The Student Room Group

STEP I or STEP II?

I understand that those without FM background are suitable for STEP I and II.

In that case, it's confusing for ppl like me without FM, who're selecting which STEP to attempt; why is it that they can't combine these 2 STEP into a single paper? If STEP II is more difficult than STEP I, it'll obvious ppl will choose STEP I as it's easier? What's the point of setting STEP II then?

So lets say you're in my situation, would you do STEP I or II, or simply take both and take the better result?:confused:
Original post by superkinetic

In that case, it's confusing for ppl like me without FM, who're selecting which STEP to attempt; why is it that they can't combine these 2 STEP into a single paper? If STEP II is more difficult than STEP I, it'll obvious ppl will choose STEP I as it's easier? What's the point of setting STEP II then?

So lets say you're in my situation, would you do STEP I or II, or simply take both and take the better result?:confused:

Take both.
Reply 2
If STEP II is more difficult than STEP I, it'll obvious ppl will choose STEP I as it's easier? What's the point of setting STEP II then?
Because Cambridge will ask for STEP II (and they're the ones setting the exams).

Take both. It would be unusual to do better on STEP II than STEP I, but it does happen.
Reply 3

Warwick asks for STEP and doesn't specify which, so usually people who get offers from Warwick will just do STEP I. Cambridge asks either for STEP II+III (if you've done FM) or I+II (if not). For this reason, STEP I and STEP III are usually scheduled at the same time, because barely anyone takes both. If I and II were combined, then those doing FM would have to do more exams than those doing single Maths, and people applying to Warwick would end up with a harder exam.

But in your situation I'd probably do both (especially if it wasn't part of an offer).
Reply 4
oic the purpose of having 2 different kinds of STEP is to cater to both applying to Warwick and Cambridge.

Thanks everyone for yr input!

Quick Reply

Latest