This discussion is closed.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Michael Beaver)
I have decided that revision is cheating as it gives the nerdy students an unfair advantage.

dont freak me out....someone i know said that to me earlier...your not an exeter uni are you?

love Katy ***
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To be honest I was entirely being serious with this post.

What I will say though is that going to lectures and litening is fair and you should follow and understand what you are being taught there and then. If you dont then you can make up for it studying in your own time but the better students will have understood it first time around. However, in the exam there is no way to differentiate between someone who understood quickly because they are good at the subject and someone who had to read over the subject a few times because they were a bit slow.

University is all about academia but non-academic people can do better than lazier academics because they do more work. That was my point although I was not being entirely serious.
uni isnt entirely acedmic, it depends what course you choose. how unfair would it be if exams discriminated against those who had done revision, making them harder? that just takes out the point of putting the work in. everyone would probably not work just so they got concessions made for them.
mrmarsupial
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do physics then, i had a physics exam today i did no revision and i prob got an B/A was easy
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mrmarsupial)
do physics then, i had a physics exam today i did no revision and i prob got an B/A was easy
im not saying some people aren't able to pass exams without revision, some are, but its in no way cheating!
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
im not saying some people aren't able to pass exams without revision, some are, but its in no way cheating!
i agre on that !!!
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by prince_capri)
i agre on that !!!
many thanks. in fact,. most people appear to, i think its just Michael beaver that thniks it. lol
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
many thanks. in fact,. most people appear to, i think its just Michael beaver that thniks it. lol

I ought to say, once again, that I wasn't being 100% serious about this revision topic. However, there is no way to differentiate between a bright student who does no work and a slow student who does nothing but work when it comes to exams. Or at least from the overall grades.

Its a positive thing to do work and the lazy student deserves what they get but it doesn't mean to say my point is wrong.

What would bother me is somebody who thinks they are particularly clever because they out do others in an exam simply because they work harder than them. Thus saying I have so many As at 'A' level doesn't say that much about your potential intellect other than you had sufficient experience to get these grades at the time of doing your exam.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To be honest I was entirely being serious with this post.
???
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
???
Who are you quotin' there pal. Maybe you wanna check what I wrote again.

Handy that edit button isn't it.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Who are you quotin' there pal. Maybe you wanna check what I wrote again.

Handy that edit button isn't it.

boring now

bye
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have decided that revision is cheating as it gives the nerdy students an unfair advantage.

Now I know people are thinking prospective employers are looking for people who have shown they can work hard as well as people who are capable academically. But revision is unlimitied, within reason, and so doesn't give an indication of how much was due to the person's academic ability and how much of their qualification was due to how hard they work. I think academic institutions like universities should be there as a test of a person's academic capability not how hard they work. The business world requires hard work and so maybe people intent on spending their lives working should go straight there.
Obviously if you did no work you would learn nothing but if you do more work than everybody else you have an unfair advantage.

Anyway I have an exam tomorrow and its too boring to be revising for. Funny how I formulated my theory today isn't it?

this is one thing we can both agree on! YAY!!! what exam have you got? or did you do?
eeve02
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont care no more. I just hate revision and I'm trying to justify doing nothing so I can go watch the tele.
You have the rest of your life to do the fun stuff such as watching TV, but revising and working hard now means that later you will be able to afford a TV to watch for the rest of your life. If you hate revising then tell yourself that your revising for an hour or 2 a night then straight after you will have the rest of the night for doing what you want without felling guilty. Get yourself in a routine...
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When you have incoherent biology teachers you need to revise more than others if you're not learning anything in the lesson.
Alexander04
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i revise that's how i get my grades! But i wish i didn't have to
00leam2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by prince_capri)
i agre on that !!!
tell
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have 6As at AS which came from revision and reading outside my subjects.

Would you call me a cheat?
dforster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Now I know people are thinking prospective employers are looking for people who have shown they can work hard as well as people who are capable academically. But revision is unlimitied, within reason, and so doesn't give an indication of how much was due to the person's academic ability and how much of their qualification was due to how hard they work. I think academic institutions like universities should be there as a test of a person's academic capability not how hard they work. The business world requires hard work and so maybe people intent on spending their lives working should go straight there.
Obviously if you did no work you would learn nothing but if you do more work than everybody else you have an unfair advantage.

Anyway I have an exam tomorrow and its too boring to be revising for. Funny how I formulated my theory today isn't it?
this is spot on! and a theory that my friends and I have held for a long while...particularly with AS levels if you can do retakes- there is 0 point...its always refreshing to get an A and know that you put absolutely no work into it...however it can backfire slightly...i did no work for my human geography module at A2...for the whole year i handed in hardly any work because- well human is one of those things- you either get it or you dont- revision is for the people who either dont get it...or are worried....i was neither...i got like a mid b for my human module...still got an A overall....remember....

revision just is a waste of time...go out- have fun...worry about exams the night before

[DISCLAIMER: this post will not be held responsible for getting bright young kids into ****...the author takes no responsibility for you not being able to judge your own ability....furthermore the views held in this post are of the author and should not be taken to reflect anyone elses...if you are stupid enough to listen to him then that is your fault.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dforster)
this is spot on! and a theory that my friends and I have held for a long while...particularly with AS levels if you can do retakes- there is 0 point...its always refreshing to get an A and know that you put absolutely no work into it...however it can backfire slightly...i did no work for my human geography module at A2...for the whole year i handed in hardly any work because- well human is one of those things- you either get it or you dont- revision is for the people who either dont get it...or are worried....i was neither...i got like a mid b for my human module...still got an A overall....remember....

revision just is a waste of time...go out- have fun...worry about exams the night before
I thought i was terrible. You're worse than me. I have to revise for my A2s - i'm taking no risks with it! I want to go to uni!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (473)
59.35%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.4%
No- I want it (228)
28.61%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.65%

Watched Threads