Magic: The Gathering tutoring Watch

This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Okay, this is a very wierd post, but anyway.
My coursework project for A2 computing is about running a club database with magic: the gathering players. My problem is that, to give my club context, my teacher wants me to actually play a game of it with him, to show him how it works.
My problem is, how do i actually show him how to play the game?
I'm not sure of how i'd go about showing him the mechanics of the game without making it too complicated.
I doubt there are any players here, but its worth a shot.
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Okay, this is a very wierd post, but anyway.
My coursework project for A2 computing is about running a club database with magic: the gathering players. My problem is that, to give my club context, my teacher wants me to actually play a game of it with him, to show him how it works.
My problem is, how do i actually show him how to play the game?
I'm not sure of how i'd go about showing him the mechanics of the game without making it too complicated.
I doubt there are any players here, but its worth a shot.
what do u mean too compicated. it isn't hard to teach someone how to play a game. whenever you bring a friend round to play on your new game, you just say whats jump, whats fire, and whats go.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
what do u mean too compicated. it isn't hard to teach someone how to play a game. whenever you bring a friend round to play on your new game, you just say whats jump, whats fire, and whats go.
Its not a computer game, its a card game.
And these are the rules of it (see attachment).
Oops, the attachment is too big. Its a 153 page document!!!
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its not a computer game, its a card game.
And these are the rules of it (see attachment).
Oops, the attachment is too big. Its a 153 page document!!!
why would u design a card game for a computer class?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Heres the link if your interested http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprul...ules120103.txt
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
why would u design a card game for a computer class?
I'm not designing the game. All i'm doing is designing a system storing member data, and managing tournaments and leagues of the game.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not designing the game. All i'm doing is designing a system storing member data, and managing tournaments and leagues of the game.
OH right. i've just been givin my database assignment. all i have to do is design an appointment system for a driving school.

Anyway, i can see your point. Your game is complicated. why don't you just write down the basic stuff.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
OH right. i've just been givin my database assignment. all i have to do is design an appointment system for a driving school.

Anyway, i can see your point. Your game is complicated. why don't you just write down the basic stuff.
Well here we can choose our own assignment (unfortunately, i had to do something complicated)
Well there is a basic rule guide as well, which is still 60 pages long.
But also i'm going to have to write some stuff about it down in my analysis, which is already 6 pages long, without any description.
Maybe i'll just include video's of tournament matches with it, so the moderator can get an idea of how it works!!!
Do they allow you to submit videos?
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well here we can choose our own assignment (unfortunately, i had to do something complicated)
Well there is a basic rule guide as well, which is still 60 pages long.
But also i'm going to have to write some stuff about it down in my analysis, which is already 6 pages long, without any description.
Maybe i'll just include video's of tournament matches with it, so the moderator can get an idea of how it works!!!
Do they allow you to submit videos?
i dount it. someone else could have done it all. Writing proves that it is your own work.

When i say the basics, i mean THE BASICS. what you basically do when it is your move. e.g. pick up a card, if it is a good monster then place it on the field.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
i dount it. someone else could have done it all. Writing proves that it is your own work.

When i say the basics, i mean THE BASICS. what you basically do when it is your move. e.g. pick up a card, if it is a good monster then place it on the field.
Well okay then, what about taping myself and someone playing a game?

The basics are the 60 page document.
There are aobut 20 pages of game rules, and 35 of a glossary of terms that you need to know to play the game.
I'm sure the glossary isn't all needed, but the 20 pages are the basics!
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well okay then, what about taping myself and someone playing a game?

The basics are the 60 page document.
There are aobut 20 pages of game rules, and 35 of a glossary of terms that you need to know to play the game.
I'm sure the glossary isn't all needed, but the 20 pages are the basics!
do you have to submit the rules as part of your final assignment or do you have to just do it for your teacher.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
do you have to submit the rules as part of your final assignment or do you have to just do it for your teacher.
No, the rules aren't necessary. At least, the game rules aren't. The tournament rules for scoring are though.
But this is about giving context to the project, and helping my teacher understand what i am attempting to do the project for, and understand the mechanics of how the game works for enhancements to my database structure and layout etc.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, the rules aren't necessary. At least, the game rules aren't. The tournament rules for scoring are though.
But this is about giving context to the project, and helping my teacher understand what i am attempting to do the project for, and understand the mechanics of how the game works for enhancements to my database structure and layout etc.
your right. you should have picked something simpler. Like Yu Gi Oh.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
your right. you should have picked something simpler. Like Yu Gi Oh.
Hahaha. Yeah, but nobody would join a yu gi oh card club.
At least, nobody over 13 or something.
And yu gi oh tournaments don't offer prize money totalling about $200,000 per tournament, with first prize about $35,000 to $40,000.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hahaha. Yeah, but nobody would join a yu gi oh card club.
At least, nobody over 13 or something.
And yu gi oh tournaments don't offer prize money totalling about $200,000 per tournament, with first prize about $35,000 to $40,000.
you'd be surpriced at the Yu Gi Oh fans. i know someone who is 20 and is a huge Yu Gi Oh fan.

but fair point. i'm thinking of getting involved in this game (the Magic one) for ages but my local gaming shop is in Liverpool City Centre. And i can't be arsed getting up and going there.
androidkiller
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How about just listing the steps in a turn and give a brief description of what happens.

eg.
1. Untap (turn the right way round) all of your cards
2. Draw a card from your deck
3. Play a single land if you want to.
4. Play and creatures or spells by turning (tapping) land cards sideways to pay for them. For example, a card with a single tree means you tap a forest to use it, while a water drop and a 3 means you tap an island and any 3 others.
5. Decide if you want to attack. any creatures you attack with, tap...

and so on.

I don't want to do it for you though.
they don't really need to know about the stack or any special abilities like fly.

Hope this helped.

By the way, do you play Magic: The Gathering Online? I would if I could afford to be on the Internet for ages!
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by androidkiller)
How about just listing the steps in a turn and give a brief description of what happens.

eg.
1. Untap (turn the right way round) all of your cards
2. Draw a card from your deck
3. Play a single land if you want to.
4. Play and creatures or spells by turning (tapping) land cards sideways to pay for them. For example, a card with a single tree means you tap a forest to use it, while a water drop and a 3 means you tap an island and any 3 others.
5. Decide if you want to attack. any creatures you attack with, tap...
man, i don't get point 4 and that seems like the shorten version.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (542)
66.5%
No (273)
33.5%

Watched Threads