and sisters are older than me too... It is like we are two different families! Yeah... How were they with you applying? Will they be disappointed if you don't get in (hypothetically of course!)
Original post by Lyam
Hey, I'm a good boy during term time and you can hardly talk! :P

Egypt is quite westernised though. Besides, it's a logical fallacy to move from the particular to the general. There are so many parts of the middle east which would be far more interesting, however, I do want to visit Egypt in the summer if I can afford it, so stop Egypt-bashing!

I am in no way committing that fallacy. It is reasonable to surmise that in a country, similar to Egypt, where there is no credit, the building will be bad and unfinished, knowing, as we do, that the buildings in Egypt are unfinished because of the lack of credit. It is reasonable to surmise that, in a country similar to Egypt, where the country is a desert... that it will be a desert. It is reasonable to surmise that, in a country similar to Egypt, where the state religion is Islam, the meat won't taste like meat - because it will be halal - and the women won't look like women - because they will be covered. I am in no way asserting that it is certain that these will all be the case, but it seems rather likely, doesn't it?

I'm not in any way trying to **** on your dream, I just feel I need to back up what I'm saying when accused with fallacious logic! Of course you may find the places interesting despite the above stuff, I was just trying to say that it wouldn't be my cup of tea. Nor does any of the above necessarily have any relevance to a trip through it. Obviously you don't go on a trip through the middle east to eat gourmet meat and spy on people's houses.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kayla:)
Ugh. I've realised I printed out the wrong timetable for summer exams. I did 2010 instead of 2011. Thought I had a nice time table. NOPE.
Wednesday 22nd June
FP1 - AM
FP2 - AM
BY5 - AM

>.< I am doing FP1 in Jan, so hopefully won't need to resit that. But BY5 and FP2 in one moning. No fun (N)

I have a similar day lined up on the 22nd if I get an offer from Cambridge:

M4 - AM
BIO5 - AM
STEP III - PM

only 6 and three quarter hours of exams...
I am in no way committing that fallacy. It is reasonable to surmise that in a country, similar to Egypt, where there is no credit, the building will be bad and unfinished, knowing, as we do, that the buildings in Egypt are unfinished because of the lack of credit. It is reasonable to surmise that, in a country similar to Egypt, where the country is a desert... that it will be a desert. It is reasonable to surmise that, in a country similar to Egypt, where the state religion is Islam, the meat won't taste like meat - because it will be halal - and the women won't look like women - because they will be covered. I am in no way asserting that it is certain that these will all be the case, but it seems rather likely, doesn't it?

but halal meat tastes pretty much the same though... :rolleyes:
Original post by pink giggle

Yes. Pretty much the same as polystyrene.
The flavour is in the blood. Draining the blood out of meat is like draining the fat out of cheese.
Original post by dog24
1. You don't go to egypt for the beach, otherwise you could just go to any old s***hole for a beach like spain or something.

2. No doubt Egypt is an absolute hole, (i've been) and it's in no way representative of the middle east. Neither are Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain etc.

3. The true middle east such as syria is full of iconic historical sites which an academic or historian would love to visit, sadly if your looking for a beach it's probably not for you, stick to spain. (that said there is a beach there)

actually you DO go to egypt for the beach, it's currently the cheapest mass tourist beach resort, and loads of people i know are going for beach holidays there. i know it's a fairly new development but right now the beach is what 90% of tourists travelling to egypt will be going to, it's pretty much the new ibiza.

that's not to say there's not better stuff to visit there, i'm sure there is. but it's far cheaper/ more popular than places like spain, in beach-resort terms.
Original post by pink giggle

Oh, I see you applied for PPS.... I did too
I've not actually asked any of the other applicants here on TSR yet how their interview went so, yeah, how did yours go? Any difficult questions?

I applied to Jesus by the way :smile:
Yes. Pretty much the same as polystyrene.
The flavour is in the blood. Draining the blood out of meat is like draining the fat out of cheese.

haha. okayy. well, i grew up mainly eating halal meat and i really can't say i taste that big of a difference. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending