This discussion is closed.
Nafisa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
How many academic books have you guys read in your lifetime for fun?

just wondering!!! :confused:
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)

Erm. Probably none. But my dad wants me to read this big particle physics book he has in time for me starting AS-Level Physics in September. Apparently it's really interesting, and he had a really nice summer reading it when he found out that he'd have to teach the stuff in there. And do you think I can be bothered to read it?

**rushes downstairs to get the book**

Lol, I'll get as far as page 10 and get bored probably.

Ah, I can't even find it. But I picked up a similar book and it looked very boring with things to understand.

Sod that then.

You?
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Erm. Probably none. But my dad wants me to read this big particle physics book he has in time for me starting AS-Level Physics in September. Apparently it's really interesting, and he had a really nice summer reading it when he found out that he'd have to teach the stuff in there. And do you think I can be bothered to read it?

Ah, I can't even find it. But I picked up a similar book and it looked very boring with things to understand.

Sod that then.

You?
If you're interested in Physics/Artifical intelligence The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose is a very wide ranging and interesting popular science book... can be heavy in places though.

I reckon I've read four or five purely for fun, but bear in mind that that tends to mean 600 pages each or so of the size of book computing books are usually.... the rest I've read for my course.

I've read a few popular science books for background stuff too.

(basically I have only read one fiction/fun book since my school stopped me doing book reports in like yr9 - the book was Evelyn Waugh's Scoop if anyone cares...)

Alaric.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
I was just wondering if oxbridge people read like billions for fun
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
none - Crawley is too much fun to sit around reading books!
Nafisa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tinykates)
none - Crawley is too much fun to sit around reading books!
yeah man, one megaplex, a crappy nighclub and few seedy pubs bring it on xxxx
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah man, one megaplex, a crappy nighclub and few seedy pubs bring it on xxxx
YAYYYYYYYYYYY 4 Crawley
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Er...no. Some are quite interesting once you get into them, but I don't purposefully go into a book shop with a 'let's find the most high-brow, equation-ridden, longest book' mentaility.

Ben
Nafisa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Er...no. Some are quite interesting once you get into them, but I don't purposefully go into a book shop with a 'let's find the most high-brow, equation-ridden, longest book' mentaility.

Ben
wow, im sorry if I suggested you did
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Unfortunately during term I'm usually running aroundlike a headless chicken fro mone thing to another so whenever I do read extra stuff I tend to do it in the vacations... the last textbook I read was one on cryptography - I'll let you decide if that's a sad thing to do. It is pretty relevant for the career I'd like to do, and a certain extent the security course next year.

Alaric.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)

Sod that then.

You?

What's it called? Some popular science books are really quite good. You can get ones that are quite heavy, and others that have quite a lot of personal detail and stuff as a little aside. I've read only probably about 6 or 7, but I plan to read more, so they can't be that bad! Read a lot more fiction though.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Probably only a couple for 'fun'. Though I think this is more than made up for by the number I do end up reading anyways
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some acedemic books are actually really interesting and fun...like history and astronomy...
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
YAYYYYYYYYYYY 4 Crawley
My bf's from Crawley.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
What's it called? Some popular science books are really quite good. You can get ones that are quite heavy, and others that have quite a lot of personal detail and stuff as a little aside. I've read only probably about 6 or 7, but I plan to read more, so they can't be that bad! Read a lot more fiction though.
Erm.

I think it's quite big, like the pages are like A4 size. And it's hardback. And blue. I think.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by picju96)
My bf's from Crawley.
really????????
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

for fun..maybe about 10
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
really????????
Yep. :rolleyes:

And to keep on topic, I've read about 2 or 3. Does reading the New Scientist count?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Honestly only a few

A brief history of time (back when it had only just been published...read it twice and hardly touched it since)

Bill Bryson's Made in America fantastic book about american language and a potted history of the US at the same time....and interesting (includes an excellent essay on PCness too).

Michael Price's Introducing Groundwater surprisingly interesting and very readable.

and Tucker's fascinating Sedimentary Petrology
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not an oxbridge applicant (durham,warwick,york,leeds,imper ial) but i read academic books for fun, i've read

General chemistry by linus pauling
Relativity by Albert Eienstein
Mathematics from the birth of numbers by sumone (i havent read this but i like to browse it)

I also love history books even though i'm a scientist, i tend to read rarther exotic things, at the moment i'm reading:
'Underwater warriors - the fighting history of midget submarines'
and in the past i've read

Cold war, building for a nuclear confrontation
U boat bases 1941-1945
The spanish civil war

and have just bought a fancy new book on Pearl harbor

I read new scientist as well, and i glance at nature in shops but understand little.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (219)
68.01%
No (103)
31.99%

Watched Threads