Driving a 1.0l car

Watch
Black Mammoth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I drive a 1.1 Fiesta and can get 75 with 5 people in it (not including me) on a half mile stretch of coast, providing roads are empty. You should be ok.
easter_bunny
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My Yaris is 1 litre and it does high speed pretty well.. fine for motorways etc. I wouldn't be able to overtake a BMW at 90 but its pretty nippy. The only thing is if it's got loads and loads of stuff in it and struggles to get up hills a bit.
airdoc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friend has a 1l yaris and I always think he is in third when he is in fifth.
DJkG.1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fosters88)
Engine size is meaning less without other stats. Depends how much BP and Torque the engine produces, depends on gear ratios, weight of the car and additional load i.e. driver/passengers/luggage to how a cars performs.

Plenty of small 1.2 engined cars are on par or even marginly faster than a lot of hatchback 1.6 despite what the stats claim. So I do not see why a small light 1.0 car can not be reasonably good.
Exactly. OP, which car are you thinking of here and how old is it? I've driven a Hyundai 1.1L [can't remember the car's name] and an old 1.0L VW Polo which were both very good at decent speeds; the Polo could handle normal motorway speeds (70-80 mph) absolutely fine in 5th even though it is not really designed for that kind of driving and in spite of it being an 1997 'R' reg. And there are plenty of 1.6Ls which are significantly worse as they are heavy and deliver poor BHP in relation to torque and weight, and have crappy gear ratios etc.

(Original post by LilacTweet)
I have a 1L new KA, and it's fine aslong as you make sure your in the right gear, (like not too high for the speed as it's very sensitive to this imo) although the steep hills in devon mean i often have to stay in 2nd just to get up them!
Yes but that is because it is a Ford KA and not because it is 1.0L.
Wookie42
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Suggestions of performance mods are a bit silly considering at 17 his insurance will be insane. Last year, adding 10hp through filters (basic, BASIC mods) cost me £60 on my insurance alone...
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by M1F2R3)
Unless you don't declare it.
True, but an undeclared modification could void your insurance. Wouldn't be worth the risk for me, though I'm sure there must be people who do it.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Wookie42)
Suggestions of performance mods are a bit silly considering at 17 his insurance will be insane. Last year, adding 10hp through filters (basic, BASIC mods) cost me £60 on my insurance alone...
You added 10hp through filters?! Hahahaha, prove it.
DJkG.1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:lolwut: What car and... how lol?
miike1234
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lazaroo)
I have a 1.1 Seicento Sporting. Goes like **** off a stick, can get 100mph out of it.
Haha you remind me of the inbetweeners. Also, a 1.1 Seicento is in no way even slightly fast, it either feels fast to you because you've never driven anything faster or the cars built so badly it feels like you're going twice as fast as you actually are.

Your car has 54bhp (when new) and about 60 Lbft torque, my car has 180 bhp and 295 lbft torque, does 140mph (all stock) and I still wouldn't say that its fast, just average for modern cars.
Wookie42
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To the above two posts,

MG ZR 1.4 but its pretty old :P 57i induction kit which I got on ebay for £40 instead of an rrp of closer to £100 (I think?). Tests did come up as over 10 higher after, not exaggerating or whatever, but its probably due to the previous piping being ****. Really notice it in 3rd especially though and for £40 I couldn't be happier - installation was a piece of cake too.

gbduo, if you don't believe me fiiine, but I honestly have no reason to lie on a forum like this.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To the above two posts,

MG ZR 1.4 but its pretty old :P 57i induction kit which I got on ebay for £40 instead of an rrp of closer to £100 (I think?). Tests did come up as over 10 higher after, not exaggerating or whatever, but its probably due to the previous piping being ****. Really notice it in 3rd especially though and for £40 I couldn't be happier - installation was a piece of cake too.

gbduo, if you don't believe me fiiine, but I honestly have no reason to lie on a forum like this.
I know you have no reason to lie, but your figures seem a little high thats all! You have given the engine about a 10% increase in power just be changing the air filter, that is impressive by anyones standards especially when fitting a K&N, these usually lose power as they suck in hot air (unless cold ram installed)

maybe the stock filter is very restrictive but wow, impressive gains for a £40 mod thats all. They normally give 2-3bhp but much better throttle response and smooth flow. To get 10bhp without modifying the exhaust or any other part of the system which allows the engine to 'breathe' is normally unheard of.

But if you have the dyno results then can't argue with that!

No offence caused, sorry I sounded a bit cranky in my first post! I am just shocked!

Graham
miike1234
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
10 bhp for £40 would be rediculously good if it's true, I'm looking at about £500 for a chip that'll add about 35-40 bhp
Wookie42
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
I know you have no reason to lie, but your figures seem a little high thats all! You have given the engine about a 10% increase in power just be changing the air filter, that is impressive by anyones standards especially when fitting a K&N, these usually lose power as they suck in hot air (unless cold ram installed)

maybe the stock filter is very restrictive but wow, impressive gains for a £40 mod thats all. They normally give 2-3bhp but much better throttle response and smooth flow. To get 10bhp without modifying the exhaust or any other part of the system which allows the engine to 'breathe' is normally unheard of.

