MRI on Knee

Watch
nina_ballet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi

I've got to have an MRI on my knee in a few weeks, but I'm really scared. Has anyone had one before? Did you have to go all the way in and how long did it take? I'm claustrophobic but I can cope with small spaces for a short length of time. Also, how big is the tube thing.
digitalis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nina_ballet)
Hi

I've got to have an MRI on my knee in a few weeks, but I'm really scared. Has anyone had one before? Did you have to go all the way in and how long did it take? I'm claustrophobic but I can cope with small spaces for a short length of time. Also, how big is the tube thing.
I'm sure you will go in leg first and your head will stay on the outside. Your leg will be in some sort of brace to make sure it stays still during the scan. MRI scans take a bit longer than CT, somewhere between 40-90 mins I would guess.
Sianelly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi

Hello, I am also claustrophobic. I had one done on my hip joint however mine did hurt alot as I had to have an injection first, however I doubt you will have to have an injection! so don't worry.

Everyone says how small it is, its not actually that small and you won't go all the way in, I promise they will put you in feet first. My MRI was about 45 mins (I think) as they took so many images, however you get given a pair of snazzy headphones, you can listen to your own music sometimes also but its quite loud however I didn't find it really loud and ended up falling asleep in the scanner and woke up with one of the radiographers telling me that it was over! I found it peaceful actually and made up a tune in my head to go along with the beats of the loud music.

The most reassuring thing is that they can hear you, and you can hear them so if at anytime you start to worry you will be able to tell them and they will help you out they are lovely. Just make sure you don't wear anything metal!

If you have any questions, your welcome to PM me or ask me on here and i'll be more than happy to help you out. Please don't worry or be scared i've done it myself and it was okay the tube looks quite small but actually its quite spacious (I didn't go all the way in either!) If it helps take someone with you, to comfort you however they cannot go in the room with you, due to medical reasons I took my boyfriend with me and it was lovely to know that I had someone with me who helped me before and afterwards.

Your be fine, don't worry and it will all be over soon!

xx
nina_ballet
Rep:
?
Hey

Thanks sooooo much both of you, I'm a lot less nervous now I know I don't have to go all the way in.

Nina xx
Wednesday Bass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had one a few months ago. You only go halfway in and it takes about twenty minutes. You're best off bringing a book because it does get boring.

It's nothing to worry about!
emilyanne2010
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you wont have to go all the way in.! i have had one done on my knee and i only went in waist high.!
you will be fine.- use it as an excuse to have a nap!
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
. . . .
OP mind me asking, how did you get the MRI? Did you ask for it, or did you keep complaining to your GP until they gave in and decided to give you the MRI???
Sianelly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DancinBallerina)
OP mind me asking, how did you get the MRI? Did you ask for it, or did you keep complaining to your GP until they gave in and decided to give you the MRI???
I was referred to by orthapedic consultants and my physiotherapist

x
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sianelly)
I was referred to by orthapedic consultants and my physiotherapist

x
Ah thanks for replying.
The-Real-One
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi

MRI takes 20 minutes. Your knee will be put into a brace. You maybe have 25 cm to the highest point of ceiling inside the chamber? There is some loud clacking noises, so make sure not to get frightened, sit up and bash your head.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot, I think if you're just having the knee done, the doctor can put you in the wrong way round so your head doesn't go in.
chernij
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've had two MRI scans on my knee in the past few months.
They put the knee in a brace and moved my knee into the machine. My torso and upwards weren't in the machine (I was lying on a bed-like thing). You get headphones and can choose the music, which is nice. It's definitely not claustrophobic.
Mine was about 25 minutes long.
Wednesday Bass
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chernij)
I've had two MRI scans on my knee in the past few months.
They put the knee in a brace and moved my knee into the machine. My torso and upwards weren't in the machine (I was lying on a bed-like thing). You get headphones and can choose the music, which is nice. It's definitely not claustrophobic.
Mine was about 25 minutes long.
I just got ear defenders! Not fair! :p:
LazyWorseThanInfidel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi

I have had my knee scanned three times. No you do not go all the way in. It took about 20 minutes. The machine is about 5ft by 4ft. It makes noises like a printer. Your head and torso will be outside the machine in the wide open space of the room. The space where your leg goes in is very spacious. Google a picture of a General Electric MRI scanning machine. My feet were really cold.
chernij
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
I just got ear defenders! Not fair! :p:
:p:
TVC15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Think a scan might be on the cards for me to! No one seems to know what's wrong with my knee, I've seen about three/four different people and no one really knows. They've finally set me off to be referred to hospital so it's just a waiting game now.. I'm an "interesting case" and that "maybe an 80 year olds knee might sound like that but certainly not a 20 year olds".

