How to get in the front of a standing concert? :D Watch

gemstar!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm seeing a concert in January at the NIA in birmingham and I've got a standing ticket. But i really want to get close to the front, if not, at the front
How long before the start of the concert should i get there for? :P
X
Funkss!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you get someone to pop you up just after it starts then you can crowd surf to the front. Just remember to drop down before a beefy security guy grabs your leg.
markrush
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
From experience it's not about getting there early it's about just working your way through. I remember the Manics at an awesome concert. I was at the front, surrounded by the "new" fans whilst wearing a promo T from their "Holy Bible" album. We didn't get there early but just edged through.

A mate, well kinda gf, Laura nearly passed out; caught her and tried to take her to the side. But she wouldn't let me. She wouldn't let me loose the spot, so made sure she was safe. Good move as well. Since I was very obvious with the shirt, tall, long hair and she is stunning the cameras were on us so much - turned out it was also filmed for a live video and we were in sooo much of it . Sorry ramble moment there haha
-aimz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by markrush)
From experience it's not about getting there early it's about just working your way through. I remember the Manics at an awesome concert. I was at the front, surrounded by the "new" fans whilst wearing a promo T from their "Holy Bible" album. We didn't get there early but just edged through.

A mate, well kinda gf, Laura nearly passed out; caught her and tried to take her to the side. But she wouldn't let me. She wouldn't let me loose the spot, so made sure she was safe. Good move as well. Since I was very obvious with the short, tall, long hair and she is stunning the cameras were on us so much - turned out it was also filmed for a live video and we were in sooo much of it . Sorry ramble moment there haha
You,my friend,have excellent taste in concerts

Get there early I guess,is the only way to ensure you get near the front?
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get there a few hours before opening, sprint to the front. Sorted. Pretty much been at the front for every gig I've been to, minus a few at Download fest.
IrishPerson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
depends what act your seeing... the earliest ive queued to get front row was 10am for 8pm show and its always worth it
rick_james
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just work your way forward, managed to get to the front or there abouts by just squeezing through. At reading I was late to the libertines still managed to get right to the front.
watchthis
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I went to see Dream Theater last year in Manchester and I got to the place a couple of hours before the gig started and there were a few queueing already, so I had to sprint it to make it to the front. On the other hand, I went to see Slash recently and started somewhere in the middle and barged my way through the front when it was about to start. So it really depends what you want to do.
markrush
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by -aimz)
You,my friend,have excellent taste in concerts

Get there early I guess,is the only way to ensure you get near the front?
I have to say so do you too!

What is your favourite song/lyric?
Law123mus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Blowjobs for space will work.
harlar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Push.
tailschao
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(First part of post not necessarily directed at OP)
If you expect that you can roll up later than everyone else and push your way to the front, expect my elbow to be introduced to your neck. Seriously. And to anyone in this thread who does that, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are the bane of every decent person's live music experience. You want to be at the front, you damn well commit to spending your entire day queuing. You want to have time to eat and get pissed and hang out before hand, stay by the soundboard. ****ing savages. And no, it's not 'part of the experience'. Moshing, singing, jumping and what not are part of the live music experience. Being a selfish annoying **** is not.

OK, rant over.

OP, just get there early. How early totally depends on the artist in question and size of venue. I've known people camp out for a week and more to get front row centre at certain shows. I've also gotten to shows 1 hour before doors and been the only (first) person there. Former was stadiums, latter was a 600 capacity hall near my house. Do some research on fan forums dedicated to the band and you should be able to work it out.
Panda Bear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tailschao)
I've known people camp out for a week and more to get front row centre at certain shows.
Please tell me you're exaggerating there, because that's beyond pathetic.
Left Hand Drive
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hate people who try push past you and steal you're space. If I was a prick I'd break their jaw!
siani-chan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah just get there early. I've been at or near the front with pretty much every gig I've been to, you just have to get there a few hours early, it's not that much hassle - it's kind of fun. I hate people who turn up after you and just sort of expect that you'll move out of their way so they can get to the front - err, no, that's not how it works, I was here first, **** off.

Who are you seeing?
tailschao
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Panda Bear)
Please tell me you're exaggerating there, because that's beyond pathetic.
I once heard about a Swedish couple being there 8 days before. Though, to be fair, I think the story was that they had a relative who lived across the road from the venue. So they set up their tents @ the venue, got the roll-call list started, but then basically just stayed in the relative's house until other people arrived. No-one else arrived until 5 days before IIRC.

I'm also personally acquainted with a guy who has started queues at a few shows, he usually gets there 3/4 days or so in advance. I also know of a guy who once took 3 months off work to follow the entire tour around 23 shows across Europe. Not quite the same as queuing, but still a fairly intense commitment.

I admit, the week or more thing was a pretty much a single occurrence, but between 3 and 5 days is fairly common. Of course, these are all shows by the same artist. Fans of this particular artist can be quite... rabid.

Earliest I've ever gotten to a show in my life (which was a show by this particular artist, would you believe ) was 5:45am on the morning - 3rd row off to the side. Whereas for a lot of artists 5:45am would result in being not only front row centre, but also hanging out on your own for 12hrs before someone else turns up.
TinFish
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gemstar!)
I'm seeing a concert in January at the NIA in birmingham and I've got a standing ticket. But i really want to get close to the front, if not, at the front
How long before the start of the concert should i get there for? :P
X
Drake...if so me too. Freestyle tickets
Panda Bear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tailschao)
I once heard about a Swedish couple being there 8 days before. Though, to be fair, I think the story was that they had a relative who lived across the road from the venue. So they set up their tents @ the venue, got the roll-call list started, but then basically just stayed in the relative's house until other people arrived. No-one else arrived until 5 days before IIRC.

I'm also personally acquainted with a guy who has started queues at a few shows, he usually gets there 3/4 days or so in advance. I also know of a guy who once took 3 months off work to follow the entire tour around 23 shows across Europe. Not quite the same as queuing, but still a fairly intense commitment.

I admit, the week or more thing was a pretty much a single occurrence, but between 3 and 5 days is fairly common. Of course, these are all shows by the same artist. Fans of this particular artist can be quite... rabid.

Earliest I've ever gotten to a show in my life (which was a show by this particular artist, would you believe ) was 5:45am on the morning - 3rd row off to the side. Whereas for a lot of artists 5:45am would result in being not only front row centre, but also hanging out on your own for 12hrs before someone else turns up.
So who is this artist?
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 20
Report 8 years ago
Honestly? Get there early. It depends on who you're seeing of course.
Also, if you get there rather early, you'll sort of edge forwards as some people who go to stand in favourable places decide to leave during the support acts for toilet/drinks (thinking they can regain their spot :rolleyes:). But my advice would be, take a drink if the venue allows it (probably not), or if not..get yourself near the front where you can receive free water from security (again, if the venue is decent enough) and make sure you won't get hungry or need the loo halfway through. :top:
kirsty142
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was at the front for Iron Maiden at Sonisphere, was stood there for about 1 1/2 hours, although I know there were some who were there all day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads