Revision is Cheating! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Michael Beaver
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I have decided that revision is cheating as it gives the nerdy students an unfair advantage.

Now I know people are thinking prospective employers are looking for people who have shown they can work hard as well as people who are capable academically. But revision is unlimitied, within reason, and so doesn't give an indication of how much was due to the person's academic ability and how much of their qualification was due to how hard they work. I think academic institutions like universities should be there as a test of a person's academic capability not how hard they work. The business world requires hard work and so maybe people intent on spending their lives working should go straight there.
Obviously if you did no work you would learn nothing but if you do more work than everybody else you have an unfair advantage.

Anyway I have an exam tomorrow and its too boring to be revising for. Funny how I formulated my theory today isn't it?
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Michael Beaver)
I have decided that revision is cheating as it gives the nerdy students an unfair advantage.

Now I know people are thinking prospective employers are looking for people who have shown they can work hard as well as people who are capable academically. But revision is unlimitied, within reason, and so doesn't give an indication of how much was due to the person's academic ability and how much of their qualification was due to how hard they work. I think academic institutions like universities should be there as a test of a person's academic capability not how hard they work. The business world requires hard work and so maybe people intent on spending their lives working should go straight there.
Obviously if you did no work you would learn nothing but if you do more work than everybody else you have an unfair advantage.

Anyway I have an exam tomorrow and its too boring to be revising for. Funny how I formulated my theory today isn't it?
thats a stupid theroy and is an insult to nerds everywhere.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

So putting more work in is unfair?
I don't really understand that, but i do get your point about measuring ability rather than measuring peoples practice of something.
But how would you stop people who wanted to revise from revising?
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iluvatar)
So putting more work in is unfair?
I don't really understand that, but i do get your point about measuring ability rather than measuring peoples practice of something.
But how would you stop people who wanted to revise from revising?

I didn't say it was practical I was just thinking aloud as it were.

How many people in my uni got AAA at 'A' level and then ended up with a crumby old 2:1. I think at uni its more difficult to just work hard because you need to understand the subject.

In second year at my uni there was just too much work for even the nerdiest nerds and so if you didn't understand in the lecture you were screwed. That really showed the more academic students.
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

How many people in my uni got AAA at 'A' level and then ended up with a crumby old 2:1. I think at uni its more difficult to just work hard because you need to understand the subject.

In second year at my uni there was just too much work for even the nerdiest nerds and so if you didn't understand in the lecture you were screwed. That really showed the more academic students.
thats properly your opinion though. My sister is loving her Politics course at uni.
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
thats properly your opinion though. My sister is loving her Politics course at uni.
Well I know how much work I did that year and it wasn't much. I also know I was top of the year (*breathes on finger nails and polishes them on shirt*) and I know how the usual suspects did. Its my experience really.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Cannot "nerds" be intelligent? Is a nerd someone who isn't that great but revises a lot to reach their full potential while an "academic" student would not need to revise, or can you have an academic nerd who is both intelligent and revises to reach his or her full potential?
jediknight007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How is revision cheating when you don't know what the questions will be in the exams? Revision is just going other stuff that you have been taught throughout the year. But yea, I do agree that cramming loads of info into your LTM the night before an exam is bad. Some people who do that do better in the exams than those who have been planning for months. I might have considered myself one of those on one occasion.
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by meepmeep)
Cannot "nerds" be intelligent? Is a nerd someone who isn't that great but revises a lot to reach their full potential while an "academic" student would not need to revise, or can you have an academic nerd who is both intelligent and revises to reach his or her full potential?

I dont care no more. I just hate revision and I'm trying to justify doing nothing so I can go watch the tele.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Interesting... I guess exams test how much you crammed in the night before rather than what you actually know. How much of the stuff you revised for the exam are you likely to remember afterwards?
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by jediknight007)
How is revision cheating when you don't know what the questions will be in the exams? Revision is just going other stuff that you have been taught throughout the year.

I'm thinking of maths subjects where eventually you will have done every conceivable question that you could be asked in an exam and so when you get to it you dont have to think.
Falguni
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if ppl are intelligent but are not willing to work hard then they are not of much use in jobs. i would consider these kind of ppl as quite egotisical and resting on their laurels

most ppl who work hard are also intelligent because they know that hard work is the way to suceed - esp if you have a bad memory

tho there are some ppl who could do well in exams without revising - this is not the majority - personally if you can do well without revising its probably cause you have a better memory
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Interesting... I guess exams test how much you crammed in the night before rather than what you actually know. How much of the stuff you revised for the exam are you likely to remember afterwards?

Well with my appalling memory not much. In fact I did some revision last week for tomorrow's exam and its like a different subject now.
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by Falguni)
if ppl are intelligent but are not willing to work hard then they are not of much use in jobs. i would consider these kind of ppl as quite egotisical and resting on their laurels

most ppl who work hard are also intelligent because they know that hard work is the way to suceed - esp if you have a bad memory

tho there are some ppl who could do well in exams without revising - this is not the majority - personally if you can do well without revising its probably cause you have a better memory
I've always worked very hard for my employers just not for myself.
Falguni
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
yes in a way it is - i have probably forgotten most of what i learnt at alevel and now just remember the jist of things
Falguni
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've always worked very hard for my employers just not for myself.
why would you not want to work hard for ureself?

i guess it depends on your level of motivation and the value you place on the achievement - if you really wanted to do well then you would make sure by revising - still keeping motivated with distractioins isnt easy

personallly i couldnt go into an exam without revising - even if i could do well id be worried about what if something i didnt know well - maybe cause i had forgotten about it, came up.
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
An ex-employer of mine asked me if I would like to return to his accounts department once I have finished my engineering degree. At the time I thought why would he want an engineering graduate to be an accountant as well as thinking he obviously doesn't know why I'm going to uni!

But really any graduate with a good degree has shown that they are capable of thinking as well as practiced at it. It's not the knowledge I would aquire that he was interested in it was the ability to think and concentrate that one gains going to university. The more revision you do the better to some extent you will become at this and so doing nothing for three or four years is pointless. However, I think that there is a limit to how much you will gain simply by doing problem after problem within the same subject. I think you will perform better in exams but I dont think you will become a better thinker if you do similar questions over and over.

Much better is to look into other subject and do other things whilst you are at uni but this will give you less time to concentrate on one subject, which may harm your degree, but will benefit you in other ways.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
this has gotta be the most idiotic thing i ever heard EVER! whats unfair about some people putting in the work to pass? thats like saying going to lessons and listening is unfair!
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
this has gotta be the most idiotic thing i ever heard EVER! whats unfair about some people putting in the work to pass? thats like saying going to lessons and listening is unfair!
Guess so actually... it's like saying exams discriminate against people just because they aren't good at a subject.
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by El_Borish)

To be honest I wasn't entirely being serious with this post.

What I will say though is that going to lectures and litening is fair and you should follow and understand what you are being taught there and then. If you dont then you can make up for it studying in your own time but the better students will have understood it first time around. However, in the exam there is no way to differentiate between someone who understood quickly because they are good at the subject and someone who had to read over the subject a few times because they were a bit slow.

University is all about academia but non-academic people can do better than lazier academics because they do more work. That was my point although I was not being entirely serious.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (620)
80.62%
Leave (149)
19.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed