This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I think Exams in SOME subjects are primarily memory tests! This is not fair because I have a rubbish memory. I'm not saying they are ONLY memory tests, but in SOME subjects how good your memory is can determine your grade.

What do YOU think?
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
I think Exams in SOME subjects are primarily memory tests! This is not fair because I have a rubbish memory. I'm not saying they are ONLY memory tests, but in SOME subjects how good your memory is can determine your grade.

What do YOU think?
Half my chemistry exam tomorrow is simply remembering structural formulae and conditions for reactions with their mechanisms for vairous organic chemicals, while the other half is more technique with various calculations (which I enjoy more because you can revise it by doing the questions rather than hard graft of copying out things until you can remember them).
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exams should test your understanding because you forget the details so quickly anyway. If you understand a subject then you will always remember the basic principles or at least you'll remember them for a long time.
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by meepmeep)
Half my chemistry exam tomorrow is simply remembering structural formulae and conditions for reactions with their mechanisms for vairous organic chemicals, while the other half is more technique with various calculations (which I enjoy more because you can revise it by doing the questions rather than hard graft of copying out things until you can remember them).
yeah that's why I was interested to see what people doing other subjects though coz i wouldn't have a clue about chemistry. I find psychology soooo bad coz there is just so much to learn, but then i find english much easier because you hardly have to use you memory at all - just know the text and learn a few quotes - that's all you need to do. I think maths was the worst for memory - if you couldn't remember the method then you were screwed. Basically i'm just saying i think some exams test your memory, rather than how intelligent you actually are.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
maths is a bit on how good you can memorise formulae, but most of it is based on how good you understand the principles, and if you understand how to apply the formulae.

Most of the exams test more your understanding of the subjct than your memory. The fact that yopu remember that (lander) = x times s all devidid by Distanceto screen doesn't mean you undertand why diffrection, and how it happens.

go to go everbody has been chucked out of the library...
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah that's why I was interested to see what people doing other subjects though coz i wouldn't have a clue about chemistry. I find psychology soooo bad coz there is just so much to learn, but then i find english much easier because you hardly have to use you memory at all - just know the text and learn a few quotes - that's all you need to do. I think maths was the worst for memory - if you couldn't remember the method then you were screwed. Basically i'm just saying i think some exams test your memory, rather than how intelligent you actually are.
I've always found maths not that bad for memorising things because you only have to remember the methods which are applicable to a wide range of questions while in things like chemistry it is more like learning a set answer to a specific question, but I see your point anyway.
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michael Beaver)
Exams should test your understanding because you forget the details so quickly anyway. If you understand a subject then you will always remember the basic principles or at least you'll remember them for a long time.
you don't do psychology do you? it's all about tiny details and different studies - the essay writing side tests your ability to create a balanced argument and view of the different theories etc, but mainly it's just learning studies - how long someone slept for etc - that's waht gets you the AO1 marks - and that is testing MEMORY.
Falguni
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

What do YOU think?
i agree!!!!

shame i have a poor memory - means i have too revise - esp arts subjects or any subject with tons of theory and essay writing

thats probably why i took sciences at alevel - its more about understanding (well except for biology) and there is less to learn to memory
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

What do YOU think?
Biology is one of these subjects as well.

Of course, these kind of subjects do require understanding, which can help immensely with the actual learning. Also, they require the application of your knowledge.

At the end of the day, it is how well you put down your answers on the exam paper.

J.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
At my uni they don't expect you know things in memoric order. In otherwords if you understood a theory but forgot who developed it if I you mention the concept you would still get some marks.

This why my course don't give you programming exams because they don't expect you to remember all that syntax.
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
At my uni they don't expect you know things in memoric order. In otherwords if you understood a theory but forgot who developed it if I you mention the concept you would still get some marks.

This why my course don't give you programming exams because they don't expect you to remember all that syntax.
that's good - i was wondering what it would be like in the uni exams, although for the course i'm doing it would be difficult to involve very much to do with memory (one of the reasons i chose it)
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
that's good - i was wondering what it would be like in the uni exams, although for the course i'm doing it would be difficult to involve very much to do with memory (one of the reasons i chose it)
What course?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I passed a programming exam in my first year without attending any of the lectures or learning the language (VB) - I just wrote out the algorithms

But then I've never had trouble with algorithms...it's translating algorithms into code that gets me swearing and shouting and promising never to do programming again
TK
Rep:
?
What course?
Television Production (and other similar courses - photography, cinema, tv studies is the ne at leeds) - the unis i've applied to vary a lot - TV Studies at Warwick is purely theoretical which is why i won't be going there (i know it's a great uni n all as everyone keeps telling me, but i can't take anymore theory). At Bournemouth (the TV Production course) it's much more practical.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads