Driving a 1.0l car

Watch
MR.PINK
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
It's not a Ford engine, though, else there'd be a 1.2 Fiesta.....

It's a FIAT group engine.
i cant comment as i didnt know the fiat took over the ka's
so il take your word for it
michael321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rsp2009)
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0l, over ten years old, over 70,000 miles.
I'm talking at least 60-70mph on the motorway etc. Will it be a struggle?
I drive a 1lr Nissan Micra (the newer, frog-like model), and it's fine. Now, I'm sure I could get a million things that could accelerate faster, and indeed I'd love to, but insurance on such a car would probably be excessive.

Regarding speed - I have travelled for hours at an indicated 80mph (about 77mph real speed according to GPS) on a motorway with no trouble whatsoever. Stick it into fourth and it will happily accelerate up a hill from say 80-90mph. Driving it normally on 60mph roads it's fine - if you want maximum acceleration out of corners etc. you have to drop a gear or two, but it can handle speed fine. For overtaking I won't lie and say it's the best car for this, but I regularly drive a seven/eight mile trip on A/B roads to see my grandparents, and if there's someone doing, say, 45mph in a 60, I can happily get past them - though I will need a decent straight, and ideally to know the road quite well.

The main difficulty is weight. It's actually quite a nippy car with only one person in it, but once you get to three or more well-built guys it will be notably slower off the mark. You can still drive it perfectly well, but overtaking becomes very sluggish at these speeds, as do things like getting past slow people at lights etc., and overtaking multiple cars is an absolute nono.

You'll get loads of people on here, who've moved on to bigger engines, who will tell you that a 1ltr is totally useless, don't even bother. But ultimately, most decent 1ltrs will get you from A-B at a perfectly reasonable speed, they just won't overtake without a bit of a straight, and they'll slow down if you sit a few heavy people in them. I'd like a bigger engine, but for now the 1ltr Nissan does fine.
Carlito o.O
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Years ago my mate had a Peugot 106 (i think it was a 106 anyway...'twas a long time ago) and it took its time getting to speed but it did reach 100 at one point. It'll get you to your 70mph (in time), but overtaking might be a problem
1992LP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fosters88)
The Ka is easily the better car to the Focus 1.6 and Megane 1.5 when it comes cornering to due to its chassis.
Exactly how does a Ka handle better than a Focus??
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's it like?
I'm 17, male. I've heard their extremely difficult to reach decent speeds with.
I have a 1l micra and theres nothing wrong with it. Mine goes at decent speads easily enough.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
Lol, I am a marine engineer, you can't Bull **** a bull ****(er)! Possibly but the cold ram air works best at speed, like rolling starts from 30ish you will start to feel it if it was that. Sounds like you gave the car a really good service, that would give you a spike in power if it had not been done for a while!
When I was at uni I was involved in a racing team (we had a Formula 750 car) and looked into ram air systems - when we did the calculations (the team was made up almost exclusively of aero and mechanical engineering under grads and post grads) and found that to for the power gain to compensate for the increased drag of the ram air system the car needed to be doing over 100mph.. I wasn't involved in the calculations so I don't know how specific to the car this is though! Obviously cold air's always good and doesn't need to have any negative effects. The Citroen version of the 306 TD apparently gains about 2hp simply because the intercooler sits behind the radiator and not on top of the engine!

(Original post by fosters88)
Fiat petrol engine in the mk2 Ka produces the same BHP but less Torque than Ford petrol engine in mk1 Ka
Fiat diesel engine in the mk2 Ka produces the same BHP but more Torque than Ford petrol engine in mk1 Ka
All you're saying there is that peak power is at higher RPMs for the petrol than the diesel (rotational power = torque x rotational speed) - not really sure of the point you're trying to make with that!

My brother used to have a Ka and it was a bit of a gutless wonder. It felt fast when you were inside it, but if my brother was following me somewhere I had to keep remembering to slow up or he'd just get left behind - and I don't drive a particularly spritely car!
Rich_183
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
Fine lol i have a 1 litre and it does 96mph flat out..... Nothing wrong with it and tbh I like how light weight and nippy it is
Rich_183
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chaz1992)
I'm sure the whole car would shake when you go above 50 mph.

Another thing is is that if you're buying a 1 litre car for mpg then don't. Often a 1.5-1.8L car would do better mpg as you don't need to floor the throttle every time you set off from stop to actually move. As for insurane, I think i'm right in believing group 1 cars are group 1 cars and insurance would be cheap no matter the difference in engine capacity.
OP this is a load of rubbish, don't listen to him !
Rickelton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i drive 1.0l vauxhall corsa. with a hill, you struggle to accelerate, need to rev it high. however, motorway 85 is easy. i think whatever engine you get, you always want the next one bigger. also, as you are male, you want the cheapest insurance. mine was £750 as a named driver (male).

Basically, it does the job,
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
When I was at uni I was involved in a racing team (we had a Formula 750 car) and looked into ram air systems - when we did the calculations (the team was made up almost exclusively of aero and mechanical engineering under grads and post grads) and found that to for the power gain to compensate for the increased drag of the ram air system the car needed to be doing over 100mph.. I wasn't involved in the calculations so I don't know how specific to the car this is though! Obviously cold air's always good and doesn't need to have any negative effects. The Citroen version of the 306 TD apparently gains about 2hp simply because the intercooler sits behind the radiator and not on top of the engine!

Interesting! I guess it depends on the mean speed around the track and whether it is worth it or not. If you look at most Formula cars, they use ram air systems with the air intake above the drivers head so there must be something to it, but equally the average speed of a F1/F2/Formula Renault around most tracks is going to be in the high 90s to early hundreds so your mates calculations would make sense in that respect.

Probably why you don't see large scoops for cold air into the engine, rather for cooling on some turbo engines or to maintain under bonnet temps at a reasonable level.
zackoryc0001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0l, over ten years old, over 70,000 miles.
I'm talking at least 60-70mph on the motorway etc. Will it be a struggle?
that car has a top speed of 96mph and 0-60 in 17.6s that's not gonna win you races but it'll do what you need it to do also, it can do 544 miles on a full tank which is excellent for how cheap it is.
Last edited by zackoryc0001; 2 weeks ago
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it probably couldn't 10 years ago when the thread was active
virgil1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah got to love a good bit of necromancy.

That being said it’s interesting how far technology has come. You can get a 1l car with well over 100bhp and 2l cars with north of 300bhp.
Teddy650123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have a 1.0 corsa and flys around up to 30-40 ish then you feel the effects of 1.0 and as for overtaking you do have to drop down gears for that quick thump but idk I think 1.0 is perfect especially for a first car and quite common even a rather big Ford Focus has a 1.0
zackoryc0001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
well first of all its the ****ing same car 10 years later, just 20yrs old and 2nd, I don't give a **** how old this thread is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.15%
No (512)
48.85%

Watched Threads