The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

mikerowesoft

microsoft is sueing this website http://www.mikerowesoft.com for using a name that sounds like its own, even though the owner is called Mike Rowe. and the website has nothing to do with microsoft or anything that it does, so it is not cashing in on the name.

i think this is totally crazy.... what next? multinational corporations copyrighting names and surnames?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
elpaw
microsoft is sueing this website http://www.mikerowesoft.com for using a name that sounds like its own, even though the owner is called Mike Rowe. and the website has nothing to do with microsoft or anything that it does, so it is not cashing in on the name.

i think this is totally crazy.... what next? multinational corporations copyrighting names and surnames?

microsoft has a history of slash and burn when it comes to rival companies. either buy them out, or if they dont acept, sink their business though competition or legal action. (they have some VERY expensive lawyers, lol)
elpaw

Hehe. That'll teach him for having a funny name.
Reply 3
El_Borish
microsoft has a history of slash and burn when it comes to rival companies. either buy them out, or if they dont acept, sink their business though competition or legal action. (they have some VERY expensive lawyers, lol)

he he - just noticed ure sig.

i think it's stupid too. hope they lose and can't sue him. idiots
Reply 4
Tinykates
he he - just noticed ure sig.

i think it's stupid too. hope they lose and can't sue him. idiots

:smile::smile::smile::wink:
Reply 5
El_Borish

but it's not a rival business, it's just a student who does a bit of website design, a bit like amazingtrade, and who just happens to be coincidentally called mike rowe. and microsoft are suing him for having that name.
Reply 6
I heard on the radio they sent him some 25 page letter after the initial notification that he was 'breaching' copyright law which offered to buy the name of his website for $10.....how lame is that???

G
Reply 7
elpaw
but it's not a rival business, it's just a student who does a bit of website design, a bit like amazingtrade, and who just happens to be coincidentally called mike rowe. and microsoft are suing him for having that name.

well they can't sue someone for having a name it's sooooooooo stupid. it's their fault for calling their company microsoft, sounding like mike rowe. they should have called it billgatesoft then would be no problem.
Reply 8
if he called his website michaelrowesoft.com there wouldn't be a problem. of course it sounds a bit lame though
Reply 9
elpaw

It is a business. that'll probably be his downfall, since it can be argued that he used the name in order to mislead consumers into thinking he was microsoft. its a little heavy handed of microsoft, since this is a just a kid with a little part-time hobby of his, and obviously no match for the real microsot, but it is legally a business and what he is trying to do is use microsofts image to his benefit.
Reply 10
I'd have thought that, since it is primarily a business focused around a website and the names don't look anything alike, there wouldn't be a problem. Anyone with half a braincell could see the difference between Mikeroesoft and Microsoft and know the two are not connected, just as the makers of prosthetic limbs don't sue the lego company.
Reply 11
This is a stupidity made by Microsoft.
What do you think about the Eolas case?
Isn't that another stupidity?
Reply 12
meepmeep
I'd have thought that, since it is primarily a business focused around a website and the names don't look anything alike, there wouldn't be a problem. Anyone with half a braincell could see the difference between Mikeroesoft and Microsoft and know the two are not connected, just as the makers of prosthetic limbs don't sue the lego company.

he doesn't program any software. he designs webpages. his name should have been mikerowedesign. but he chose soft, most probably because it sounded cool. i would have done the same. then he tells them he wants to sell it for $10,000. that may signify his intent that he was squatting for microsoft, and wants a payoff.
elpaw

sure it would be an interesting case !!!
Reply 14
Worlds best oxymoron

MicrosoftWorks
Reply 15
phreek
Worlds best oxymoron

MicrosoftWorks

lol!

they'l try asnd get him under imitation and image-stealing laws - surely they cant touch him for the name itself?
Reply 16
They have to take up the case against Mike Rowe or else they won't be legally allowed to defend a real breach of their trademark. It'll probably end up with an out of court settlement, because it'll prove very embarassing for Microsoft to take a 17 year old to court.
Reply 17
yes it is petty, but hes blatently ripping it off microsoft, (a bit hypocritical by ms!)

when we had ukl . com no one liked it
Reply 18
G4ry
They have to take up the case against Mike Rowe or else they won't be legally allowed to defend a real breach of their trademark. It'll probably end up with an out of court settlement, because it'll prove very embarassing for Microsoft to take a 17 year old to court.

It would be highly amusing for the 17yr old to sue Microsoft for undue emotional damages resulting from the law suit though. *nods insistently*
elpaw

lol thats funny! i read about it in the metro on the way to school...hehehe...i think bill gates is being unreasonable but then he can cant he...he controls most of the financial markets in the world or he has a massive influence...

Latest

Trending

Trending