How reassuring.

It clicks. Well.. "clunks". Gah frustrating!
nina_ballet
Rep:
?
Hi

I've been set a date, this Sunday! I'm a bit worried about the snow but I hope it won't be too bad.

TVC15: It's the same with me too, I've had about 10 doctors visits giving me various pain killers which don't work, 20 physio appointments, a hospital appointment and 3 x-rays, all of which have shown nothing! Hope yours gets better soon

Thanks so much for your help everyone!
Sianelly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi

I've been set a date, this Sunday! I'm a bit worried about the snow but I hope it won't be too bad.

TVC15: It's the same with me too, I've had about 10 doctors visits giving me various pain killers which don't work, 20 physio appointments, a hospital appointment and 3 x-rays, all of which have shown nothing! Hope yours gets better soon

Good luck
I didn't realise other people were in this situation either, I have had problems with my hip joints for 2 years almost now, they click and crack. I had 2 x-rays, countless physio sessions and nobody knew what was going on until a month ago when I went to see a consultant who told me he believed I had a ligament laxity condition

Hope you guys get everything sorted!

xx
TVC15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi

How did you injure your knee? How long have you had it?Or have you always had it? Do they have any idea what it could be?

From my limited research I've read that MRI scans are better than X-rays. Why I'm not sure.

Mine doesn't constantly hurt when irritated such as bending, kneeling or running. I've always had it and it use to swell when I was little running about the playground. It's not done that for years but I've not irritated it to that extent for such a long time. I remember going to the doctors for an unrelated issue but brought it up while I was there and I was told it was a "party trick". I had a rehab appointment today and said that and he was in shock and that in no way is that click a party trick. Let me know how your scan goes! I'm intrigued! Fingers crossed this will give them more of an indication of what's going on.
Wednesday Bass
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TVC15)
Think a scan might be on the cards for me to! No one seems to know what's wrong with my knee, I've seen about three/four different people and no one really knows. They've finally set me off to be referred to hospital so it's just a waiting game now.. I'm an "interesting case" and that "maybe an 80 year olds knee might sound like that but certainly not a 20 year olds".

How reassuring.

It clicks. Well.. "clunks". Gah frustrating!
Sounds similar to me, it took the best part of 2 years and about 5 or 6 GP/physio visits before they finally sent me for an MRI to find I had (wait for it)
Pigmented villonodular synovitis

Now that's a mouthful!
nina_ballet
Rep:
?
Hi

(Original post by TVC15)
How did you injure your knee? How long have you had it?Or have you always had it? Do they have any idea what it could be?

From my limited research I've read that MRI scans are better than X-rays. Why I'm not sure.

Mine doesn't constantly hurt when irritated such as bending, kneeling or running. I've always had it and it use to swell when I was little running about the playground. It's not done that for years but I've not irritated it to that extent for such a long time. I remember going to the doctors for an unrelated issue but brought it up while I was there and I was told it was a "party trick". I had a rehab appointment today and said that and he was in shock and that in no way is that click a party trick. Let me know how your scan goes! I'm intrigued! Fingers crossed this will give them more of an indication of what's going on.
I think it was rock climbing that set it off about 3 years ago, but then it got worse and developed a name! I think, but I'm not sure, that its patella chondromalacia, that's the closest thing I can find to the name the doctor thinks it is. It's common in thin, tall, active teenage girls, which is me exactly. There is an operation that I could have for it but I'm trying to avoid that, but it will go away eventually so I'm just outting up with it, or hoping the MRI shows something diferent. The doctor said he'd only give me another appointment if it was something other than the thing with the long name, but if it was then he'd just send the report to us.
Thanks, and I hope you get your knee sorted soon too.

Nina
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed