Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have the following question which I have failed to solve:

Three towns A, B and C lie on a straight road running east from A. B is 6 km from A and C is 22 km from A. Another town D lies to the north of this road and it lies 10 km from both B abd C. Calculate the distance of D from A and the bearing of D from A. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salem)
    Hi!

Three towns A, B and C lie on a straight road running east from A. B is 6 km from A and C is 22 km from A. Another town D lies to the north of this road and it lies 10 km from both B abd C. Calculate the distance of D from A and the bearing of D from A. :cool:
    Just draw a picture and you find:

AD = sqrt(14^2+6^2)=sqrt(232)

I am not sure what you mean by bearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by way2go)
    Just draw a picture and you find:

AD = sqrt(14^2+6^2)=sqrt(232)

I am not sure what you mean by bearing.
    bearing is the angle from north.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salem)
    Hi!

try using pythagaros' theourum instead of trig...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salem)
    Hi!

Sorry not to spoonfeed you but have you tried drawing a little sketch? Here are a couple of hints:

Triangle BCD is isosceles.
    Make sure you know the cosine rule.

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salem)
    Hi!

First thing to do is construct a diagram of the problem.

A, B and C should be on a straight line. Since D is the same distance from B and C this should tell you that BCD is an isosceles triangle. It will also be helpful to split this triangle down the middle so you get a right angled triangle. You can then use Pythagoras' theorem to find the length of AD. From this, you can get the bearing.

Good luck

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.