But if you have the dyno results then can't argue with that!

No offence caused, sorry I sounded a bit cranky in my first post! I am just shocked!

Graham
That's the thing though, I only installed it because my car died due to the old filters being completely destroyed. I was told before I'd get 5-10% of an increase, but the difference I've noticed could partially be due to the stock parts being so poor - I bought it second hand, bad decision but I'm a poor 18 year old student right? My mate who helped me put it in did something small, mentioning the need for cool air? No idea if that's what's done it but I can really pull away now without having to r*pe my engine so much

Don't worry about sounding cranky, there are tons of kids on forums (not like this one though) who make up piles of BS about things like this. You have every right to question!
Fuzzed_Out
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
meh I drive a 1.2 Punto and it's quite thrashable and does the job day to day, cruises easily at 80ish on the motorway when you start following the guy in front. Nothing like the 4.5 litre Bentley I occasional get a go on though.
yoyo462001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
My friend has a 1l yaris and I always think he is in third when he is in fifth.
In my Yaris (1L) I'm in 5th pretty much at 25mph, that way I hardly ever have the car over 1.5k - 2K RPM.
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rsp2009)
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0l, over ten years old, over 70,000 miles.
I'm talking at least 60-70mph on the motorway etc. Will it be a struggle?
Haahahaha...*wipes tears* I have the 1.2 Corsa, 12 years old. It struggles to even reach 70 and once it has it doesn't feel stable at all. Someone once said If I can get it to 90 then it feels fine and dandy...
Alton Towers was fun. Going up the hills in first gear ffs! Having to pull over to let other pass! It's a nightmare.

But it's going to be cheaper for you. You soon get used to the speed and after a while you feel that you have made the right choice with your nippy car

PLUS My Corsa NEVER DIES!
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's the thing though, I only installed it because my car died due to the old filters being completely destroyed. I was told before I'd get 5-10% of an increase, but the difference I've noticed could partially be due to the stock parts being so poor - I bought it second hand, bad decision but I'm a poor 18 year old student right? My mate who helped me put it in did something small, mentioning the need for cool air? No idea if that's what's done it but I can really pull away now without having to r*pe my engine so much

Don't worry about sounding cranky, there are tons of kids on forums (not like this one though) who make up piles of BS about things like this. You have every right to question!
Lol, I am a marine engineer, you can't Bull **** a bull ****(er)! Possibly but the cold ram air works best at speed, like rolling starts from 30ish you will start to feel it if it was that. Sounds like you gave the car a really good service, that would give you a spike in power if it had not been done for a while!

On my S2k, you can fit a induction kit which makes it sound awesome, especially when going into VTEC, the only problem is that the induction kit sits behind the radiator which means that it is sucking in nice warm air which is crap for performance and furthermore on a hot day, at idle the heat in the engine bay heats everything up and the engine runs lean and kangaroos when you pull away unless you clear the throats.

So...induction kit is a bit rubbish unless you rig massive bits of ducting to the filter! So I am keeping the car standard me thinks.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
meh I drive a 1.2 Punto and it's quite thrashable, nothing like the 4.5 litre Bentley I occasional get a go on though.
4.5litre? Which one is that, is that a really old one? Only reason I say is because all Bentleys have used the same 6.75ltr V8 since like the 80s, some were turbocharged. The really new Bentleys use the 6ltr W12 from VW.

I am just thinking the only Bentley that had a 4.5Ltr was probably the Bentley Blower, which was way back in the 30s! I am so jealous if you driven one of them! They are iconic...and worth a fortune! A lot of history with the Bentley Blower!
Wookie42
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
Lol, I am a marine engineer, you can't Bull **** a bull ****(er)! Possibly but the cold ram air works best at speed, like rolling starts from 30ish you will start to feel it if it was that. Sounds like you gave the car a really good service, that would give you a spike in power if it had not been done for a while!

On my S2k, you can fit a induction kit which makes it sound awesome, especially when going into VTEC, the only problem is that the induction kit sits behind the radiator which means that it is sucking in nice warm air which is crap for performance and furthermore on a hot day, at idle the heat in the engine bay heats everything up and the engine runs lean and kangaroos when you pull away unless you clear the throats.

So...induction kit is a bit rubbish unless you rig massive bits of ducting to the filter! So I am keeping the car standard me thinks.
Fair point, I guess it defeats the object of the exercise if all you're doing is heating everything up - even I know that from my tiny knowledge of these things!

However, I now hate you for owning an S2k and am completely jealous. Closest I've got is sitting in one in the Honda showroom before being hauled out when they quickly realised I was never going to buy one Jeaaalouuss.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.15%
No (512)
48.85%

Watched Threads